SlotForum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a track i've almost finished. It's my 1st semi-permanent track so go easy on me. A bit of a cowboy job, I am a noob. I haven't got time now to continue working on it, but it's functioning as it is. It's on 3 boards, in a limited space at home in London. I originally wanted it on 2 boards, but Homebase/B&Q/etc didn't have my dimensions

The track is stored vertically on 3 boards against the wall when I'm finished with it.
It takes me about 25-35 minutes to set up and 15-20 minutes to put back in its place against the wall. It's not a great circuit, I wish it had a bigger variety of curves and chicanes, but it will do for now. I have only tried it out with 2 people racing, and it's fun and fast (without magnets). I may have to use magnets when I have 6 people racing, it could get very messy with cars drifting and clipping the car drifting the opposing way, but I'm not worried as my cars have already lost mirrors and scratches. Hopefully it's not that bad and that no magnets will be required.

One lane is 22.34meters and the other is 21.85meters.

Tell me what you think/suggest.

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
I think you did a GREAT geometric design of a track but as you said the drivers brains will get confused with cars going
nearby in opposite directions. One of the most important components of designing a track is that the driver immediately recognizes where he is on the track and what comes next.

For example it will be difficult, I think, for some one that is in one of the straights inside the loops to know where the curve linked to that straight starts so it will be difficult to know how much speed you can go and when to brake.

Suggestion: you obviously have a geometric talent in track designing so design the track in a way that it is easy to understand. This will lead to less deslots which I think is the most boring component of racing, much more so than a boring or short track.

Also, always make a straight that is the longest possible (I love rally tracks so I like curves but one needs always long straights it is essential). The rest will come to you with the designs you try.

Good luck.

·
Registered
198 Posts
While I think it'd be fun for a while.. i really see this as more of a gimmick track. As your image with the cars shows, one might drift out into another car coming the opposite way. Reslotting would be painful without messing up the entire track with paint/colors/arrows. I also really don't understand the 3rd lane breakout on the solitary straight. Doesn't seem long enough or in the right spot to actually use.

Give it some time and I think you'll see its not practical for constant racing. I think even if you add a bridge (when done right) you'll get to use almost as much track in a much more practical and race-able track.

That said, the section in the middle is great. I think too many people go for "wiggle" sections rather than a proper chicane of sorts. Wiggles, to me, look out of place and often silly. You did that part right, keep that for the next layout!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Resolve all the confusion issues, make it a Special Stage, replace digital with Sport World and drive both lanes yourself (timed) in Rally Mode.
Twice the track length, twice the fun and no damage to your cars!

Ta dah, another Lone Racer!

Good work, I contemplated something similar as shown in the Scalextric Track Plan "book".

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (Matticus @ 21 Sep 2007, 14:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Our lass would kill me if I kept the track inside

Nice tight layout, I can see a drift comp coming on

What have you used for the grass?

i just bought some ready made grass on sheats from a model shop, looks great but a bit pricey

QUOTE (rallyP @ 21 Sep 2007, 15:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think you did a GREAT geometric design of a track but as you said the drivers brains will get confused with cars going
nearby in opposite directions. One of the most important components of designing a track is that the driver immediately recognizes where he is on the track and what comes next.

For example it will be difficult, I think, for some one that is in one of the straights inside the loops to know where the curve linked to that straight starts so it will be difficult to know how much speed you can go and when to brake.

Suggestion: you obviously have a geometric talent in track designing so design the track in a way that it is easy to understand. This will lead to less deslots which I think is the most boring component of racing, much more so than a boring or short track.

Also, always make a straight that is the longest possible (I love rally tracks so I like curves but one needs always long straights it is essential). The rest will come to you with the designs you try.

Good luck.

No talent there, I got the track design from a Scalextric catalogue. I've got another 2 lane design, much simpler, not compact at all, quite the opposite to the current track (which i still haven't tried with 6 players). The lanes are at least 3.5meters shorter than my current compact track, but it fits on boards, and there are just 2 pieces of track to attach when i want to play. So I might resort to that later if the racing is unsatisfactory with the compact track.

2 boards together of 290cm by 140cm which makes a surface area of 290cm by 280cm

I would love to see other people's designs....

Is there a page with loads of different designs using "track power" somewhere?

PS: I've seen and admired The Members' tracks on http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23643

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Hi Thing fish,

I think the track is much better now, but I still would suggest to reduce the number of curves and increase the number of large straights. Maybe you can use the diagonals. Anyway the best way to get a grip of what is the best layout is to try a few.

I never ran with 6 people but from my experience with 3 I think that the simplest layout would be the best. For running alone of course this is no longer true.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.