SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
René 'Vialli' Christensen
4,861 Posts
I love it!!!
Looks very simple, but has a lot of details!!!

How tall are the 'walls' on the box???
Do you have a lid for it?

I would love to have it like that, so I still could use the top as a table for boardgames.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Love those vintage signs and yea, Bleep nailed it....excellent execution of Era scenery work ................This has come along ways since i last saw it on auslot.......I still woulda painted the track but i think i said that already a long time ago

Great job guys, definitly a track you can be proud of........You certainly have impressed me....( even without the painted track he he he
)

~T~

·
Registered
77 Posts
Cheers for the comments guys.

Slotrace.dk - Walls are about 16-18 inches high (maybe 40cmish). David will tell you more accurately. As for simple looking -, it's kind of the look we were after. Even putting the grandstands in may have been over doing it in terms of facilities (for Australian circuits of that era), but we wanted to really play down the amount of man made structres and signage.

Tileguy - Yeah I agree. I was a big ambassador for painting the track, but it all came down to time. Basically we both became Dads last year and we wanted something that looked good and was functional. As most of us know it is hard to get time to put the effort it in that these projects really require. We also didn't want the project to be on going and never get used. If we wanted to build it to the standards of the great tracks of the world, I think (for our ability and time available) we would still be working on this thing for another year or more - Given the time available with family committments. There are things that we kind of left, like to be picky, the track should be flush with the scenery everywhere, but on some of the gravel traps we just started laying gravel on the table top... It all came down to time available and we wanted to get on and start racing. So while we accept it is not one of the greats, it still looks good (especially to the average guest), it's very functional, it captures the era we were after and has a real Australian flavour... which guys like knoath (dick) can relate to. Thanks for your remarks. It means a lot coming from a guy with your eye for detail.

Kirk

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
QUOTE (Captain (Aus) @ 10 Jun 2009, 07:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Slotrace.dk - Walls are about 16-18 inches high (maybe 40cmish). David will tell you more accurately. As for simple looking -, it's kind of the look we were after. Even putting the grandstands in may have been over doing it in terms of facilities (for Australian circuits of that era), but we wanted to really play down the amount of man made structres and signage.

A great looking layout.
I presume the 16-18 inches is the OUTSIDE wall height, right?
What about the INSIDE wall height. Appears to be 6-9 inches. I presume the rest of the height is below the track level covering the table infrastructure, correct?

I think Slotrace.dk is interested, as I am, on the inside wall height as it shows how much height is required for scenery perspective as well as keeping the cars on the table. Right, Slotrace.dk?

Anyway, congrats on completing your layout... something I still hope to attain.
Cheers!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'll get Dave to give you exact dimensions of the wall (as the track is at his place and I'm just going from memory).

Also there is no solid "lid" at this stage, but it will have a cover of some sort.

Dick - Appreciate / relate to.... ha... yeah, it was a late night post and the brain was off.

·
David Taylor
271 Posts
Hello guys.

Thanks for the comments. The inside wall height is around 350mm (maybe slightly higher). Most of the track is laid flat on the table but the back straight raises up about 50mm all the way through to the start of the start straight. The first corner raises around 20mm.

Our first analogue track a couple of years ago had a wall height of around 150mm but we found occasionally the cars would still find their way on the floor at the end of the long straights.

i plan to put a hard cover across the top.......but the wind mill will need a small hole allowed for it because it is about 30mm proud.

Knoath - I cant recall Amaroo layout to be honest....will look up auto pics to see if I can see a photo of that section. They stopped racing at Amaroo before we were old enough to remember things like that!!

Cheers,

Dave

·
David Taylor
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Kirk (Captain) and I were looking for a 1:32 flat bed truck to fill an empty scenery space on the outside of one of the corners. Kirk found these on ebay for $14US plus $12US postage to Australia. With the orange flashing light and chains on the back tray it is perfect for a model recovery vehicle. We will water down a rusty paint colour and go over the grill and under tray to remove the immaculate look of the truck. Absolute bargain if you ask me and it is 1:32 scale. Search for 1:32 flat bed truck if yor are interested. there are other types and colours available.

