SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I've finally decided to get around to building a wooden track... Unless I suddenly find myself with loads of spare time, it's not going to be a quick project, but I reckon the time spent will be worth it in the end!

I reckoned that the easiest way to document the build would be with a blog, so here's the link for anyone that's interested and wants to follow my progress...

Cheers,

Doug

·
Ian
99 Posts
Hi Doug,
I like your plan looks a real fun track I particularly like the twisty section which will be great for rally cars, then the long straight to let them stretch their legs on.

I also like the idea of a blog to keep all the information in, just a quick question, you can have a blog here on the Forum, why haven't you gone for one of those?

You will of course have to keep us all informed as to how your build goes and show us lots of photos. You say it is going to be a long project I bet as soon as you get your teeth into it, it will take hold and you will finish the basics much quicker than you initially intended.

Good Luck

Regards

Ian

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (bleep @ 25 Aug 2006, 19:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>you can have a blog here on the Forum, why haven't you gone for one of those?
Simply didn't realise they were available; can't have looked hard enough...

QUOTE (bleep @ 25 Aug 2006, 19:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You will of course have to keep us all informed as to how your build goes and show us lots of photos.
I'll do my best mate!

Cheers,

Doug

·
Ian
99 Posts
Morning Bill,
I still have quite a collection which I would love to sell to help fund my new addiction
But they are too big to wrap and pack to sell on ebay

I will come up with a plan at some stage if I really get desperate

Ian

·
Premium Member
5,504 Posts
Hi

Looked at your 'Linky' looks interesting

i think it would be nice to see more pictures,maybe here? are you going to scenic detail it more or just keep for racing only?
would be interesting what your gonna make of it,keep up the good work

Cheerio

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Jaak,

I plan to build it as a race track with scenery as opposed to a scenic layout I race on...
Hope that makes sense!

I'll see if I can link to the pics from my blog or possibly from my mate's picassa url...

Thanks for looking and please check back!

Cheers,

Doug

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok... i just went and got some URL's for the pics and typed a whole load of commentary on it and previewed the post... Guess what?! Little white boxes with red crosses...
So here's a link to Alan's picassa gallery for all the photo's we've taken so far... Clyde Valley Raceway gallery.

The scenery (once we get that far) will mainly be inspired by the surrounding countryside where I live in the Clyde Valley. Loads of trees, rocky outcrops, retaining walls where there were landslides etc... You know those retaining walls you get which look like small boulders held in by wire mesh...? We have quite a few near by and I'm thinking they'll be really easy to model with some fine gravel and a tightly knit type of chicken wire...

Before we get that far though, we need to fill in any holes over screw heads, pivot points, joints etc... Then we'll be painting the slots with their lane colours and laying the tape. Then it'll be onto the masking and painting the rest of the track surface with a coat or two of sandtex...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Finally got somewhere to host photos...

Not knowingly under-engineered!

Whole track.

Steep downhill "esses". Nasty bit of negative camber...

Shallow climb from turn 1 to the hairpin and up to the back straight.

Turns 1 and 3 both decrease radius and you go round. 3's worse than 1 though...

More work has been done though... We've laid down the colour for the two lanes, installed the power feeds and taped the first lane! Hooked up a variable power supply and sent some cars round at 3.5v... Showed up a couple of little catches, but they were easily sorted. Can't wait to get the other lane hooked up and the controller sockets installed!

Also measured the total lap lengths... 52'6"... Couple of slight inaccuracies mean they're about 3/4" different, but I'm not too disappointed for a first attempt...

More piccies soon!

Cheers,

Doug

·
Registered
95 Posts
Cheers mate! Although I was starting to wonder...

Alan did a cracking wee job on the video, huh?! Most impressed...

It had to be sturdy otherwise it would have been far more difficult to build that it already was/is! There's only a 3ft gap along the side of the track in which to work and the main sheets of MDF are/were 5'x10's.

Besides I'm an engineer to trade and I'm sure everyone knows the engineer's mantra...

"If it ain't broke, add more features!"

I like to give myself the option to add whatever feature I like...

Cheers,

Doug

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.