SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you've been following this build you'll notice the photos appear fuzzy. The lighting in David's shed is fairly dim, so that combined with poor equipment and no photography skill results in pics which don't really do the track justice.

The last sector of the circuit copped some scenerey. I reckon we need to put a rusty broken down support vehicle near that white tyre (behind the large bill board). I think the windmill is getting a rusty tank too. These photos were taken yesterday and I reckon they are clearer than what has been shown already.

You'll notice Dave has added paint marks on the armco...

Cheers

Kirk (Dave's brother)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Cheers for the comments guys.

Slotrace.dk - Walls are about 16-18 inches high (maybe 40cmish). David will tell you more accurately. As for simple looking -, it's kind of the look we were after. Even putting the grandstands in may have been over doing it in terms of facilities (for Australian circuits of that era), but we wanted to really play down the amount of man made structres and signage.

Tileguy - Yeah I agree. I was a big ambassador for painting the track, but it all came down to time. Basically we both became Dads last year and we wanted something that looked good and was functional. As most of us know it is hard to get time to put the effort it in that these projects really require. We also didn't want the project to be on going and never get used. If we wanted to build it to the standards of the great tracks of the world, I think (for our ability and time available) we would still be working on this thing for another year or more - Given the time available with family committments. There are things that we kind of left, like to be picky, the track should be flush with the scenery everywhere, but on some of the gravel traps we just started laying gravel on the table top... It all came down to time available and we wanted to get on and start racing. So while we accept it is not one of the greats, it still looks good (especially to the average guest), it's very functional, it captures the era we were after and has a real Australian flavour... which guys like knoath (dick) can relate to. Thanks for your remarks. It means a lot coming from a guy with your eye for detail.

Kirk

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'll get Dave to give you exact dimensions of the wall (as the track is at his place and I'm just going from memory).

Also there is no solid "lid" at this stage, but it will have a cover of some sort.

Dick - Appreciate / relate to.... ha... yeah, it was a late night post and the brain was off.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The flat bed truck arrived. It came with some authenticity certificate... for $15 and made in china how authentic can it be? I was impressed with the detail... The bonnet (hood for the american folk) opens old school in parts and folds up (like gull wings that fold up)... anyway... It didn't take too long for my authentic P.O.S. truck to age a little.

Before

2 hrs after opening the box...

All weathering done with acrylic paints and a paint brush. I thought I'd have a bit of a crack at it with what I had at home before I messed around with weathering kits. Worst case - just order another one off ebay. I think it aged a little more than Dave was anticipating (he hasn't seen it yet)... but ultimately I found it easier to age it like bastard, than to subtly age it... so tough Dave...

1 week until 1st propper meeting. 8 cars on the track - hopefully it should work sweet. Should be able to get some video footage too.

Kirk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Grab your popcorn, it's time for a movie.

Racing was mostly by first timers so some of it is fairly ordinary in the video (jerky and erratic) and the lane changers aren't being utilised as much as they would if guys with a bit more confidence were racing. I've chopped and edited footage to try to eliminate the parts where our punters ran out of talent. Anyway, enjoy.

I know I can insert the youtube video, but our work server is playing up and the link is the quickest way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.