SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now, if you want to shout, 'But that's not really a build, Wankel' I'll not argue. Whatever, with the Jag' I painted the inserts, some random colours on buttons on the console, the hidden B-pillar and did assemble the chassis. Took me forever; feels like a build to me.

Also, and after all the angst it caused it's really not that apparent, but I made an effort to put the bland driver figure into Mark Goossen's overalls and helmet (kinda). Actually, it's probably good that you can't see Mark that well because the Jaguar 'leaper' that is, er, leaping, on his chest looks more like a poorly executed, slightly narked T.rex. Meh.

The Bentley represents something closer to a build, in that I did take a razor saw to the original Braha chassis. Annoyingly I chopped a bit I had earmarked not to chop and so the front splitter had to be glued on instead of relying on the original screw fittings. Amateur. Oh, and I stupidly touched up a few bits o' black with a matt paint when a gloss would have been better and not doing anything probably better still. Amateur on a learning curve.

I have sourced a Hasegawa driver figure but have yet to paint him up. I might never get round to it, if I'm honest.

Decals (So that surely qualifies it as a build?) on the wing are from Patto.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Oh, yeah! Rain on the parade, won't ya?
'Have they got lights?', he asks! Tsch! Took me long enough to get them unlit.
Some want it 'with jam on' eh, Wankel Ickx? :O :p

·
Premium Member
6,127 Posts
To those who suspect I've been slacking... I have been slacking.🙄

But here's the state of play, today, as the slacking paused.

Man! That ZeroPaints Lamborghini pink really is PINK! Might be too pink, actually, but I'm going to put more coats on and see.

Bonus points for identifying the car under the masking tape. Automotive lighting Product Toy Motor vehicle Magenta

Attachments

·
Jim Moyes
5,231 Posts
Bonus points for identifying the car under the masking tape.
Is it Jack Sears BTCC winning Austin A105 Westminster?

Or possibly a Group 5 Reliant Supervan III.

·
Circuit Owner
5,959 Posts
Mmmmm bubblegum pink! Tasty!

A like high visibility paint jobs - makes it easier for my eyes to follow when racing.

·
Premium Member
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
...not to mention the fact that I've seen Z4 mentioned more than a few times in your writings.
D'oh!🙄

I... think I'm happy with the stripes as per yesterday's masking. They looked dead good on the first, thin, coat but after the second the 'silver-ness' of the paint went more... silvery. Go figure. Photos to follow.

·
Premium Member
6,127 Posts
Yeah, we've had this before, Redcat. I'm not a purist, not a fan of BMW bikes or cars and, like a lot of the world, happy in my ignorance of tradition and all things BMW are Beemer to me

I was also happy with the stripes on the Zee and thought I'd push my airbrushing luck somewhat and paint the A-pillars rather than try and use the decals on the sheet. Even though I thought I'd done a spiffy job of masking everything some whisps of orange sneaked through, and, adding insult to injury, as I peeled the masking tape off, I took a wee bit of the black from the nose. Meh. Undaunted, I invested in some wider Tamiya masking tape and set to again. Sadly, the bloomin' new stuff took a couple of chips of the Tamiya paint of the bonnet this time. Double, meh. I believe/hope these will be hidden by decals....

Tire Hood Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior

I fear I'll not get away with the same fudge with the problems that have befallen the M6 and Lambo'... Photos to follow.

Attachments

Reactions: GRUNZ

·
ParrotGod
10,984 Posts
masking is a bit of a miss for me as well.

First of all do not use the wide tamiya tape as it does not stick properly - I hate the thing!

Second, when you have some difficult recess to cover, use a soft pencil to push the tape in without breaking it of course.

Third, before spraying the paint use a light coat of clearcoat to seal the masking, wait a bit to let it dry and the get on with your colour.

Finally, do not leave the tape there forever. Once you have waited 5 min after spraying, remove the tape. Also I usually put on the tape just before spraying, I do not leave sitting on the car for too long.

Just a question, why the Z4? I thought that you were going for the M6.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts