SlotForum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided enough playing with the track layout and time to put some time into the corner fencing to stop cars flying off. Money being tight I am just toying with idea of using something like commercial carpet floor tiles (they are 600x600) and cutting them down to either 75mm or 44mm as per pictures attached.

Fosters side is 75mm high left is 44mm high.JPG

Fosters side is 75mm high left is 44mm high

Fosters with car, close up.JPG

Fosters with car, close up

left 44mm high close up.JPG

left 44mm high close up with car

Right 75mm high left is 44mm high.JPG

Right 75mm high left is 44mm high

I am not sure as to the correct sizing etc of the fencing so the 75mm has a car placed in front, the 44mm doesn't. I think you can see pretty well from the photos so I won't blah blah on any feedback suggestions please let me know.

Especially for the correct size of the fence itself.

Thanks
Johnno

Attachments

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Great idea ,but with it on the track edge you could go flat out in the corner with the tail of the car riding the fence thus gaining quite an advantage . Certainly a cheap and effective way of creating a guard rail , just need to space it away from the track edge . Good luck , Steve

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hi Steve,

Good catch, didn't think about that. I will tinker with that. Do you have any borders that you are able to measure the width for me, I am guessing somewhere from 15mm to 20mm? I may as well try and get some sort of near to width if I am to do this properly. Wasn't sure which height would be better suited neither, I did think that most tracks the fencing is higher than the car, but road circuits I see fencing the same height as cars, so not sure this is why I did the 75mm with Fosters signage on it and the 44mm (which is the height of the Fosters sign itself thus it will be placed right at ground level, which when I add the track border it might look reasonable also.

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yeah been looking and thinking about it all, the taller Fosters one looks like a Noise Reduction Barrier you see along the freeways near housing developments.

The lower wall near same height as the car as I mentioned appears more realistic in scale as well I think.

Now to buy some white paint (not sure whether to go for gloss enamel or matt enamel yet) to do the track border, I figure black and white track borders as the white and red is too much like Carerra colour style.

Thanks for your opinion, appreciate it.

·
Martyn
742 Posts
For me, and this again is personal choice, I wanted something to stop the cars flying off the track and onto the concrete floor. the height of the fence did this and it was at least the height of your tallest barrier if not twice the height, but it does work which for me was what it was all about anyway. I used gutter guard and spray painted it silver and put adverts onto it, and to me it look ok. and since Ive started to use it I've had no major crashes. The cost was about £5.00 for two meter length. and about £2.50 for the spare paint. but you don't have to paint it. it was brown before painting.

Athrlyth

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I Athrlyth,

Yes I had thought about guttergard product for the track barrier (around edge of entire board/s) and as you said it is cheap too. These fences are for track cornering more than the actual board barrier itself. I don't have the money to by the plastic scalextric track borders and am attempting to make my own, I can only try. I just find the rices for the track borders are just ridiculous... these borders should be sold in bulk packs or supplied with the track pieces in my opinion as the track pieces are also pricey for what they are, again my opinion.

I might ask if you could post one or two pictures of your board barrier using the guttergard.

Cheers

Johnno

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Hi Johnno, I might have some of the borders (not the fences) if they would be of any use to you .If you want them, I'll go and count what I've got ,no cost, just the postage All the best Steve

·
Circuit Owner
5,905 Posts
I like what you have done with the carpet tiles. The borders pushing the barrier away from the track edge are essential as has been stated above. I assume you run with magnets, in which case the border width you have allowed is enough to negate the benefit of attempting to "ride the barrier" around the turn.

But if you ever see yourself trying running without magnets then the borders need to be a little wider - more like a minimum of 50mm.

As for paint - matt will probably wear, but you do get tyres marks which can be cool. Gloss doesn't look right (just my opinion). On rally tracks I have used a matt white and then coated it with a silk clear coat (a cheap varnish finish) which gives the track some durability AND allows a satisfying amount of slide. I suspect the back of your carpet tiles is very grippy - which may or may not be a good thing depending on your driving style and personal preferences.

Remember at the end of the day - it is what suits you and enhances your enjoyment. If you are not sure - try it. You can always go back a step and try something different.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like what you have done with the carpet tiles. The borders pushing the barrier away from the track edge are essential as has been stated above. I assume you run with magnets, in which case the border width you have allowed is enough to negate the benefit of attempting to "ride the barrier" around the turn.

But if you ever see yourself trying running without magnets then the borders need to be a little wider - more like a minimum of 50mm.

As for paint - matt will probably wear, but you do get tyres marks which can be cool. Gloss doesn't look right (just my opinion). On rally tracks I have used a matt white and then coated it with a silk clear coat (a cheap varnish finish) which gives the track some durability AND allows a satisfying amount of slide. I suspect the back of your carpet tiles is very grippy - which may or may not be a good thing depending on your driving style and personal preferences.

Remember at the end of the day - it is what suits you and enhances your enjoyment. If you are not sure - try it. You can always go back a step and try something different.
Thanks for that, just trying to re-purpose what I can and helps the non-existent budget (currently loads of high medical bills and on-going costs, I am making do).

I also wasn't sure what the sizing etc should be hence this thread that others no doubt might get something out of also, if not, at least an idea or two what they can use such as carpet and floor tiles.

hmm I might just make them all 50mm where I can then, just to cover all bases, I thought I could turn them over and actually use the carpet itself for the border, paint it green, adds a different border for those that get cocky and expect the same grip from all borders, don't know. I also need to raise the borders as they sit slightly below track level currently.

I will not be having mega scenic track as I lack artistic talent and vision and don't know anyone in my area that is into building this sort of thing. I am thinking of heading to my local model railway club at the Men's Shed and have a chat with some of those guys to see what might come of that.

Re the paint, yes that is what I was thinking about the Matt finish, that it will get scuffed with tyre marks, just like the real tracks do which I think would add some realism into the track as well. I liked the gloss as it would keep it all new, too new though all the time, again thinking about it, however your suggestion of clear coating the border is good, and will do some borders in both Matt white and black and clear coated and some without clear coating, this way I can pull the tyre marked Matt one's out and replace with the clear coated one's giving the appearance that the corner has had some new paint work done:) I understand also white and red are so that drivers can see them, but yeah no for that colour combination. I could use white and yellow too i guess.

Yup for sure, I got plenty of floor tiles to play with and cut up, I got two large supermarket shopping trolleys of them.

Cheers

Johnno

1 - 10 of 10 Posts