SlotForum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
OK...before I start, I should point out that I've recently returned to the hobby after a very long absence (since I was a kid, 25+ years ago!) so apologies if these questions seem a little dumb

I'm just trying to get my head around the whole braking thing and need some clarification.

I have the Scalextric 6-car APB (C7042) and currently running a digital-only layout, although I do intend to use the analog mode of the APB to run some of my non-digital cars, once I've modified my CLC track pieces. I have two C7024 power supplies connected to the APB so am already 2-lane analog ready.

If someone could clarify the following, and if I've got anything wrong, it would be very useful!

Scenario 1:

Analog cars + analog power + analog throttles (i.e. regular Scalextric analog setup) = brakes controlled by releasing throttle. Correct?

Scanario 2:

Digital cars + analog power + analog throttles (i.e. regular Scalextric analog setup but running Scalextric digital cars) = braking controlled ny releasing throttle or no brakes at all? Seriously confused!

Scenario 3:

Digital cars + digital power (C7042 APB) + digital throttles = braking controlled via brake button on throttle or by releasing throttle or combination of previous two options or brackes switched off off. Correct?

Scenario 4:

Analog cars + digital power (C7042 APB) + digital throttles * but running in analog mode via APB* = same as above???

Scenario 5:

Digital cars + digital power (C7042 APB) + digital throttles * but running in analog mode via APB * = ????? Really not sure at all what happenes here!!!

I haven't had my digital layout for very long, but I much prefer to use the brake buttons on the throttles for 'yellow flag' track calls as opposed to using them for braking.

I currently have the APB set to throttle release braking for all cars.

Would greatly appreciate clarification on the above scenarios!

·
Greg Gaub
15,345 Posts
Scenario 1: Correct.
Scenario 2: No brakes at all. Because the car is chipped with an SSD chip, it is not receiving a "hit the brakes!" signal, and simply coasts when power is removed.
Scenario 3: Correct. The chip is receiving the signal to brake as indicated by the settings in the base.
Scenario 4: Correct. The base is responsible for the braking action that an "old school" analog controller would normally perform.
Scenario 5: No brakes, just like a digital car on any other analog track. The car still never gets the special "brakes!" command because there is no digital control signal.

So, when running digital cars, use digital mode. If you want to run a digital car along side an analog one, pull the chip if it's DPR. When running analog cars, use analog mode. In both of those cases, you can have the brakes work how you want, which is the same as I like: brakes when you release the throttle, and yellow flag when you press the large button.

I hope that helped, and welcome to SlotForum, and back to slots!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot Greg, that clears everything up nicely

I've seen some of your very useful posts over on the SCI forum, which I also joined recently.

Good to see you that you hang out here too

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.