Dave

·
Registered
77 Posts
The flat bed truck arrived. It came with some authenticity certificate... for $15 and made in china how authentic can it be? I was impressed with the detail... The bonnet (hood for the american folk) opens old school in parts and folds up (like gull wings that fold up)... anyway... It didn't take too long for my authentic P.O.S. truck to age a little.

Before

2 hrs after opening the box...

All weathering done with acrylic paints and a paint brush. I thought I'd have a bit of a crack at it with what I had at home before I messed around with weathering kits. Worst case - just order another one off ebay. I think it aged a little more than Dave was anticipating (he hasn't seen it yet)... but ultimately I found it easier to age it like bastard, than to subtly age it... so tough Dave...

1 week until 1st propper meeting. 8 cars on the track - hopefully it should work sweet. Should be able to get some video footage too.

Kirk

·
Gary Skipp
6,715 Posts
Wow, what a track! You've done a fantastic job with the scenery, I like the way you have shrouded the N-Digital module. The circuit looks really atmospheric, and the weathering work on the truck is very admirable. Great work

·
Tel
4,186 Posts
Excellent work on the track, truck looks superb too, I look forward to the vid

·
Registered
25 Posts
Great work, guys! The look are simple wonderful! Is very rare scenery in N-Digital Layout's

One question, it's possible use the X Lane Change with multilane kit? We have here in BR a group of N-Digital fans and we wonder whether it is possible.

Congratulations, I would like to see a video of a race your's.

·
David Taylor
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Maran,

It is possible to use the X lane change but not between say lanes 2 and 3 of a four lane track (due to the way the track joins). It cant be used as a bridging section of track. I would stay with the single lane changers anyway...they seem more reliable.

The multi lane digital is fun but the outer two lanes dont get used much. We mostly run on the middle two lanes and swap between them. I am going to re-do the locations of my lane changers and possibly get some more single lane changers.

Cheers for the comments

Dave

·
Registered
25 Posts
Dave,

Thanks for the feedback. Really to use more intensively the 4 tracks to be with 6 or + racers. As the multilane, I thought about doing a D.I.Y. with "X" including the tracks 2 and 3
? From what has been done so far on the track, note that manual skill and patience abound, hehe.
I think that would further "adrenaline" in the progress of races. Here we do not have a permanent track, but we believe in something like a diy high speed lane changer and the 132 Carrera, but done on Ninco track.

Maran

·
David Taylor
271 Posts
Kirk (Captain) and I have our first big night for the track this Saturday. So far we have 21 confirmed racers at the moment. I thought I would just take a few pics of the set up. By the way. I think I have sorted out all problems with timing and not so quite reliable double lane changers. It was very minute pices of braid in the slot that must have just been touching the rails in th edead strips. All tested and working 100% now...timing and all lane changers. Wooohoooo!!!! Enjoy.

The Shed.....

(pics of the old mans racing speedway days.....mid 70s)

(newly purchased table)

The Rules....

The Cars and Officials Table.........

The Score Board And Random Qualifying Cards.........

Because there are a few people coming, I have made up some qualifying cards that are randomly distributed to all racers for each round. A round consists of a series of heats.

At the end of the night, the points from the rounds are tallied and we go into a sprintcar style C B and A main where the bottom scorers are in the C, The mid scorers are in the B and The top scorers are in the A mains. The C main is run first and the first two finishers move to the B. the B is run and the first two finishers move to the A. Finally the A is run and first second third are decided for the night (You can see the huge trophies that get awarded for the night on the car table!!!!). The good thing is if you play your cards right you can still come back from the C Main to win the night (but you would have to race well as we are planning to run 5 lap races crash and burn style).

Dave

21 - 40 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.