SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been pretty busy since I bought all my track like 8 months ago. Here are a couple of pretty bad quality pics of the track on the ground. Approx 125' of track

Well I finally got around to building 2 of my tables this weekend and I have one more to go
Here is my workbench lol

My great helper

I used 2 2x4's for the legs

Very simple construction as I dont have many tools. Here is the frame

The finished result

and here is where the third table will go

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I havnt drawn up the track design yet so I have no idea of what she will look like. Basically the tables are each 8x4 in an L shape so I will have up to 20ft for my main straight away which I think will be elevated then have a second straight away going in back under it. Not sure of how to achieve that yet. Analogue to begin with and moving to digital later in the year.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
definitely a test n tune needed. I need to get some track planning software so I can start my design. With going to Sebring for 5 days progress might be a little slow over the next 2 weeks but I definitely want to get the tables constructed and painted and get the track out and clean it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pretty sure I wont. That entire room was pretty much full when I had it on the ground. If it did fit I think it would be too technical of a track to enjoy. Probably 25 sec + lap times.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I Envy the room you have

One thing, you may find things a Bit Noisy with just a Plywood top and a Hardwood ( or laminate) Floor below it once you start racing cars.......You might want to toss a simple oval up there and run a few cars to see if its pretty noisy...If So, perhaps an Inch of Extruded insulation below the plywood would help.......You could scew it on from underneath using big plastic washers and a Bit of foam panel adhesive.......Scraps of insulation can be used during your scenery phase

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the tip. I will run up a small track and see how she sounds. I got the third table knocked out last night so I just need to get them painted then the fun begins.

Im going to do a search here to see if there are any guides on how to do banking but if anyone knows a good link please share. My back straight away will have elevation changes and be mainly downhill so I want to bank the turn coming off of it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
still working on a layout. will post them soon. In the mean time here is a tire barrier painting rig I threw together.
first run was only 5 tires, now that im happy with it I will load em up with 3 times the quantity

news paper backing to catch the over spray

keeping in style of Road Atlanta im going with green and white barriers

once I do a bunch I will post up what they look like, hopefully like these off to the right

·
Bill Beggs
1,947 Posts
You are spraying in the room? I tried that. You would not believe how far paint travels in the air. I made the mistake once near my track. It was a very dark red. Could not see it on the track but the tires sure picked it up. Also I find spouses do not like everything with a paint film.

BY the way nice air bright room to play in. Should be nice.

Look up Ultimate Racer for a nice track designer program. It is FREE.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah that was just a quick test run. It was windy outside when I wanted to do it.

I have used Ultimate Racer before just didnt know if it worked with Vista now that I upgraded. I will have to try and install it and see how I go.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well I just through this one together.

Not quite what I wanted. Im trying to work out a suitable median between table space for scenery and optimizing track pieces.
This one optimizes track pieces at about 101Ft per lane but leaves me little room for scenery.

Comments welcome

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
driver view blocking may be an issue, I had to go with the L shape due to the size of the room. Marshalling the back right corner should be ok, once I work out how it will be substantially elevated as I want the back straight to have a couple of dips plus be down hill most of the way.

·
Bill Beggs
1,947 Posts
I hate to be a fly in the ointment but I see you have not left any room for runoffs on the turns. You need enuf so that your longest car when at right angle to the track and still in the slot does not touch the outside edge of the border.

Just my preference but I would simplify the section on the righthand side but then I am partial to faster tracks. Try to do a design with few 90 degree turns.

A four foot wide table is tough to get a lot of track on. I would lay out some track and give it a go before making it permanent. My first one did not last long before it got tore up for a new one.

·
Registered
326 Posts
QUOTE (Monaro_GTO @ 8 Mar 2008, 01:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>driver view blocking may be an issue,

I agree. Due to the location I built an "L" as well and drove me crazy. Ended up making it a "U" shape and moving the driver stations back.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
after playing around a little bit I think this is what im happy with. I havnt put down any borders just yet or elevation changes but you get the idea. Let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
With that amount of room you have, I would have made the table half as wide again (this would give you better scope for the track) and left off the foot of the "L".
Pull the table away from the wall enough to get a driver in there to help self-marshalling.
One driver either side of the table.
The table would come out about the width you have including the "L" now.

Is that confusing enough?????

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.