SlotForum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Thought I'd start a thread for those wanting to start a Carrera layout, but perhaps like me, you have restricted space, and funds, so want to start with the pieces from a set, and expand on that. I have a bunch of layouts I designed, that fit within 3.3m x 1.2m because that was the space I had to work with. I have only built a couple of layouts from Carrera, and I am very happy with the one I settled on and built, but had lots of ideas and thought I'd share them. I'll start with this layout:

Minimal purchase of extra curves required. One pack of (x6) R2's and (x2) R1's and the rest are all standard R1/60 curves and standard straights, which many people will have if they have already got some Carrera stuff. You will need to build an overpass/elevation structure, and I've tried to keep the sight line obstructions minimal for this layout, and the back straight still in reach for most adults for deslots, without a grabber:

6r2s2r130s.png

Here is another version of the same kind of thing, but if you can get hold of (x3) R3's (kind of hard to find unless you place a lead time order from a lot of the suppliers I have tried, and then you need to buy a 6 pack in most cases) This one is designed to flow a bit better and might be something you would upgrade to from the last example as funds allow for further track purchases, it uses one R1/30 piece (a lot of retailers sell these individually), two six packs of R2's and three individual R3/30 pieces (hard to find for sale as separate pieces unfortunately):

Better_FLow_R2and_R3.png

Finally, for the first post, here is my current layout, it works great for me, very happy with it. A slightly messy work in progress and I am going to construct painted mdf borders for it. I'm in Australia, and as yet I'm not sure what paint is available in our market that will work well for it. It uses standard R1/60 curves and straights, two R1/30's and a dozen R2'30s. It flows really well except for one difficult section (which it needs to keep it challenging) which is under the R2 overpass curve. The cars with headlights look really cool coming out from under the overpass onto the front straight. (not really visible in this picture unfortunately)

Steves_Track.png

And here is the layout plan for it... Yes it misses the mark by 47mm, but the track can be coaxed to meet up quite nicely. It will be perfect with the addition of another two R2's at some point in time. The curves at the far end is both difficult and super fun to get it just right with a magnet less car. The whole track is quite visible from the driving positions. Refer also to the photograph, as the diagram below is a bit misleading.

Current_layout.png

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very nice. I like challenging tracks for small layouts since you cant really get long straights in. Also with levels, you can get more track in but much harder for scenery.
thumbsup.gif
Whoops, I forgot to mention your layout Primed! Mine has nothing on it! Great looking layout, check it out here maximising the space that's for sure

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Here is another variation of the first layout. I have done at least 50 variations of the one thing! I have also got a version with just standard R1s, without the R2's if anyone wants to see it. This layout lends itself to so many options. I have deliberately avoided posting layouts with lots of 1/3 or 1/4 straights since these are quite expensive for what they really are. Its often just as easy to substitute a different radius curve to achieve the same result. This one uses standard R1/60's and standard straights, plus 8 R2's, and two R1/30s. If you don't mind losing a little bit of visibility you can have an infield with a generous pitlane and paddock area for your cars as pictured. Otherwise, shorten the front straight by one length. Visibility in practice should be ok for this layout when looking from the front, should get a good view under the overpass.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
It is difficult to do an 8x4 layout for Carrera 1/24 scale track, but it can be done in Analog. I have seen better ones but this one is probably good for a basic layout... I wonder if a banked curve would work or not... The changeovers might get annoying for some, though removing them is going to make the lane distance unequal. Might work better if the straights were increase by one each, but then its a few inches over 8x4.

8x4ft_8_9m_Length.png

An alternate of the same thing:

6_r2s.png

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I came up with another one because I got bored of the one I posted up above (the actual track photo above) I would like to try it but I can't afford the extra pieces. It looks pretty good though so here it is:

Twisty.png

There is no room for a pitlane in the reverse direction however. I am working on another variation that does have room for a RH pitlane in either direction (very similar layout to this one), and will post the actual photo once its up and running.

Steve.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Saw some interesting comments on another forum about 3 laned Carrera layouts, sacrificing the outer 4th lane to create a built in border (saves a little space and get borders built in) So I decided to see if I could design a layout to suit my existing space and without investing so much in extra track pieces. I came up with this. Its mostly standard straights and R1 curves (which most people have heaps of) with (x16) R2 track pieces. (x4) R1/30 and (x2) 1/3 straights. I haven't shown the power strip or any digital bits which could be added. There are three border pieces added but they could easily be made from some bits of ABS plastic (e.g. the bottom panel from a DELL keyboard, cut down to fit. I found a few in a bin!) or foamboard, MDF etc. Its a compact layout.

3Lanerr.png

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Here is an 8'x4'. Equal lane length. Enough space for a small pitlane and a couple of LC's if running digital. Probably best suited to magnet racing but might be ok without if you have enough grip. Borders will make it greater than 8x4.

8x4-again.png
[/url]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey guys! Is there a key for the Carrera track pieces? I.e-part numbers? I'm leaning toward Carrera track but starting from scratch and need to order all the track individually once I choose a plan. Thanks in advance. Also, I'm going alalogue.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Nice layouts. Like you I have minimal space but was fortunate enough to have the space for a single full sheet of MDF - 10'x4' - here's what I made. I can put it on its side when I need to put a car in the garage. It's a perfect size!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Looks like a really nice layout, especially considering the space used. Is the straight 6 straights long? And is the bank R2? Did you get more traction after painting? I did start another thread with some better track ideas (at least I think they are better) but haven't found it yet since the migration to the new forum platform. Hope it's all still there, went looking for it today because I want to build one of them! Edit: Just found it here it is :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts