SlotForum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a couple of recently completed open wheel builds using vintage parts for your amusement/entertainment.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

First up is a 1/32 Cooper T53 built to compete in the CSCRA open frame motor/steering class here in the UK. The body is from Airfix and was selected on the basis of the height of the rear of the car beneath the engine cowling which is a perfect size and position to accommodate the high brush gear of a Pittman 196B.

Tire Wheel Car Automotive tire Vehicle

I had originally intended to use an MRRC steering unit with this build, but realised that the existing Airfix unit, although a lighter plastic construction, worked very well and the track width would be only a fraction narrower than the MRRC unit. Using the existing steering unit also meant I could retain the front mounting points and construct a mounting bracket for the motor to mate with these. So the end result is a cross between a chassis and a monocoque construction which works very well. The race numbers are just those available in the decal box and do not represent an actual race livery.

Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire Wheel

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

Wheel Toy Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

The second build is a 1/24 Vanwall modelled loosely on the car Moss drove at the 1958 German GP. The body is a Merit which started life as a static model and needed some fettling to prepare it for use as a slot car body. This build is destined to compete primarily in the “Big Bird” races held at Rockingham, Hawthorne Park and the vintage meeting on my home track here in the UK. The rules for this class dictate the use of an open frame motor and parts manufactured before 1972.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Gramophone record Automotive exterior

The motor is an Aristocraft 5 pole mated to a Dynamic motor bracket, guide tongue and axle carrier. I have added a brass plate below to stiffen the chassis structure and lower the centre of gravity. It runs and handles pretty well and now brakes well too after a magnet zap with my new re-magnetiser. It now joins the team of other Merit/Smer 1/24 scale cars ready for the first race.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Mark

·
Administrator
10,313 Posts
Very clever builds Mark. Surprised the Airfix steering unit works well, but i've never really tried one to tell the truth.

Hope I can make it over for Double Trouble and Big Birds...

Don

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Don.
You have to try the steering class! They require a slightly different technique to drive, but are a blast to race and watch drifting on opposite lock around the corners!
Mark

·
Registered
756 Posts
Nice builds Mark! I built some cars using MRRC steering front ends and their 3 and 5 poles, but never tried one of them seriously. Your Vanwall seems to retain the original motor U-bracket: did Dynamic make a frame without bearings for that type of motors or did you apply some surgery to the chassis?
Eduardo

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Eduardo,
Thank you!
Yes....Dynamic make a bracket for open frame motors #562...see below. So I have used one of these with the standard rear bracket on the Aristocraft motor. The only issue for me with these brackets is that there is only one attachment screw point for the guide tongue which is a bit fragile in the event of a shunt. That is why I have added the brass plate below to stiffen the whole structure.

Mark

Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Computer hardware Electronic engineering

·
Premium Member
2,245 Posts
Excellent cars Mark. I can vouch for the Talbot Lago being a blast to drive as you kindly lent it to me for the last Bordo Refugees meeting at Trelawney Raceway. Thanks again. I have been inspired to build my own Alfa 158 to these rules and it is coming along nicely.

The Cooper looks to have the piano wire rails soldered directly to the motor pole pieces. Did this entail dismantling of the motor and armature removal? The magnet at the very least must have come out for the task so presumably this must have been one of the first re-zapping jobs for your hernia machine?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Keith,
The wire bracket is brass rod, soldered to the motor bracket side plates not to the motor. This is just to stiffen the structure of the bracket when/if I need to remove the motor. My poor soldering skills are on show again!
The motor looks well used and rusty, but in fact is NOS but the box and inner paper wrapping got wet in storage somewhere. But it runs fast and strong!
Mark

Cutting mat Toy Engineering Space Motor vehicle

Cutting mat Blue Toy Motor vehicle Car

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Richard.
I like to think of my soldering as functional and strong, but I am always very jealous of the very neat and clean soldering we see in some chassis builds!
Mark

·
Registered
756 Posts
Yes....Dynamic make a bracket for open frame motors #562...
I already know the frame for Pittman 66/77 and have a couple of them under Pactra Maserati 5000 and E-Jag bodies, but did never see one of these before, it seems that Dynamic covered all types of motors available at the time! Thanks for showing Mark

1 - 16 of 16 Posts