SlotForum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Giacomo
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
after a long waiting and thinking (dreaming) I start building a 3 lane track.
I have now to buy the copper tape and found sometime ago that Venture tapes have conducting glue which sounds a very good plus. Can anyone confirm it is conducting and if you can safely make joints without soldering?
I found in fleebay "Venture copper foil 7/32" x 33m used for stained glass, is this the one I should get?
I found also that Parma is selling copper tapes but it sounds double price than the above probably because the thikness (0.015") and width (0.25") is bigger.
Any help would be very much appreciated mates.
Thanks,
JamieG

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
I'd recommend the Parma tape (or equivalent from other slot racing suppliers) for any wood track.
It needs to be stretched as it is laid, works superbly like that.

I'd recommend soldering connections.
I know some are reluctant to use a soldering iron, but its easy enough to learn to use one well and once learnt you'll wonder why you didn't get on with it earlier.

Tape made for stained glass windows is great for stained glass windows.
I've seen plenty of threads where people are not able to lay stained glass tape on a slot track properly. Enough said.

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
Venture tape is just fine for your purpose. I used the size you mention on my home track and it has performed faultlessly for over three years.

We also used it on our club track (although a slightly thicker version) and it too is still going strong after four year's hard use.

I know of at least ten other mdf tracks with Venture tape - all work perfectly.

The fact that it is advertised for stained glass use is totally irrelevant - I doubt the manufacturer knows it is used on slot car tracks! If it will stick firmly to slippery glass then it will stick even better to mdf.

I don't know whether the adhesive is conductive but it really doesn't matter anyway - if you do have any power loss at a tape overlap then just poke it with a pointed implement to join the two pieces.

Solder any joins if you wish but it is not 100% necessary - our club track doesn't contain a single soldered joint and it is 110ft long!

·
Fast Co.
1,240 Posts
Venture tape worked fine for my 88' four-lane track. Hasn't come up after a years use and it's less likely that it will come up now than it was during the first week after it was laid. Power comes into two taps in the track. Nothing's soldered. I simply drilled small holes on either side of each slot, laid the tape, stabbed the tape with an Exacto knife above each hole and set a brass screw down through the hole. Electrical contacts were fastened to the screws with nuts below the track. Works beautifully though if I go for a long time without running it becomes necessary to clean tarnish off the copper tape. Easiest way to maintain it is to use it.

·
Rich Dumas
3,675 Posts
All of our taped wood tracks use Venture tape and it works well. I don't know about the Parma tape, which could be repackaged Venture tape, but it is not a good idea to put much tension on the tape when you lay it down. If you use much tension the tape will be much more likely to split where it crosses joints in the track. The adhesive on Venture tape does conduct electricity.

·
Premium Member
4,517 Posts
Hi
I have always used the cooper tape that Chas Keeling supplies http://www.chaskeelingscd.co.uk/
The first 3 tracks built by the East Devon Slot Racing Club used this tape. I have tried using the self adhesive style cooper tape but never had much luck with it. Two tips for laying cooper tape are to apply the glue (evo-stick) to both surface's and wait a few minutes before laying the tape. Also when laying the tape work in the warmest place you can find, this will help prevent wrinkles forming in the tape as it expands and contracts with changes in temperture.
Firmly rub down the tape with a piece of rounded of wood, not your thumb or finger. The tape will cut you......
Dave S

·
Registered
30 Posts
I used Venture tape on ~80ft plastic track for over 2 years without any problem. It needed a little early maintenance to make good on the various breaks that occurred during laying, but since they were done, everything has been fine.

I used 3/16in x 36yd bought from here:

http://www.trinitystainedglass.co.uk/copper-foil.asp

I pressed the tape down using a screw driver handle - I did start to use my fingers and was doing quite well until the concentration slipped and the tape bit me!

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
I doubt the glue is conductive. With the Venture tape I need to use a knife to score the tape to ensure conductivity from copper to rail. Also after time due to expansion and contraction the majority of joints are broken so Ive had to hardwire every joint from underneath.

Rick

·
Registered
30 Posts
^^^^^^
Agreed - adhesive is not conductive.
Ditto for me with the scoring of the tape to the rails below, although I never had any major problems with track movement. With the few problems I had, all I needed to do was 'patch' a short strip of tape over the join, score it through to the rail and job done.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Have you considered spending a little more to buy a rebating bit, and cut gains, then lay tinned copper braid.
It will never lift, never wear out unless used every day for many years, requires no power taps, and never cracks or needs re-soldering.
It simply removes frustrating maintenance, and the "oh why did it develop a crack today of all days when "xxxxx" are coming over in 10 minutes"

·
Giacomo
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you mates for all the kind answers.
Yesterday I decided to go safer and spend a fortune with the Parma tape. I've put so much time and money on the track right now that I did not want to take a chance on the tape.

I have enquired the Venture tape seller and this is part of the answer I got:
<<<<
Hi Giacomo
The copper foil is conductive as it is used in electrical and I don't think I have supplied to slot car racing guys but have sold quite a lot to model railway people who will have similar requirements to yourself.
The foil is 1mil (0.025mm) thick.
>>>>>

Parma tape is 0.015" (0.381mm)!

About the braid (post from Slotcrazy): I do have considered braid but the work involved is too much and I am already pushing my luck with my half beloved since I had to move all my slot car stuff in the living room for a week now and the house is a real mess. So I must speed up a little and have no time to cut the recess. It might be that after few years if I am not satisfied with the tape I will go for braid.

Cheers,
JamieG

1 - 13 of 13 Posts