SlotForum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
be gentle with me guys....its my first post! just got back into slots after a long , long break , thanks to buying the boy his first scalextric set for xmas. the beast has well and truly been re-awoken. i have dug out all my old cars from the loft and re-comissioned most and have added a few new to the fleet aswell as a couple of "projects"! the only one that i am really struggling with is a pre-owned scalextric richard burns bug-eye wrc (#5). the car runs sweet as , except for the fact that it sounds really clunky! with the rear off the track it is quiet yet running on the track it makes hell of a row! i have changed the pinion , checked the tyres and changed the guide blade but have run out of ideas! any help would be appreciated as id love to be able to thrash my 7 year old without having to wear ear defenders!!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Possiblbly body too loose on chassis, or maybe body fittings (windscreen, interior etc.) loose and vibrating/rattling against body when car is in motion ?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Changing the pinion though the right idea might not have cured the problem if it is a badly meshing crown wheel or spur gear depending on the type of motor mount.

Mostly this is where you get a lot of noise from a slot car if nothing is obviously loose as steveaca has put forward. Some bed in pinions and crown wheels/spur gears with a bit toothpaste, mostly they will quieten down with use or a tiny drop of oil. So double check that everything is fitted snugly, the motor isn't loose or an axle not quite fitted right if all is OK, if it's still noisy it's probably a bad mesh.

Be careful with 7 year olds, by the time they get to 14 any ideas of beating them become futile. They know which is the best lane, the best car and the best tactics.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cheers guys , i will pull it all apart again and start scratching my head! any thoughts of beating my 7 year old evaporated after 5 minutes....thank goodness the newer cars are "impact resistant"....they need to be!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts