Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The DTM Audi A4 seems to bring a lot of interest to several makers and could bring some controversy as well.

We all know that Scalextric announced it and scrapped it from their planning a few days later (they choosed the DTM Vectra instead).

Several shops have also already announced that SCX will be releasing the DTM Audi A4.

Now, seeing the pictures from the Nürnberg fair, I noticed on one picture from the Carrera report that Carrera claim the worlwide exclusive rights for the Audi. Sounds like SCX won't able to do it then ...

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
yes this is very confusing but judging by the pictures of the real thing they (or one or the other or both
) should be great.
Just a thought will this start a range of carrera touring cars?

·
Premium Member
5,393 Posts
I hate it when this sort of thing happens. I'm box standard mate, which means I can't run a Carrera DTM against a SCX DTM and have a hope of it being a fair contest.

I hope that SCX (the kings of 1:32 WRC) can do the Fabia and the Vectra and the A4.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Matt,

As far as I know, the Fabia is not on SCX's agenda. I think Hornby's got the exclusive rights since SCX is really keen to produce all existing WRC ...

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I for one would prefer an SCX version of the Fabia.

I personally feel that the Scalextric version, no doubt will be very nice & greatly detailled but another magnet missile; I wonder how it will drive without?

It's a shame if SCX can't produce a Fabia as last weekend had the pleasure to drive an SCX Octavia - the version with Xenon lights. Just got to say it's a great car! especially without the magnet, it makes up the lack of detail in performance - for such a big car it drives great!

Glad to see SCX producing the 04 Mitsubishi, looks different enough from the previous models to warrant a second look.

Ok, last SCX comment - anyone know if SCX have plans for producing a Xsara fitted with Xenon lights?

Jamie

·
Slot City
331 Posts
The 61510 Citroen Xsara WRC Sweden being released this year is shown in the catalogue as having Xenon lights. This car is also going to be available in snow livery (only in the 1000 Lakes set). It is also one of the new digital cars being released.

There is no Audi A4 scheduled from SCX this year, in the UK at least. Though as pointed out above the Carrera 2004 catalogue states that they have a world wide exclusive.

There is also no Skoda Fabia announced at the moment. All the cars (being released in the UK at least) are as listed in the catalogue, there hasn't been any changes that we've been informed of.

Jon,
Slot City.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
QUOTE (Jamie @ 12 Feb 2004, 01:03 AM)Ok, last SCX comment - anyone know if SCX have plans for producing a Xsara fitted with Xenon lights?

Jamie
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you could always get an aftermarket set of lights from Overdrive. Or, are they too pricey/fiddly, I have no idea?

However, it is sometimes good to buy a car which has desirable features as standard rather than having to mess around opening it up. Then again, that's one of the first things I do to a new slot acquisition - part of the hobby!

There I've gone and contradicted myself good and proper

Mark.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Those Overdrive light kits are terrific, although a little on the pricey/fiddly side. Quite manageable though. if you can change a pair of braids....There was an article in the NSCC journal which covered it- gives you an idea of what you need to do. I'll try and find it if anyone's interested.

·
Jim Moyes
4,997 Posts
QUOTE (fast lucky @ 11 Feb 2004, 05:29 PM)Several shops have also already announced that SCX will be releasing the DTM Audi A4.
There was no sign of an Audi A4 DTM car on the SCX stand at Toyfair. Just the Vectra.

Perhaps confusion is setting in due to the plethora of new product being announced!

Mr.M

·
Registered
12 Posts
Carrera indeed claims to have the exclusive licence for the A4. Interestingly enough they have not announced any other new DTM cars to go with the A4

SCX will do the Vectra and all new WRC cars EXCEPT the Fabia. I have not heard of an exclusive licence for Scalextric but who knows. In my opinion it would make no sense to get the exclusive rights for a car that will join the WRC in Summer and it's pretty unlikely that it will be a real contestant for victories in this season.

Another strange thing: No manufacturer has yet announced a Mercedes DTM car! Is the licensing cost too high?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Carrera has the exclusive rights for the DTM Audi A4 - and they try to negotiate the same for the new DTM Mercedes C190. They won't look for the Vectra as this is a "me-too"-product - Opel gives licenses to anyone and Carrera won't invest in an other car which is produced also by their main competitors. (..strange - I thought there has been a Subaru available - or have there been 4?
)
FYI - the DTM and Rally-cars from Carrera will be available with lights - LED's, similar to their 1/24-range - but no constant lights! The Rally-cars will be 2WD only - this has been the latest information I got....

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The fact that Carrera won't look at "Me Too" cars is a sign of weakness to me ! It means they fear direct comparison.

I really don't like exclusive licenses. It means you're sometimes bound to a brand to get a particular where a competitor could have done a much better job.

On the other hand, it's no fun having 5 or 6 times a WRC Subaru, but at least you can make your choice.

My point of view : instead of spending money to buy an exclusive license, learn to make better cars !

·
Registered
422 Posts
I QUOTE instead of spending money to buy an exclusive license, learn to make better cars !

If Carrera reads this I hope they take it to heart -- their cars are very close to the bottom of the desirability scale.

Dan

·
Registered
773 Posts
Have you ever thought about the fact that every tool is an investment - we made some rough calculations and ended in app. 150k€ for all the tools you need for one car. If the market for a specific car is shared between lot's of competitors you're not reaching the ROI within a short period and you can't releas new cars then! Ask the guys of Ninco about this - they are selling more Champ-cars than Minardis! But much less than before with the Ferrari F1! If you've not the most attractive cars in your range you're falling back!
That Carrera has not reached the possible performance of their cars is based on a couple of different facts:
bodies are to heavy - will be changed in the future but they will stay with thicker, more ridgid bodies to prevent the crack's you have with Fly's for example if they drop on the floor

axle diameter does not fit to the 3/32-bushes - will be changed in the future
- hope they make this soon...
direction-switch is a permament source of failures - they won't change that

Guide-setup is absolutely not perfect - no signs of a change...

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
ddyke and fast lucky have got it way wrong about Carrera cars. For the market that they are targeting they are highly desirable and solid performers.

They are not club racer cars but then that is not their market. Carrera know like many manufacturers where their bread is buttered. However, if club racers have a "Carrera only" catagory then of course they come into their own.

At the same time they do produce limited editions for the collector market and pay big money to obtain decent licences.

They are ahead of Ninco and SCX in my estimation and pose the biggest threat to those who do not want slot car world domination by one manufacturer.

The German Auric Goldfinger had similar ambitions of world domination didn't he?

My guess is that Auric Goldfinger is alive and well and heading the Carrera empire.

He has even named a set after himself!

Moped

1 - 20 of 38 Posts