SlotForum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Well to cheat a cheater we did cheat a few years ago in a class for stock unsealed 16D motors in flexi's. We had a couple guys we figured were retiming their motors illegally and were also timing the brushes to gain an advantage, winning week after week by fair amounts of laps. It was no big deal as not much was at stake. As our racing program was fairly lax in tech checking, with no tear down called for, we raced mainly for fun.

So I took two 16d motors and I made up a couple sets of Deldrin plastic magnet look alikes. I then hollowed out the centers of them and inserted a set of small cobalt motor magnets in the center and coated them over with a thin coat of black epoxy. They looked identical to stock 16d magents if anyone wanted a tear down. Everthing else was stock. But our gearing could be much higher in ratio, then we had a good deal more top speed out of these plus brakes.

Two of us cleaned house for three weeks and after the fourth week they got mad and demanded a tear down of our motors, we did, and they found nothing wrong. Then we brought in a mag gauss meter we bought, to show them the increased gauss readings even from the outside of the cans and confessed to what I had did, just to beat them at their cheating.

Which we found, when we tore their motors down also, as part of their demand on us. The re-timing was obvious and they both left and did not come back for 6 weeks with now stock motors. Not another word was ever said about it. Racing was fun again for all.

·
Registered
398 Posts
My problem is that I was too darn honest to cheat !
Yeah sure!

Well I didn't consider it cheating as much as taking advantage of the rules gaping holes in almost every case. The big problem I had, was I kept telling all those I raced with, what I was doing to go faster after I found it worked.

I also figured out early on if you keep kicking the oppositions butt week after week you soon have no one to race against. So I and my friends all started to help the others to be better builders and showed them how to win. Then we had some worth while competition. and life racing was fun again.

The problem now is trying to remember all the ways I found around the rules. Too many times and too few memories. Dang it! It is a bitch to get old. (A clue to you younger guys), write it all down now and save it for later in life.

I will think of a few more soon, after the fun week in Vegas gets over and I have time to ruminate through my dysfunctional brain cells. A fun four days is coming up.
Larry S.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Most of the time I was a local area racer as I had no money to travel to LA to get in the big races down there. When I was there, it was just to visit, either on the way to or going home from visiting family down in Riverside Ca.. So we mainly ran non group or class racing in the local area tracks. We mostly ran "run what you brung" races up till the advent of the group racing here in the late 70's So any advantage you could come up with was basically legal. So no cheating was involved only how could you beat the next guy and what he was doing.

I hated the spread of the group class type racing as it stifled development or scratch building and as found today hardly any one does it anymore because it is not allowed or most don't know how to do it, or even use the tools to do it.

So what I had to do was take the cars allowed as they came and make them the best that they could be. All the tolerances had to be made right. axle heights had to be made with in a few thousands of an inch of being equal. Axles had to spin absolutely freely in the bearings, the bearing surfaces had to be polished and aligned so that the axle, gear and wheels had to be free spinning for many seconds before being run. The motors had to be made the same way before the magnets were added then if balanced, they had to be right. Armatures not balanced had to be found that were as close to balance as could be found. so went you thru a bunch to find one better than another, etc. etc..

This all took time to make a car as good as it could be within the rules. Most racers didn't have the time or wanted to take the time to get their cars to this point. They would get to the track and fix it from when it broke last week or remember they had to do something to make it run better than it did last week qnd they had 10 minutes before the race started. Easy to beat racers like that when you are prepared to race when you get there.

We started another racing class here that is now fun for me. We race flexis with vintage bodies. But you can do about anything to the chassis as long as the main pieces are still there. You can drill, cut, remove pieces etc to remove weight No ball bearings and you have to keep a stock Falcon motor to keep costs down. We will soon demand that you run 3/4 inch front wheels and 7/8 inch rears to keep the vintage look getting better. No cut down or chopped bodies. And we race a with a break out time set to get the best available times from the Falcons but not encourage tweaked motors or buying a bunch to find the best. As going faster lose's you laps. Here is a shot of my great handling reverse motor mount Flexi IV weighing 95 grams with sheet lead added up front. Reverse motor mount, as I found the last batch of JKII Falcon motors run better in the reverse direction, they supposedly made a mistake timing them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts