SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I intend to build the four Connaught Type Bs participating in the British Grand Prix at Aintree July 16th 1955.

Connaught Engineering:
#32 Kenneth McAlpine. Type B STR. Ret.
#34 Jack Fairman. Type B. DNS
#36 Tony Rolt/Peter Walker. Type B. Ret.

Leslie Marr:
#38 Leslie Marr. Type B STR. Ret.

For #32 + 38 Streamliner I will use Betta & Classic fibreglass bodies and for #34 + 36 Penelope Pitlane RB19 resin bodies.

Now to the questions. My rescent research have showed me this:

#32 BRG with grey underpan. Silver wheels. Black race numbers on white circle front and back.

#34 Plain BRG. Silver wheels. Black race number on white circle front. Back? Coloured triangle on front?

#36 Plain BRG. Silver wheels. Black race number on white circle front. Back? Coloured triangle on front?

#38 BRG with grey underpan. Red wheels. Black race numbers on white circle front and back.

Who can help with more details?

/Holger

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Come on, guys!

92 viewers - and nobody knows nothing......

You can do better than that!

/Holger

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
300SLR - thanks a lot. Upper left photo was new to me.

My largest problem for the moment is the coloured triangles on the front nose of the conventional cars. Did #34 + 36 have these triangles at all, and if yes what colour on what car?

/Holger

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
300SLR - very, very good use. It clearly shows that the rear race numbers on the conventional cars were black on white circles as well. One major problem solved. Thanks a lot (-:

But a new problem has arisen!

Definately no coloured triangle on the nose but a coloured band round the front grill instead. But what colour????? Looks white or yellow? And what about #34.

The Connaught Type-B of Tony Brooks was sporting a coloured triangle on the nose and plain white race numbers on the rear during the Syracuse Grand Prix of the same year. That is why I was asking this particular question.

To sum it up: All my questions are now down to the colour of the band round the nose of #36 (and #34 if it had such a band as well?)?

/Holger

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well - everything ist not that well after all. I must have focused to much on that race number #36 (and maybe had to many pints), since the photo clearly shows a Connaught Type-A from the years 1952-54, so despite race number #36 it can not be from Aintree 1955.

Back to the pro and contra triangle business again...... And the race numbers on the rear? Black on white circle or plain white?

/Holger

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Hi Holger
Sorry about that, I think you are right, that number 36 I posted does look much more like an A type.
Guess I shouldn't have trusted the caption on the original web site

This web site http://www.finecars.cc/en/detail/car/109089/index.html is offering for sale what it says is the original car Rolt drove at Aintree in 1955. It is in the normal Rob Walker paint scheme - dark blue with a white band round the nose. Now as car 36 was owned and entered at Aintree in 1955 by Rob Walker, its likely to have been in the normal Rob Walker paint scheme back then.

What is needed to be sure is a photo of the car from original race, sorry I haven't found one. The car in the photo looks like it must have been resprayed quite recently and there is the modern roll looking over bar which most likely was added in the last few years to meet modern safety requirement .

Does that help any?

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Hi Holger
I got it from "Grand Prix Who's Who" by Steve Small give the entrants as

McAlpine. No 32 entrant Connaught Engineering
Fairman No 34 entrant Connaught Engineering
Rolt No 36 entrant RRC Walker Racing Team
Marr No 38 entrant Leslie Marr

Just found something that may help
Have a look at the film of the 1955 British GP uploaded on You Tube
About 4:30 into the film there's a good close up shot of the back of No 36 (unfortunately I couldn't spot a shot of the nose)
It's a not very good colour film, so the dark blues and dark greens look a bit similar
It looks to me like the car is dark blue. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well - this is indeed difficult... blue or green? Hmm..

But it clearly shows black race number on white circle for #36. One problem solved.

I must have to watch the video a dozen times or more to judge - maybe.....

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
300SLR - after yet another tour on www.google.com I have to agree that #36 was probarbly a private entry of Rob Walker in coorperation with Connaught Engineering.

