SlotForum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Rich Dumas
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to duplicate this Corvair bodied modified in HO. I never saw the actual car on the track in 1969 since I was in the Army at the time. A hardbody, resin cast or Lexan would be OK.

·
Registered
19 Posts
M.E.V. makes Corvairs for T-jet chassis:

http://www.tjets.com/

I had the thrill of owning a '64 Monza but traded it in on a 66 Mustang convertible.
The Monza was one hot machine. Would liked to have been able to buy a Yenko but the wife wasn't enthusiastic.

George

·
Registered
714 Posts
Apart from the wheels hanging out, that's as nice a Corvair as I have ever seen.
Shame about the wheels spoiling a good looking car.

·
Rich Dumas
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Of course the modified just used a Corvair body but I always thought that the Corvair, especially the later ones were the poor mans' Porsche. A friend of mine drove one until it rusted away. The car had decent power, even by todays standards, there was lots of interior space with a nice flat floor, the trunk was larger than you would expect and the handling was good. GM never got the reliability up to par but the engine was a six when Porsche was still using a four. I worked with a guy that collected Corvairs. He was always getting packages from some company that does OEM and repro parts for them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
QUOTE the later ones were the poor mans' Porsche

Indeed they were. I sparred with a few 911s on Hwy. 1 in Northern California. My Corvair could really straighten tight curves much better and at higher speeds.
Biggest problem with it was keeping all four carbs working - was an every weekend job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts