SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking that O2 may be the way to go eventually. I fancy a new controller so. If I get an O2 controller and an O" car Chip, in the compatability mode is all the data that would normaly be supplied for an standard SSD car available from the 6 Car APB. In compatability mode I need to run the Jackamants SSD software for fuel burn as well as lap counting. In addition as the cars are re-chipped I would want them to be able to run as gost cars from the PC software. I appreciate that this is at the start a bit pointless as apart from a better controller there is no gain (but no loss). That means I can run O2 as SSD untill I have enough cars, PC race software and O2 land changers to go fully O2. Plus I can run old SSD chipped cars should |I whish to.

·
Greg Gaub
15,372 Posts
This is my understanding of the current situation, and so could be wrong, and likely will be wrong over time.
First, just to be clear, to run O2 along with SSD cars, you'll need the "smart" daughter board that sits on top of the guide. It's a bridge rectifier for the AC that SSD uses so that the O2 car can even work. Second, you'll need to program the O2 car to an ID 1-6. It will work on the track with other IDs, but SSD hardware won't count laps for 7 and up.
For pretty much everything else you want, there will need to be O2 compatible software to manage it. SSDC is not O2 compatible yet, as far as I know.
Since O2 cars are controlled wirelessly, not via signals on the rails like SSD, there is no way for SSD type hardware or software to control them. As such, an O2 racer will not be prevented from jumping the start of the race, from continuing during a track call, or continuing after the race is over (at least until actual power to the rails is stopped). Nothing for SSD will be able to slow it down for fuel load, pit lane speeds, or anything else. SSDC would not be able to control O2 cars as ghosts, or anything else.
At least, not until SSDC becomes SSDOC/OSSDC. ;-)

If all you want is a better controller, well... get the SSD compatible controller (be sure to get the right one depending on powerbase), and have fun! When O2 comes out you'll then have two choices:
1) get the O2 cartridge and a car chip and control just one car
2) get the O2 cartridge and the wireless interface so that the SCP01 can be a wireless controller for any SSD car you assign to that ID. Essentially, the O2 cartridge and wireless adapter become a wireless bridge for the SSD compatible controller.

Clear as mud?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just let me get this one clear. An Slot.it SCP01 controller with an O2 cartidge will not talk to the computor but will drive an O2 car direct if the car has the O2 chip and brige rectifier (and ID 1 to 6). However adding the wireless cartridge to the computor (can't be the controller as that is now wire less) means that the computor can now run on a standard SSD chip (but not an O2 chip?). However now thereare now two signals to the computor the USB to the APB and the slot it wireless USB. How would SSDC cope with that?

Bit confusing but thats why I asked. I want to minimise costs while getting ready for O2. I do not want O2 untill its better than SSDC. That may be a while, but I can start the change over now if there is a crediable route through.

·
Greg Gaub
15,372 Posts
QUOTE (UshCha @ 24 Oct 2011, 11:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just let me get this one clear. An Slot.it SCP01 controller with an O2 cartidge will not talk to the computor but will drive an O2 car direct if the car has the O2 chip and brige rectifier (and ID 1 to 6).

That is correct. In the above, there is no computer control at all. SSDC will have no control over the car because there is nothing between the controller and the car itself. It's a direct wireless line of communication. It just happens that oXigen cars 1-6 will register with SSD hardware to count laps, and oXigen cars (any ID) will trigger lane changers.

QUOTE (UshCha @ 24 Oct 2011, 11:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>However adding the wireless cartridge to the computor (can't be the controller as that is now wire less) means that the computor can now run on a standard SSD chip (but not an O2 chip?).

The wireless adapter I referred to before is the Slot.it Cartridge Radio Interface (CRI). You plug the original controller cartridge, in this example the SSD cartridge, into the CRI. You leave this plugged into your power base, just like you did the plain SSD controller. Instead of a direct link between the controller and the cartridge, it is now a wireless link using the oXigen cartridge (now in your actual controller handle), and the SSD cartridge (now in the CRI).

In this situation, there is no need for the oXigen IN-CAR CHIP, because you are using it to control the SSD cartridge, not the car. The result is a wireless controller for SSD.

This also does NOT need or use a computer to function. This would work on a layout with a 4 car base and no computer, or a layout with a 6 car base and SSDC. As far as the base (or computer) know, this is still a wired controller. The CRI is serving as the "controller" for the cartridge, and you're controlling it from your SCP1 with oXigen cartridge.

This is the first thing I will be getting on my journey to oXigen.

QUOTE (UshCha @ 24 Oct 2011, 11:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>However now thereare now two signals to the computor the USB to the APB and the slot it wireless USB. How would SSDC cope with that?

Hopefully you understand now that there is no more computer involvement than any other SSD system when using the oXigen cartridge and the CRI to control SSD cars.

The tricky stuff is when you want to run an oXigen chipped car along with SSD cars, because in that case, there will be no computer control. The computer will count laps (ID 1-6) and stuff just fine, but will not be able to effect fuel loads and other stuff.

QUOTE (UshCha @ 24 Oct 2011, 11:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Bit confusing but thats why I asked. I want to minimise costs while getting ready for O2. I do not want O2 untill its better than SSDC. That may be a while, but I can start the change over now if there is a crediable route through.

It gets even more confusing if you really want oXigen cars to behave the same as SSD cars. In that case, there will need to be software to receive data from the oXigen cars and to control the oXigen cars from SSDC. This will require the oXigen USB wireless dongle (this is the hardware that will share oXigen car/race data to the PC), and a new version of SSDC, or some kind of extra software to mix the two systems together.

Until then, I suggest the following, which is pretty much what I'm planning/expecting to do:

1) pick up the slot.it SCP1d for whichever base you plan to use into the future. If you have a PB-Pro SH or older base, but plan to get the APB some time soon, then get the SPC01d 3v3, which is the model for the new base. If you think you'll be sticking with an old base for the foreseeable future, get the original version of the SCP01d. Learn how to use and enjoy the controller. It really is fantastic.

2) When released, get the oXigen cartridge and the CRI. Leaving the SSD cartridge plugged into your track, plug the CRI into it, and the oXigen cartridge into your SCP01, and enjoy the same performance you had been, but now wirelessly.

3) When you feel like it, pick up an oXigen chip (and bridge boards) or two for your favorite cars. Remember that while laps are counted and lane changers work, your car will not be affected by fuel loads or speed limits or other SSDC-controlled changes to cars. If it's taken long enough to get to this point that there are software updates that "merge" the two systems, then you go to 4...

4) get the Slot.it oXigen USB dongle and start playing with oXigen timing and mingling the two systems as per #3. Note that for oXigen cars to track oXigen laps, you'll need to install some magnets under your track as per instructions provided with the system. That's just how oXigen cars count laps and detect the pit lane and stuff.

5) eventually, you may decide to change over to oXigen completely, and so will have magnets in all the right places in your track, and friends who also have their own controllers and cars, and will use the layout for pure oXigen racing. At that point, you can run straight DC to the track, pull out silly things like power bases and pit-pros, and not even need the bridge boards in the cars to rectify the power. At this point you'll have a pure oXigen track.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On issue 5) full oxygen how will the fuel usage be checked if the controller only talks to the car? will the RMS see the data via the CRI? Or is Oxygen in pure form not able to do fuel etc? That would be a major blow for me if it did not cover fuel etc.

·
Greg Gaub
15,372 Posts
Pure oXigen would talk to the computer through the USB dongle I mentioned. In that case, there would be communication between the computer and the controller and car to perform changes like those required for fuel and speed limits and such. You could even do this along with SSD, but only if/when some developer decides it's worthwhile to try and integrate the two. I don't expect that to ever happen.

·
Vendor
2,976 Posts
Hi.
Just got back from Chicago (iHobby) and I need to read all this fully, but I think it is correct.
Yes, certainly O2 does throttle readouts. The controller sends throttle data to the PC Dongle
The CRI will certainly come, but first, we are concentrating on the O2 aspects of the system.

We should have the first small production batch of in-car chips in 3 weeks, after which, if everything goes well, we will scale up operations...

A demo system of four cars, controllers, and dongle has been given to Alan Smith in Tacoma. After he sets it up (I did not have LC drivers in Chicago, we need to send them from here), everyone in the area can try it hands on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts