SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Relatively new to the slotcar hobby (or at least, new to today's technology)...been doing HO Model Railroading forever and a day, tho, so somewhat familiar with the basic electrical issues.

In the welcome forum, I had asked for some input on best "bang for the buck" upgrades for my new Scalextric Sport Track layout. One of the answers suggested I look into upgrading the controllers. Makes sense

So...can any of you old hands give me a "Controller 101" class? What sorts of things should I be looking for? How would they represent improvement over the stock scaley controllers? Is their a brand or model that is widely considered to be superior?

I also have plans (this weekend most likely) to add a stock scaley transformer, as that seems to be a simple "upgrade" that allows cars to be independant of each other in terms of available power. Does doing this impact controller choice at all? (Can't see how it would, but hey...might as well ask
)

Thanks in advance for any input,

/gb

·
Gary Skipp
6,506 Posts
Hi there.

'Parma Economy' controllers will be just fine and can be fitted with scalextric sport jacks. Second transformer is a must. Great value for money.

'Professor Motor' controllers are generally regarded as the best, but I know several people who have a had bad experiences. Very expensive too.

The OHM rating beonging to each controller means how sensitive the controller is. 15ohms will be very very twitchy and best best used for strong magnet cars. 60ohms on the other hand gives a large 'spread' of power distribution. Rule of thumb is to go as low as you can. For home racing, a 45ohm will suit nearly all cars and is therfore the most sensible choice.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
For magnet racing my favourite ohmage is 35 to 40 ohms. My favourite controllers are Fly Professional (good ergonomics and adjustable active brakes), and Red Fox (imho a little nicer than Parma eco controllers)

·
Registered
458 Posts
prof motors are good, but im not to keen on them myself. they havent got the feel of a resisto controller. id say get 45 throttles if your running std scalex/ low mag/ no mag, or a 35 if your uber magnetising stuff. also definately get the 2nd transformer. throttles wise id go for a parma eco to start with, if your going to club race then go for the pro model which is more expensive, but worth it. however if you want a controller thatll do EVERYTHING then theres always the slot wiz, but that is very very expensive at £110
parma eco £20 (pendle)
parma turbo £40 (pendle)
prof motors £50 (getslotted)
slot wiz £110 (ab slotsport)

pendle will fit the plugs to your controllers for £2 i think
hope this helps
CG

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
I have scaley sport, I lasted about a week with the standard 60 ohm controllers,
then I got Parma economy 45 ohm and what a difference.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Went out this evening and purchased a pair of Parma Economy 45 ohm controllers.

You were right, PJF! What a difference!!

Thanks again for all the input, gang.

/gb

1 - 7 of 7 Posts