SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i'm new on this forum, even if maybe some of you already know a part of my collection that is shown on Bilbaneforumet (http://www.bilbaneforumet.se/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6805)

Actually, i'm more a vintage stuff collector in general, given that i love all old, vintage, antique stuff (cars, furniture, fashion, art, etc.) and so my love for vintage slot racing (just two years old) is just a part of a bigger interest for all that..

Anyway, i'd like to ask your opinion on a couple of questions to better understand how this vintage slot racing world works and if my approach to it is the "right" one or not..

1-Why, actually, did you start collecting? To try to retrieve a part of your childhood? To have in your hands now what you couldn't buy some years ago? To engage yourself in a kind of race to become an "authority" in the field? To make money? To escape from a petulant wife? To..
?

Me, i started collecting because i love that feeling of the past that comes from these small items..i love to imagine when and where they were bought and maybe played with, it's like time travelling..and for this reason, i should admit, even if i've already got about 500 sets and hundreds of slot cars, i'm hopeless at the technical side of slot racing..because i'm almost just interested to the aesthetical side of the slot rather than to what makes it move..sorry

2-What's the approach to your collection? You keep all your cars under some vitrine and when you want to touch one of them you even wear gloves (i've seen people doing it, i swear
) and so you consider your collection like your home "treasure"? Or you think that, at the end of the day, we're talking about toys, just toys, nothing more than toys? Of course, some of a higher quality and some others of a lower one, some ones made for a more adult public and some others just for children, but anyway always stuff made of metal and plastic, inside a carton box..

Me, even if in my collection there are some very rare or almost unique pieces, i never stop to consider them as toys, and i use them like that..but maybe i'm wrong because, another example, i've seen many times people treating some kits MIB like Holy Grails, and at that point i always ask myself if it's me to be strange or the other guy..

Because, in my opinion, every slot car has in its own name a quite big clue for what it is supposed to do..it's a car (even if a model one) and a car is made to run..so, to keep a set unassembled and spending a dozen years looking at how gorgeous are those wheels laying in a corner of the box, and how amazing is that always silent engine..well, to me it sounds a bit odd

In my opinion, it's like going to buy a Ferrari but asking the dealer to deliver it to your garage totally unassembled, and to spend your saturday nights looking at how brilliant is that gearbox over the table or how soft are those tires so nicely put one on top of another one..

But that's just my opinion, and i can be wrong..so, please, tell me yours..

Cheers, david

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hi David .
Welcome to the forum good questions and an interesting take on your collecting habits!!

When I first got back into this hobby I was very much a racer only and any car I bought was a race car but there came a time when I looked at my collection differently and had so many cars that I couldn't drive them all. I kept on buying them and then my collecting became more specific in that I was more aware of the type of car I enjoyed driving and looking at ,,,that is I was less likely to buy everything I liked .

Then I found myself back tracking and re-buying cars I had bought and raced to have a MIB model (somebody help me!!!) I rarely buy a car to race these days If I do I buy two .

I've never been a collector of anything in the past so this is a relatively new experience for me although I have been collecting for 17 yrs now I'm still very much involved with club racing and I'm now sitting on over 600 cars not sure of the exact number as I'm not game to check but its around there somewhere.

I'm not particularly into the vintage stuff as the main attraction to my re-entering the hobby other than having more cash to throw at it than I did when I was a kid, was the great detail of the models of the more recent cars .

Anyway,, thats my take on it

Cheers Geoff.

·
Registered
942 Posts
When I was a child I wanted to be a truck driver who carries vehicles.

I think I always carried in the blood, a matter of time set to collect exactly, but I think the concept from the very beginning was very clear.

As a child I loved all the toys and all children but especially cars. He had all kinds but definitely my favorites were a pair of Scalextric, they could not compare with the little metal cars without much detail they were also static.

Fortunately, even I have. Of course cars are favorites of my collection.

The American collector usually gets their cars from the case and enjoy them on track.

On the contrary mostly in Europe, many collectors do not take the cars of their showcases. In the extreme case we would talk about gloves, and boxes to keep them light and air.

No possibility is odd, there are collectors of all kinds.

I'm closer to the second type, but without having extreme behavior.

PD : oh, it´s your first message & post, wellcome !

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
Welcome to the Forum David, and thanks for offering an interesting question. I'll be looking forward to seeing pics of some of your collection, including the rarities and the desirables...

A lot of this does come from childhood, of course: all those cars that fascinated me and I could never afford, or that fascinated me for various reasons even tho I knew they would be worthless on the track... But I've always been interested in the history of slot racing, and to me the most fascinating part of the collecting is seeing the incredible variety of things that were produced, from the sublime to the ridiculous as the cliché goes... not to mention all the incredibly creative, or just optimistic scratchbuilders that studded the history of slot racing.

I try to use/race as many cars as possible, but once a collection gets past a certain point, this just isn't possible. And it was always my idea to assemble the boxed cars, but curiously enough I just don't get around to this, even for the very common items. However, I generally don't hesitate in racing even some of the more valuable items in my collection (added patina, non?).

I also try not to judge other collectors, for however they want to approach their collections - chacun son goût, eh? (I do, however, make an exception for Mr. Rampini, who in his book on Slot Cars in Europe, treats children who actually touched and modified their toys as common criminals). But we're all a bit obsessive-compulsive I guess...

Don

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
I started by buying cars to race and always thought it was a huge shame when the got damaged. I could never really understand why people went to the expense of buying cars just for the shelf though.

This soon changed when I found the Scalextric Corvette L-88.

I now have what I conciser to be a substantial collection of cars consisting mainly of American Muscle cars. I have managed to back-fill most of my Fly Viper collection and have most of the Pioneer cars available that are not ridiculously over priced.

For the car to be a shelf queen it need to be un-run, WHY, oh WHY do people run a car round a track to test it before putting it on a shelf!!!!!!

I will be re-photographing all my cars as I now have a portable studio box and light, these will appear on the ASSC website.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
For each one of the reasons for collecting in David's original post, I'm sure there's a least one person who will say yes that's why I do it.

Of course having a particular childhood favourite race car doesn't necessarily mean you go and collect old slot cars.
Memories of a Can Am McLarens or Senna Lotus or whatever mean you might mean you want a slot version that really drove well or really looks well detailed and accurate. Sadly a lot of the vintage slot stuff neither drove well nor looked that good a model.

Then of course there are those who own cars to race.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
I like the early days of slot racing when people would use all kinds of scrap and vandalize houselhold items to make a chassis. There must have been many frustrated housewives at the home of early slot racers who took delight in cutting up curtain rails for the guides and the curtains runners for bearings, and who stank out the kitchen with fibre glass slot shell experiments, and who stole the mercury switch out of the central heating for their brake lights, etc... When I'm sitting down surrounded by vintage bits and pieces I can imagine being back in that time. I missed out on all of that, so I guess it's my way of making up for it. I like the aesthetic side too, the smell of a freshly opened bag of MRRC tyres, or the whiff of plastic in an old airfix kit is just great!
Tom

·
Registered
361 Posts
QUOTE (tomwysom @ 22 Aug 2011, 20:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>When I'm sitting down surrounded by vintage bits and pieces I can imagine being back in that time. I missed out on all of that, so I guess it's my way of making up for it. I like the aesthetic side too, the smell of a freshly opened bag of MRRC tyres, or the whiff of plastic in an old airfix kit is just great!

This sounds familiar to me. I was born in -71, and when I was a kid I admired a Jouef set on the top shelf of a closet. When me and my brother finally got it running, it worked for about two days until something burned out for good.

Today I only collect 60's and early 70's cars, perhaps because of that early trauma. I read slot car books and magazines of the period, and while I understand that new ones are better in every respect, I prefer bringing dirty and browned racers back to life. I don't race much, but I am looking forward to the few vintage events here in Finland. I try to restore all my cars for racing. And I find it totally impossible to discard even the worst wrecks. Anything can be fixed with some creative gluing and vacforming.

·
Registered
455 Posts
It's not like there are any rules ?? I've been into slot cars on and off for over 40 years . When I was a kid in the Sixties I didn't have much money and any new car was a treasured possession but still a toy to be played with . I must have spent hours poring over Catalogue 9 and I always wanted a layout like the Scenic one in the centre and to collect all the cars out of that catalogue.
Times move on and I had (a bit ) more money but times change and ambitions evolve ....as do the cars . At one point I was collecting cars both old and new at a tremendous rate but with the vast range of products available I was a million miles away from buying everything that I liked and I burned out and stopped enjoying the hobby . Fortunately I've never been disenchanted enough to dispose of my collection ....so now on about my fourth time of collecting I have a mix of everything from the Sixties through to the present day but I now find myself mainly buying new editions of Classic cars from previous eras.
But like I said there are no rules and If you like it , can afford it and want to buy it...go for it if it makes you happy

I have too many cars to race them all and I do have some shelf queens but for the most part I do like to see them run around the track ....otherwise you may as well collect static models ! The best thing I ever did was to display as many as possible on the shelves . This way I get the pleasure of seeing them everyday

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Question 1 ('Why, actually, did you start collecting?'):
Some of us were full-scale motor-racing enthusiasts first and like to have models of cars that we admire. Nostalgia or whatever.
I have some diecast and plastic statics for this reason, but operational slot-cars give a better impression of motorsport. I have a few shelf queens but no MIBs.
I don't mean slot-racing is an effective substitute for the real thing, of course. Slot-cars simply become interesting in their own right - the construction and design (especially of the older cars), the variety of models, their performance on a track, etc, and those are aspects well covered above.
Rob J

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am not a collector, more a scratchbuilder and racer at a local club of 1/124th scale hard body cars. Here, though, is a photo of my old Hoffman box and cars I raced at MESAC, Los Angeles, 1965-75

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi guys, first of all i really want to thank you all to have spent some of your time writing your experiences..they give a neophyte like me an interesting insight of the slot racer/collector way to think

What i can take is that, in general, people love to race their cars, because as someone rightly pointed out, if you buy a slot car just to keep it always on a shelf, in this case why not to buy a static model straight away..? I understand that, especially if the slot is a rare and expensive one, it can be a bit hard the be so "brave" to risk to damage it on the track, but to be able to do it gives, in my opinion, a special thrill..and anyway, if you decide to make your slot run, you're not obliged to drive it at the "limit" but, like it happens in the real vintage cars' world, you can just have a bit of a "regularity race", that gives you the priceless emotion to race your favourite toy, and also giving you the pretty same sensation that someone, 30/40/50 years ago, could have felt in running it, without risking a heart disease..

Because, i think, that when we collect something, we don't really own it..i explain better
: if i buy a slot from a collector, usually i'll keep it for some years, but for sure one day me or my family (if i'm not in this world anymore) will sell it to someone else..

So, in a certain way, the slot will have for sure a longer life than my own life, and so i'll be, at the end of the day, just one of the many collectors who will have hold it..so, why not to try the emotion to really use it for what it was built? Because you can be sure that, if not you, someone else in the past or in the future ran or will run it..life is an ever-growing mountain of experiences, so why not to add this one as well, before all of us going to play on the Heaven's slot track
?

I remember that when i was a kid, and my parents bought for me some toys i loved really a lot, i was so attached to them that i actually never used them, because i thought they will have stayed with me for ever and ever, and i didn't want to damage them..the result? That when i grew up, i wasn't interested in them anymore and we threw them away or we gave them to other people..so, at the end of the day, i didn't have them in my possession anymore and i also never knew what was like playing with them..
For this reason, now i don't want to repeat the same experience..

Lorenzo De' Medici rightly said, in the Renaissance's Florence: "Chi vuol esser lieto sia, di doman non v'e' certezza" that, roughly translated, means "whoever wants to be happy should try to be happy now, because we can't know what tomorrow will bring to us"..

Ah, Don, i didn't want to criticise any form of collecting, i just pointed out, for the above reasons, that to treat some toys like the Rosetta Stone, or keeping a collection of kit MIB, to me all that looks a bit odd and not really enjoyable, but maybe, as said, i'm wrong..anyway, different opinions are the salt of every interesting debate..and that's my opinion..

Cheers, david

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Slot cars for me are toys, and toys are made to be played with, and I'm a middle aged man who likes to play with toy cars, my social life consists of meeting up with other (mostly) middle aged men and playing with toy cars.

I like to buy toy cars that look like the cars that used to race when I was a child, so I have a collection of mostly 1970s and early 80s cars, they all get run, just some more than others, if I had enough money I'd buy the 1:1 cars and play with them, but I haven't so I buy slot cars.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ah yes, the Banana Splits...used to watch that in restful black and white. Latterly saw a rerun in its full psychedelic glory and ended up with a headache!

Back to the plot though. My Scalextric experiences began in 1977 when I was nine - the stuff always seemed frighteningly expensive so I was bought a second-hand '61' set with two Mini-Coopers. Would that such things were available for five pounds these days! I only added bits and pieces at birthdays and Christmases. Occasionally people would take pity and give me a few old track sections or a bag of wrecked cars, which I think is why I like to buy them that way now. Rebuilding and making good was always a lot of fun, but we didn't have the advantage of reproduction parts back then. This of course alerted me at a tender age to how nice the older stuff actually was - in addition to being shown my older cousin's Set 40 and lusting after the Formula Juniors and the Blow-out section!

It all got sold in the early 90s, and I started off in about 2003 being driven to get back what I once had (a red C7 type 4 Mini and Grande Bridge aside, I've pretty much achieved that). Latterly, it's a case of getting the odd few nice old cars at a bargain price - you know the sort - the unwanted, unloved, incomplete things covered in white mould and grime, with headless drivers, and bizarre paint jobs that are crying out for a soak in Oven Cleaner. The satisfaction of resurrecting such a thing is far greater to me than buying a new car or a restored one.

There've been some changes in my approach since the old days - I'm a little more bothered about having the correct wheels, and no longer use a soldering iron to fuse broken plastic pieces together (you see, we didn't have that newfangled cyanoacrylate adhesive when I wur a lad).

Jim

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Why did I start collecting? I've always been a hoarder. As a kid I collected Britain's figures, diecast cars, Star Wars figures and Scalextric cars for my set that Dad and I would race with. About 10 years ago, after having my own kids, my then-Mrs and I looked for something cheap and local to do just for ourselves that wasn't to do with babies, work or bills. We went slotting at the local club.

How do I keep my collection? In their boxes, put away. We run 8 classes per three-month season at the club, so 8 cars go into the race/tool box and the rest are stashed away. However I'm usually reliverying one or two cars as well, so their parts are spread around the house in pots and jars and generally infuriating my wife!

One day I hope to have a house with a study in it, where I will put the cars in a cabinet and have a permanent track. But that's some way off yet!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi.
1-When I was a kid my dream was to have a scalextric set, all of my friends had one, after much insistence my parents gave me one, I had three cars.
About five years ago I went with a friend to a market of vintage toys and seeing the same cars that had been, awakened my interest again.
2 - I have them on a vitrine, I have few, but some valuable, I put on track sometimes, and treat them with care but without exaggeration. Greetings.

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
QUOTE Ah, Don, i didn't want to criticise any form of collecting, i just pointed out, for the above reasons, that to treat some toys like the Rosetta Stone, or keeping a collection of kit MIB, to me all that looks a bit odd and not really enjoyable, but maybe, as said, i'm wrong..anyway, different opinions are the salt of every interesting debate..and that's my opinion..
Hi David,
You can also end it quickly by simply jumping off the second floor window...

Many of us like to collect those MIB kits simply for enjoying their aesthetic beauty and preserving them so that children and adults in several generations from now will be able to learn how it all came together and also enjoy their sight.
I do not think that too many here are collecting to accumulate monetary value or other interest based on greed or protection of assets. We simply like the old toys and the pleasure it brings us. It is however strange to read here, the words of the ones who disagree and consider collecting as a waste of time. What exactly are they doing wasting their time reading this forum to begin with?

I was a visitor of Champollion's house in Figeac, France, and the French have built a giant Rosetta Stone that forms the ground of the yard inside the court. One can walk over it and decipher the hieroglyphs, compare them to the Greek and Latin text, it is quite fascinating. We do the same about our favorite old slot cars in some ways, trying to retrace their history and that of the people who created them.
So what is wrong with us treating rare, MIB kits or factory-built RTR models produced 40 or 50 years ago, like Rosetta Stones of lesser importance, to the measure of our modest lives? Sounds to me that it beats NOT doing it.
Regards,

Philippe

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
I'm with Philippe on this, nowt wrong with preserving history. Equally there is nothing wrong with using them as they were intended - but better to then use something that is used and in good conditionn rather than mint sealed.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts