SlotForum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I tried to convert a scalextric Viper to digital. It ran for a bit then crapped out. I seemed to run slower then the boxsters. It seemed to drag. not sure if it was the magnet or my poor soldering .

anyway I read some folks have converted some cars, like a scalextric porsche and FLY 908. I would love to see some pictures of the scalextric porsche's conversion and how it was done

thanks

brian

ps

you can post here or email me the pictures
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
QUOTE (bmacminn @ 11 Jan 2005, 11:52)Hi. I tried to convert a scalextric Viper to digital. It ran for a bit then crapped out. I seemed to run slower then the boxsters. It seemed to drag. not sure if it was the magnet or my poor soldering .

anyway I read some folks have converted some cars, like a scalextric porsche and FLY 908. I would love to see some pictures of the scalextric porsche's conversion and how it was done

thanks

brian

ps

[email protected]
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Brian, if you search for posts by me (drummer ) you'll find the pics of the Porsche 911 and FLY 908 conversions. They are all a little less nippy than the boxsters/audis but there's not a lot in it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
QUOTE (bmacminn @ 11 Jan 2005, 11:52)Hi. I tried to convert a scalextric Viper to digital. It ran for a bit then crapped out. I seemed to run slower then the boxsters. It seemed to drag. not sure if it was the magnet or my poor soldering

I converted my Sport Skoda Fabia. Some interior pictures here.

It runs perfectly and after I removing the 4WD belt, keeps pace with the Boxters, but is more 'fun' to drive

I don't like the way the wires from the SSD board are soldered directly to the guide now however. In particular it is actually the stiff wire legs of the noise supressing resistor/capacitor/whatever that are soldered to the guide 'plates. ' After a spin-out one of the wires snapped and I had to re-solder it. It seems like poor design to me to have these twisting forces on the stiff wires all the time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm wanting to buy a 4wd car with the specific intention of fitting a land-rover (series III) body and converting it to digital. There seem to be few different manufacturers doing 4wd cars - but which will be the easiest to convert to digital?
Bear in mind, a LR has zero overhang at the front - so fitting in the guide blade and drive to the front wheels could be hard

The only one I've seen in the flesh is an SCX Porsche 959 where the motor shaft exits at both ends - fitting the sensor under the shaft would be a real pain, but possible

Any thoughts or suggestions on which donor vehicle to use?

How easy is it to custom make a chassis for this kind of thing? This might be the only way I'll get proper ground clearance. It's going to be an old landrover - I don't expect it to be as quick as an of the shelf car. I won't be fitting magnets, or anything like that, and if it gets a bit of bodyroll round the corners - that's just realism. The main thing for me is that it has to be a vaguely realistic model ( wheels are a concern) and it must be 4x4.

I've got an airfix kit lined up to donate the upper body. although I'm on the look out for a die-cast one of the right size - it should give the correct speed/cornering crashing abilities!

Cheers,

Iain

·
Registered
511 Posts
QUOTE (Slotrace.dk @ 11 Jan 2005, 22:47)I see you have to have the Lane Change LED behind the guide. Isn't there some cars that has a screw it that position and if so - what do you do then?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The hole for the LC LED is already presenst on the Skoda (and all new Scalextric cars I believe). although it did require some enlarging.

If you have a screw there, well just make a hole fore or aft of it. I think the trickiest part of it all is finding room inside for all the boards and wires. Even the Skoda which is 'digital ready' was a little tricky because of the board for the front lights being rather in the way.

·
Registered
220 Posts
QUOTE (bmacminn @ 11 Jan 2005, 21:52)Hi. I tried to convert a scalextric Viper to digital. It ran for a bit then crapped out. I seemed to run slower then the boxsters. It seemed to drag. not sure if it was the magnet or my poor soldering .

thanks

brian

ps

[email protected]
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I sucessfully converted two TVR's this week-end. I did have to make chassis changes though, as the board has to sit alongside the front mounted motor. I used the side of the motor without the drivers legs protruding, so just had to remove the raised channels of the chassis. I used the front button magnet pocket for the sensor, and used hot glue to sit the boards in place. I should have used my dremel for the removel of the plastic, will probably use it for the next one - I just melted the plastic with my soldering iron on these two. Resulting effort great though, and great fun to drive - I will not miss the donor Audi TT's at all, and have put them in the car park with some die cast models.

Cheers

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.