Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have read all I can find on controllers on the forum and ohms and volts and …. other things I don't understand, but all I really want to know is:

I want to upgrade my standard Scaley controllers, what would you recommend and why? And can you recommend a mail order supplier (I am in Ireland)

I don't want to spend too much, I am only into Scaley about a month and have spent a small fortune already. In fact a large fortune.

Setup: I have a 23m Scalextric sport track, twin Scaley wall warts and about 20 Scaley cars, I do not have any unmagnetised cars or other makes except a couple of Fly Panoz

Thanx in advance, you guys already sorted out my Challenger problems
so I have great hopes

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
Probably the proffesor motor contoller will be best for you I think Andy Brown at AB slot sports stocks them or Sean at pendle.This controller is suitable for any type of motor and will give you better control over your cars i think there is a model with adjustable brakes now as well.
Graham

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
i got some red-fox ones, 45 ohm (works with most cars with mags, some with extra mags), and a 25 ohm one (for cars with even more magnets
). They are both way better than the scalextric ones, allowing you to use more travel on the trigger. If I had to stick with one for most of my cars, it would be 45ohm

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanx, I check out the suggestions, in the mean time can I lubricate the scaley resistors, as they are fairly rough and one has a "dead" spot in the middle although I have opened it and cleaned it and seems to make perfect contact, it is very annoying.

Off to look at the suggestions now

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
would appreciate your opinion/experience of Prof motor controllers Gra? Seriously considering a replacement for my Parma.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have the PM 2059 controller and it really does make a difference. It's sooo go I actually have no idea if someone de-slots and lands in my lane.

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
Jon the pm controller is very similar to a controller I designed and built many yrs ago it was revued by the then brsca magazine .The reason the pm is so good is that regardless of what motor you use the feel will remain the same , the pm is a diode chain voltage regulator ,what it does simply is alow the motor to draw as much current as it requires and vary the available voltage in 1.2-1.5v steps ,my own version was a little more sensitive as it used .6 vsteps ie 1 diode at a time The adjustment just adds or reduces the number of diodes in the chain raising or lowering the available voltage starting point for the motor,the higher the supply the more diodes you need to get the same feel.The down side is all the power passes through the wiper and not a transistor ,early problems I had were spark over to the brake band causing the wiper to weld its self in place thiswas cured by adding a dummy band and on my unit a capacitor ,this problem only occured when using 26g cobalt motors.
In conclusion the pm is a very good controller for the price.
Graham

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
I use Prof Motor controllers in preference to the Red Fox (next choice cause of the trigger) and Parma economy controllers I own. I've got two PMs, one bought direct from PM and the other I swapped for a Carerra Ferrari FI (Schumi) with a USA guy. I cannot recomend them enough whether you go for a basic model or a high end with adjustable sensitivty and brakes. I use one controller for all my cars from NC1 ninco classics to to my magnetic sledges.

I took mine in to getslotted and simon was impressed so he decided to stock one of the PM controllers which works with Scaly Sport and Ninco track terminals. When I was looking I could not find another UK stockist.

Worth every penny and I'm going to invest in a high end model for my club racing.

Matt

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
lectronic is all very good, but I would rather spend my money on a parma plus with a magic box (cheers Jim)

to boot that, BSn and 3.9 are getting one also.
lectronic might appear to be best, but lets see what is dominate on 31st, who and what is most popular

Rob.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Thanks Graham and the guys. I`ve fallen behind with the improving controlers but mainly due to Phoenix rules stating only Standard controlers. Now that`s changed need to update. Many thanks Guys!

·
Registered
263 Posts
QUOTE (Intergrali @ 12 Jan 2004, 04:15 PM)lectronic is all very good, but I would rather spend my money on a parma plus with a magic box (cheers Jim)

to boot that, BSn and 3.9 are getting one also.
lectronic might appear to be best, but lets see what is dominate on 31st, who and what is most popular

Rob.
Seriously though, at the end of the day, aslong as everyone racing has good quality controllers and evenly matched cars it will come down to driver ability, not controller!

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I wish! Do you think I can beat an SCX Citroen (box standard) in a straight line with my SCX lancer whena newish racer has an electronic controller and I`m on Parma Eco? Gotta be something in that or am I just getting slower in me old age? (stands up and paints aiming mark in centre of chest.... Incoming!!)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Jonny,

I know what you mean, perhaps if you had a Parma Pro you'd do alittle better. I feel from what I've seen at our track that it will be a combination of car and driver.
The variation in performance from a stock SCX rally car varies quite alot too. I've seen some real duds and some real flyers.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Slot d asked QUOTE can I lubricate the scaley resistors, as they are fairly rough and one has a "dead" spot in the middle although I have opened it and cleaned it and seems to make perfect contact
I haven't ever had this problem but I am curious as to possible answers.
Die-electric grease seems like a possibility - the grease itself is non conducting, so will not bridge across the windings, but is supposed to enhance contact between touching surfaces.
Any experienced views on this?

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
I clean my controllers about every 6 months. I clean the resistor/diodes with cotton wool buds with a drop of alcohol on it to get rid of the contact grud. Occe evaporated I dab on some WD40 on to the cotton wool bud and wipe that over the resistor/diode to ensure a smooth contact.

The latest Mas Slot mag did a review of elec controllers and concluded they did provide a small advantage as they inc volts going thru the track and thus give the motor that bit more rpm.

John - you're just getting slower
However my xsara is my quickest scx rally car, not in a straight line, it just handles the corners better. You need to tune your motor a bit more or get the latest batches of SCX RX-41/81 motors that have a bit more rpm.

Matt

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Thanks for depressing me further Matt! I`m fully `suped` up with latest motors etc just seems that the electronic gear gives you a boost.

We are on for 30th. Did you register? If not let me know and we`ll include you in the SRA bandwagon (right Paul!). `Timmy Jordan,Eddie Jordans love child` from Phoenix coming along too.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
No problem. Just let me know what time you want picking up and I`ll sort. Arrange RV point nearer time but will meet early enough to make the distance and arrive early. Want to get away mid afternoon and beat the madness if poss?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts