SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen - my next project for my British GP starting grid from Aintree 1955 is going to be this car:

Cooper Car Company
#40 Cooper T40 - Jack Brabham

Basicly it will be a modified AA Bodies 17 Cooper T39 shell on a PSC 32 chassis and some Scalextric Cooper wheels.

On the entire www and in books I can find three different photos of the car from this particular race, one of them even in colour (please see Paul Parker: Formula 1 in Camera 1950-59, page 111).

But now to my somehow crazy question. On this particular colour photo the right mirror seems to be black while the left one seems to be pure aluminium. One of the two other B/W photos also indicates a dark and a bright mirror.

Can this be true?

If yes, it could indicate that one of them was retrofitted at the track during race weekend. But can anybody confirm?

Cheers, Holger

NB! Photos will follow as the project progresses

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,373 Posts
I can,t help with the info But I assume this is the car you are building?

I will watch this build with interest. As a late teenager I would spend a lot of time at a friends bodyworks here in Tasmania, where I would sit on his old race car in the corner of the workshop. It was only some years later that both Frank and I both discovered that it was Jacks old race car! Frank soon restored the car and sold it off at what he thought was a good profit!

The car had been raced down here as a sports car before Frank brought it. It was 50mm longer than the t39 to take the Bristol motor.

·
John Roche
4,203 Posts
Phil, one of the things I love about this forum is the way members bring up stuff we'd never dream of.

Cheers

John

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
You're right about the Parker book's colour photo, Holger, and I would go with that.
Brabham largely built the car himself and finished it just in time for the British GP. The colour of the mirrors was probably not high on his list of priorities. I've a b/w pic of the car wheeled out in bare aluminium at Coopers shortly beforehand, without mirrors. He probably picked up whatever was around in the workshop.
Do your other photos show the air intake on the left of the rear fairing?
Rob J

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
No, Phil. Mine's not a race photo. Just Jack sitting in the bare car before being pushed to the paint shed, I suppose.
It's from straight in front. Yours would give Holger a better idea of the air intake, if he hasn't got it already.
I think JB won the Aussie GP in it, and there would be photos of it there, but maybe he had matching mirrors by then.
By the way, Holger, are you giving it a longer wheelbase than the T39? All of 5cm in 1:1. The rivet counters may be watching.
Rob J

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rob J - Yes, I will go for the two different coloured mirrors, and no, I will not add to the length of the AA shell. I have descided that 5 cm will not be visible in 1:32 :)

Phil - yes, I know of this photo, and it is one of my proofs, that the mirrors were different coloured. And it also shows the air intake pretty well. When I am finished I will show a photo of the car alongside my #47 version from Le Mans the same year.

Joel - thanks :) I just love all F1 cars form the fifties, especially from 1955.

Photos will follow, Holger

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to give you an idea of what we are talking about here

Right:
Le Mans 1955
#47 Cooper T39
Team: Cooper Car Co., GB
Drivers: Edgar Wadsworth, GB / John Brown, GB

Left:
British GP Aintree 1955
#40 Cooper T40
Team: Cooper Car Co., GB
Driver: Jack Brabham, AU

Both cars are build upon AA Bodies 17 shells + PSC 32 chassis. Cooper logos are expected from Pattos every day now.

/Holger

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,373 Posts
When the car appeared at Crystal Palace it appears to have matching mirrors. Jack only finished the car hours before Aintree so probably just grabbed what mirrors he had in the Cooper workshop!

I may have some local pics of the car fitted with headlights when it was running as a sports car down here.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Black Jack at Aintree, July 16, 1955.

One more for the starting grid of 25 (including Connaught Type B STR #34 as a non-starter). 12 down - and 13 still to go!

As said, Cooper logo will be added as soon as it arrives.

/Holger

1 - 12 of 12 Posts