SlotForum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Alan Tadd
4,050 Posts
Chaps...the Healey version of the story is slightly different and points the blame for the accident elsewhere :-

"As the race entered its third hour the cars were breaking records at every lap when Jaguar Driver Mike Hawthorn received a signal from his pit crew to stop for gas. As he braked, an Austin-Healey swerved to avoid him. A few lengths behind, Levegh raised his hand, signaling another Mercedes to slow up. At 150 mph he had no chance to do so himself.

Hitting the Healey, the Mercedes took off like a rocket, struck the embankment beside the track, hurtled end over end and then disintegrated over the crowd. Hawthorn, though unnerved, went on to win and set a new record. But few spectators had the enthusiasm to cheer."

Regards

Alan

·
Alan Tadd
4,050 Posts
Allan

You are right, I deliberatly edited some of the text in my post as it went into some detail regarding the deaths of spectators, and I didn't feel it was appropriate to reproduce that here.

Regards

Alan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.