So I vote for blue for #36. It seems to be settled.

So now I am down to #34: Coloured triangle on the front nose? Race numbers on the rear - black on white circle or plain white?

Is there a light at the end of the circle?

/Holger

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Running trough my files I just realized I never shared the end product with you. So here are my Connaughts from the British GP at Aintree in 1955:

Connaught Engineering
#32 Connaught Type B STR - Kenneth McAlpine , R
#34 Connaught Type B STR - Jack Fairman, DNS
Betta & Classic

Rob Walker Racing Team
#36 Connaught Type B - Tony Rolt, R
Penelope Pitlane RB19

Leslie Marr
#38 Connaught Type B STR - Leslie Marr, R
Betta & Classic

As always - without huge help from friends like Milan, Rod etc. I would not have made it.

/Holger

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As you can read above Connaught Type B #34 turned out to be a streamliner as well. This means I suddenly had an open wheeler kit in surplus.

Unfortunately no more Connaughts were raced during my favourite GP season being 1955, so what to do?

After som thinking I decided for this from the British GP 1956:

Connaught Engineering
#21 Connaught Type B - Jack Fairman
Result: 4th
Penelope Pitlane RB19

Work has now begun

/Holger

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Holger probably has one or more of these already, but for anyone else interested in 1950s racing cars I recommend three books:
1950s Motorsport in Colour, Martyn Wainwright, Veloce, 2004.
Formula 1 in Camera, Paul Parker, Haynes, 2011.
Sports Car Racing in Camera 1950-59, Paul Parker, Haynes, 2010.
All three are very readable and informative as well as having great photos.
Your search engine, Google or other, will tell you where they're available. I got my Wainwright book from Andrews Nice Books in England (via Amazon) and the Sports Car... from The Book Depository.
Wainwright has wonderful photos (his own) of various Connaughts, indicating that the bodywork on Rob Walker's car was shorter than others, at least by 1956. The #38 Marr streamliner photo (posted above) appears to come from Wainwright's book.
Holger seems to have Tony Rolt's conventional #36 Connaught in the correct colours. A photo in the Parker F1 book is b/w but the band on the nose is clearly white and the caption describes the car as dark blue.
Rob J

·
Gerald Lambourn
1,006 Posts
You could do the spare car in red, Scotti, 1956 Silverstone International Trophy, or a darker green than the apple green you used for the amazing Archie Scott-Brown in the same event. I think the cars should carry the gold griffon too. One of my favorite GP cars, and now I have the 1/24th Merit kit thanks to Derek Cooper. GeraldL

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rob J - you are correct, I have these books on my shelf. I got them from www.amazon.co.uk, as it is not possible to find them here in Denmark. Glad you agree on the outcome of the #36 Walker Connaught.

GeraldL - you have some good choices there, but I only collect - and build - cars driven in Grand Prix´s counting for the World Championship. So cars like the ones from the Silverstone International Trophy does unfortunately not fit into my collection. That is why I choose a 1956 car. And I do not fully agree with you concerning the gold gryphon/griffon. I have yet to find a photo proving these were sported during the Aintree Grand Prix 1955. Neither on the streamliners nor on the Walker car. But surely they will be on the mentioned Jack Fairman car from 1956. Both photos and old film material clearly proves that.

/Holger

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Voila!

The gryphons / griffons were made by Milan at www.mtr32.com.

Are you searching for the Connaught logo? Well, so am I. But I can find no photo evindece where to place it?

Cheers, Holger

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
You might get more responses if you posted this in the 'scratchbuild' forum where all the vintage and classic boffins hang out to make kits 'n' stuff like this

·
Registered
339 Posts
Holger--

Great cars!! For future research (although not all 100% accurate..), try the "Grand Prix Models" website in UK. Most of these cars have been built and researched by 1/43 scale white metal and resin producers --and usually there will be photos of completed models and sometimes 1:1 cars---

Steve

1 - 20 of 21 Posts