SlotForum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
QUOTE Real estate expensive.. if only he knew

People dont believe us when we tell them what we pay

Ok then. What is the typical club rental/real estate cost in the UK?

It clearly helps if you happen to know a farmer or a landlord who also happens to be a slot car enthusiast. But for us townies (the majority?) this is likely to be a cloud cuckoo event.

The only way I can see bringing room costs down is to hire a room or a hall for an evening and that means a portable layout.

The other way would be to advertise in the local paper wanted column and hope that a local enthusiast who has space available reads the advert and gets in touch. In fact that does sound like a good idea.

Or of course approach your local council with a plan to get the local young yobbos off the streets and into your slot car leisure facility. They probably have rooms available. Some of us do happen to live in areas with massive anti social behaviour problems and this appears to be a nationwide issue in all parts of the big cities.

I wonder how Jonny S. would deal with some of the young hoodlums who mooch around our area in gangs if they turned up for a slot racing session at Phoenix?

Moped

PS remember that the law is now not as it was in the 1960's and the standard answer that I get is "if you touch me I am going to call the police" as you are watching the local yobbo spraying graffiti all over your garage door!

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I am the local yobbo round here!

Moped you need to look harder, think about the options.

I'm never sure how we got our place but damn it's good!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
QUOTE (moped rider @ 22 Jul 2004, 10:08)I wonder how Jonny S. would deal with some of the young hoodlums who mooch around our area in gangs if they turned up for a slot racing session at Phoenix
Well I hope that jonny may remember his military background and just shoot the scum

If I ever hear of my kids turning into young hoodlums, they will feel the short tempered end of my wrath, do-gooding social services notwithstanding. There's far too much kid-glove treatment these days. I mean how can you perform a citizen's arrest on a yobbo without coming up for an assault charge? Do citizen's arrests still exist?

There isn't any respect for law enforcement any more because most of them swan about in their warm panda cars looking to harrass the motorcyclist or motorist in order to generate revenue, instead of doing real policing

When I was a kid in the 70's there was still repsect for the police and a small amount of fear too when you were playing wehre you were not supposed to!

It's a shame the old village hall at Chipping where I live got torched, It would have been an ideal slot racing venue - car park next door, my house about 200 yards away

MArk.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And that is the other big issue/cost isn't it.

Security and fire precautions. Even if you have the premises loaned to you for free you then need to spend a few bob getting the place secure because if you don't the above scenario happens or the place gets ransacked overnight. It really does make you wonder about the prospects for any club in a city that is not within an already secured building with security staff on the doors, etc.

There just were not these issues to consider in the 1960's. Any respect that folk and youngsters had for anybody making an effort to provide facilities for young locals in an area has gone out of the window in todays British society. I bet the Spanish and Italian slot car clubs don't have these problems in the areas in which they operate.

And then there a local rates/taxes. Even if you are a club you have to pay them if you are located in a permanent building. It is something I have gone into and you are talking business rates!

So as well as paying VAT on all the club kit you then pay tax just for standing still. No wonder there are so few slot car clubs around the country.

Could not the NSSC lobby parliment and Mr Blair for reliefs from certain burdens?

Moped

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Some good points above in what is a question which tackles the biggest issue for consideration in creating a club.

The rent and associated costs are always linked as far as rent,rates,buildings and contents insurance and public liability and tax, VAT etc. The total sum you arrive at determines wether you are going to be a small club or if you need to create a much bigger outfit.

Security is a big issue, look at the Crypt club and shop. The alarm fitted to Phoenix wasn`t cheap but rings my mobile and me and the dog are there in the Landrover in 90 secs (practised that). What we arrive with is my business but when I get enquiries from potential scumbags I always include in the conversation my security arrangements and highlight my shot gun. The build of the club is dependant upon security. The P C`s and monitors are installed loosely in the hope that if the worst happens then maybe they`ll settle for taking them. The track is nailed down and who would want to lift that? The worst scenario is that vandals target your club.

I actually live on the edge of town, any farm estate on the edge of a town is gonna be worth asking about premises. Councils? Don`t make me laugh! I asked and was told there is not enough interest. They just granted 3/4 Million £ to ruin our local park and build a skate park in it. Makes you giggle on razor blades.

To answer the question about yobs turning up at the club? Been there and still have that happen. That`s part of the job. You need a strong personality and a no nonsense approach to life to ensure that you are in control. Sometimes they are won over but not often.

Overseas they still have idiots but having spent about 25 years of my life abroad I have to admit that in my experience it`s worse here and is getting worse. So as to stick to the slot subject and not go on about politics, I personaly believe that Scalextric should operate a high street presence like Games Workshop and offer franchises, Those that are truly just clubs with a small membership can remain that way and opportunities for a more business like operation could be supported to the mutual benefit of both parties. I understand from a discussion with Adrian Norman that part of his remit is to explore this possibility.

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Saddens me to here Jonny saying we have more scum here, but it only echoes a conversation I was having yesterday. Is it really worse, or is it just us getting old? I have to say, I am getting old, but it seems worse.

I had reason to spend some time at the Magistrate's Court recently. Talk about pond life! As they used to say in Glasgow, "Hanging's to good for them - it's a good kick up the arse they need!"

Nothing to do with slot cars, except it is just this sort of 40-something worry that slot cars provide a diversion from.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm only 24, but I have to agree with you and Jonny. Within the last 5 years its seems that the 'scum factor' has doubled. Unless its just me becoming more aware.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Having lived in the same neighbourhood for 25 years things happen today that simply did not happen 25 or even 10 years ago. The "scum factor" is definitely more evident and this can be an issue for those thinking of setting up new clubs.

However, we are fighting back in our neighbourhood with a pro-active neighbourhood watch scheme and we have lists of names of local yobbos that are reported to the police as and when an "incident" happens. The Mini Mopeds know them all!

A number of Anti Social Behaviour Orders have been issued and our neighbourhood is definitely seeing better days. Anybody suffering similar issues should definitely set up a neigbourhood watch scheme. It works!

Moped

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Just to highlight the positive, I should also say that at our club we really do have a bunch of smashing kids. The club has thrived on creating a family environment where the greater portion of the membership is `dads and lads`. That,to me says it all.

·
Registered
356 Posts
This thread seems to have gone off topic.
Unfortunatly loutish behaviour seems to be on the up

But i feel we should remeber that that all youngsters are bad, I have recently had a Ctuciate ligament reconstruction and am therefore hobling around on crutches
Any way earlier today i was walking /hobbling to the corner shop and i was struggling to open my drive gate 2 young lads looking very rough around 13-14 YR's old were riding past my house on their bikes one of them stopped asked if i was OK and held the gate open for me
i was very pleasently surprised.

I also help run a local youth club which is attended by some great kids.

The kids that cause trouble are a few in number. If parents teach kids right from wrong and respect generally children demonstrate what they are taught.

My tuppence worth

Wayne

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Clearly the way to go for clubs is to have a family atmosphere if the younger generation are involved. Generally you can spot a yobbo at 100 paces as they have a certain manner and dress code about them and no doubt Jonny and others have their eye on the pulse in this regard. I suppose it could be argued that it takes one to know one!

It is more a question of the harm that they can do when the club and facilities around the club proximity are closed that is of concern. But much less of a concern though if a club is open all hours as Phoenix appears to be. Barbed wire unfortunately is not the answer legally but massive bramble bushes certainly are, except that yobbos set fire to them.

Our local petrol station tried the bramble solution only for the yobbos to set fire to them (next to the petrol station!).

Remember that in our day (the 60's) we had mods, rockers, hells angels, hippies and various other groups but all we did was chase and attack each other. We did not do the acts of mindless criminal damage that the yobbos of today carry out in the name of fun. The punk era of the late seventies may have been the start of this combined with the "loads of money" Thatcher years and the drink culture that eminated from this.

The kids of today are the sons and daughters of the generation of young adults from this period remember.

But I also agree with wayneslot that it is a small mindless minority only and that the great proportion of young kids/adults are decent people and would make fine slot car club members.

Moped

·
Jim Moyes
5,046 Posts
Well, he has got his eye on the pulse, Inte, so you have to take your (burberry) hat off to him.................

1 - 14 of 14 Posts