SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've got the trial versions of SSDC and RCS64 but cannot get the C7042 6 car power base to connect!

Using RCS64, if I plug in the power supply to the powerbase and quickly click 'search for connected devices', RCS64 will momentarily connect to the APB and then loose connection a couple of seconds later.

Do I need to update drivers or change some COM pot settings or something?

I am using Windows 10.

Appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Joe Morgans

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,123 Posts
Is it one of my cables?

If so

You dont need drivers for windows 10

RCS64 should find it anyway with its auto detect software.

·
Greg Gaub
14,790 Posts
Make sure you run it in Admin mode, and set your latency to 1, if possible.

I usually have my APB powered up before I run RCS64 because it automatically searches for devices when it comes up, and detects all my devices automatically.

·
Prof I T
11,098 Posts
Have you hot wired the cable
question.gif
plugging the rj11 into the pb while its powered is a big no no..

·
Administrator
10,123 Posts
Don't hot plug the cable else you will toast it

Scalextric C7042 PC Cable INSTALLATION GUIDE

Important as you can damage the cable if you do not follow these instructions.

1. Start your PC. Do not plug in cable to PC yet.
  2. Ensure there is no power to C7042, so it is disconnected from the power supplied or switched off at the wall.
  3. Disconnect your C7042 display unit from the powerbase (if attached), and now plug in the clear connector end of your new PC cable to the C7042 powerbase socket. This connection is not designed for "hot-plugging" so your C7042 MUST be off, and the USB connector MUST NOT be connected
  4. Connect USB end of cable to PC. PC will recognise the cable as an FTDI serial converter and add a Com port to suit. (note: no driver disc is needed for Windows XP/Vista/Windows7). This may take a few seconds whilst it configures everything.
  5. Switch on power to your C7042.
  6. You can now run RMS programs to control the C7042 or reprogram firmware.

You can now unplug USB cable end or turn off C7042 power as you wish. But do not unplug the clear connector unless BOTH USB is unplugged and the C7042 power is off.

Now start your RMS or reprogramming program. If you can't find the new Com port in Windows "Device Manager" (be sure the cable is connected when you try) then it may be you do need a driver - unlikely but if you do find you need a driver then go on-line to www.ftdichip.com and select the VCP version for your operating system. There is an executable file available that will load the drivers if you are not aware how to do it and you suspect that your PC is not seeing the cable: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM20824_Setup.exe

All cables performance tested with windows 10 before shipping.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No I haven't hot plugged the cable, I have a sticker wrapped around the plug saying DO NOT UNPLUG from years ago.

It's suddenly started working with SSDC but still the same problem with RCS64.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I thought Woodcote had this issue at one time and ended up being the end of the cable. Something with loose wire connection in the plug from being plugged unplugged many times.

The others I remember were software updating at the same time RMS was running.

Unshielded sensors wires crossing over rms cable...

Shad

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not sure it's the cable causing the problem. It works with SSDC and have just tried PC lap counter and it works with this also.

It's just RCS 64 connects momentarily and says 'connection to power base lost' after a couple of seconds.

·
Prof I T
11,098 Posts
As previously mentioned, are you running rcs in Admin mode
question.gif

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes I have set it to 1ms in Admin mode but still the same problem. I'll try it on another computer to see whether it is the cable causing the problem or the computer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi again, update a week on. I've got hold of another computer which I have tried it on (running Windows Vista 32 bit) but still the same problem.

RCS64 recognised and connects to the APB, and then connection is lost 2 seconds later, same as before.

The APB connects to SSDC ok, but I would like to use RCS64.

I suppose the next thing to try is a new cable?

Or could it be settings on the APB?

Thanks,

Joe

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
If it was an issue with the cable e.g. fried FTDI chip, then neither SSDC or RCS64 would work, if SSDC works then I don't see how it can be the cable as it's doing it job and converting serial data to USB for PC consumption, are the latest FTDI drivers installed on that machine, maybe RCS64 is more fussy than SSDC re drivers? Unlikely though....

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I just tried mine. The only time RCS64 would not connect is if I had SSDC already running.

I dont think the Com would make a difference but mine is as follows,

RCS64 Com 5

Arduino Port Com 6

Scorpius Controller Com 4

Latency 1

I had issues with my old Windows 7 Laptop where it would drop the powerbase during races and freeze up.

I found it had something to do with the Windows Update. I would turn off all updates, internet connections, and security features.

I had no issues after that. I just replaced that computer a few months ago and no issues with the new Win 10.

Shad

1 - 20 of 25 Posts