SlotForum banner
101 - 120 of 121 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
This definitely doesn't count as a Corona-build because I'm pretty sure I started work on it about fifteen years ago? And it's clearly still not finished but over the intervening years I've lost a good few of the parts from the box and I figured I'd best get something recorded before I lose the whole shebang. The 'tuner' nature of the model offends me more and more and since discovering the police car kit has a standard front I'm having to really fight the urge to make another purchase.
Vehicle Car Wheel Motor vehicle Hood

Wheel Vehicle Tire Car Hood

Arii kit on a very rudimentary cut 'n' shut Ninco Cobra chassis with some truly gnarly tyres. :oops:

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
This definitely doesn't count as a Corona-build because I'm pretty sure I started work on it about fifteen years ago? And it's clearly still not finished but over the intervening years I've lost a good few of the parts from the box and I figured I'd best get something recorded before I lose the whole shebang. The 'tuner' nature of the model offends me more and more and since discovering the police car kit has a standard front I'm having to really fight the urge to make another purchase.
View attachment 284719

View attachment 284718
Arii kit on a very rudimentary cut 'n' shut Ninco Cobra chassis with some truly gnarly tyres. :oops:
Mmm … Interesting, everyone has a tuner spirit inside… there’s hope after all🙏😉

Pa. is like discovering Senator Palpatine is the Lord Sith…😈

·
Premium Member
6,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Mann Filters yellow!

Guess what else is on the workbench, then? Go on, guess!🙄

·
Premium Member
6,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Scaleauto. Bit of a delayed response, there. :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, I wasn't going to but decided I would; put a little update in, that is. Although I've been a little distracted by Plafit searches and queries and frustrations I have been busy with the masking tape an' airbrush on a couple of 1:32 projects. One that was there on the first page of this thread and one that seems to have jumped the queue somehow.

First up, the Direction Racing Huracan, by me, by Sideways. Let this one be a lesson to you: do you're God damned research before starting a project.

And then do some more.

See, initially I found some render images on the t'internet that made me think this a fetching scheme. So I ordered the decals. Then when it came to order paint I did some more research and discovered that in almost every damned photo taken the colours on this one seem to be oh so slightly different. And sometimes majorly so. Hell, it took me a while to realised that the deeper hue is actually a chrome wrap. Which is annoying. Actually, I'm still doing a doubletake every time I look to any of my many reference photos.

Whatever, I can't do chrome, don't believe I've got a particularly close match and need to add the fiddly little pink bits in front of the headlights but here's the current state of play with the rampant, two-tone bull:

Automotive design Material property Tool Magenta Art

I'm still trying to decide if I cut corners to get the beast finished and go with the white stripes as supplied on the decal sheet or if I man up and try to paint them. I kinda know which way that is going to go because I fear the white wont be white enough and I'll always look and think, 'Yep. Shoulda painted those stripes'. :rolleyes:

And here's the interloper:

Toy Tool Engineering Electric blue Composite material

Argh! So, it turns out, on that side of things, that I couldn't be happy with the fit of the magnetised nose and thought I'd carve a little plastic from inside the pointy bit. Top tip: don't carve too hard on the Policar Monoposto nose.

Bit of filler required, obvs. :oops:

Although I've yet to run one of these I'm so smitten with the looks of these cars and because I have a surplus of Zero Paints in certain colours I've already picked up a couple more sets of decals from Atalaya and will be sniffing for white kits at Gaydon this weekend.

·
Premium Member
6,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Spray decal sheet? Advanced stuff, merkit. Too, too advanced for me.🙄

·
Slot King
3,705 Posts
Word of warning, if you do spray decals, do not wait overnight for the paint/varnish to dry, it will be as stiff as a board.
Apply the decals within 3 to 4 hours of spraying, no more. (If you are really really brave 2 hours).
It works brilliantly.

Joel

·
ParrotGod
11,089 Posts
I was under the impression that you want to let the pain degas before doing anything with it.
I wait for a week sometimes even more before I put decals on my cars after they have been painted and clearcoted.

·
Premium Member
6,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 · (Edited)
While taking some snaps of stuff to be eBay-ed at some distant point in the future I couldn't help but take a shot of this one, even though I've not yet finished with Alonso's head.
Tire Vehicle Car Wheel Automotive tire

A little backfill. I had to fight the three-part decals over the engine cover and didn't quite get it right but I'm pleased with the overall fit 'n' finish. Kinda. I am slightly worried about the adhesion of the primer and paint as I managed to achieve a couple of chips in an earlier test assembly of painted components. Since I had started out trialling Zero Paints pink primer I'm wondering if that's to blame - the stuff was so gritty I decided to ISO it off and revert to Plan A, my usual go-to; Halfords Grey Primer. I fear now something just hasn't bonded sufficiently well. Time will tell on that one.

Time will also reveal how my modification to the standard nose fixing fares. Going the magnets-in-the-nose route, I felt the original fit of the mound and nipples, and opposing dimples, created too much of a gap, so I started carving at the nose to get the forward magnet better recessed.

Bad move.

I should've know me and scalpels frequently don't jive. I cut through the upper surface! :mad: Meh.

After remedying that I sanded away the nipples, drilled through the dimples and inserted short lengths of plastic rod. The nose now feels like it is held enough to take bumpy track but will exit (without damage??) in a shunt. Maybe.
Automotive tire Racing Motorsport Vehicle Electric blue

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Automotive tire Toy

Automotive tire Tire Sports equipment Vehicle Toy

Decals by Atalaya
Zero Paints from Hiroboy
Fudge by Wankel

Mind, I am rather chuffed with the look of #14 and sufficiently pleased to schedule an attempt at a BWT Alpine and at an Aston, decals for which I already have in my possession. Shame about the red wires. 🤷‍♂️

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
That is fantastic Mr Ickx! you are quite right to be pleased with the finish. I look forward to seeing the next Alpine and the Aston.

(I replaced the red wire with thin black wire. A little bit of soldering and then, as GDS says above they can be run inside the nose.)

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
6,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
Now, you see, I looked at an internal path for the wires and concluded they'd be tight, restrict guide swing and, with such a light front end, induce de-slots. Mind, I didn't even try them inside.

When Little Fernando and his head are reunited and reinstalled I'll have a go. (y)

Black wires? Yeah, got some but despite not liking the look I've endedbup with I decided it was extra effort and perhaps I could live with the rouge. Maybe. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: GDSLOT

·
ParrotGod
11,089 Posts
Very nice Pedro. What rubber did you put on the back?
As for wires, how about the white NSR wires? Ultra-thin and flexible.

Reactions: GDSLOT

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Very nice Pedro. What rubber did you put on the back?
As for wires, how about the white NSR wires? Ultra-thin and flexible.
Those seem to be stock Policar Tires, I’d suggest to fit some NSR High grip F1 Tires , I prefer them over the Policar racing slicks (sort of red compound soft tires vs medium compound on the Policar racing slicks and hard compound on the stock tires).😉

• Helpful
Reactions: GRUNZ

·
Premium Member
6,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
What rubber did you put on the back?
I think they're Policar G25s. Maybe. Which is to say, I don't remember for sure. 😬

GD', I'll look at picking up some of those NSRs - didn't know they existed.

• Helpful
Reactions: GRUNZ
101 - 120 of 121 Posts