SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Rich Dumas
4,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to duplicate this Corvair bodied modified in HO. I never saw the actual car on the track in 1969 since I was in the Army at the time. A hardbody, resin cast or Lexan would be OK.

·
Rich Dumas
4,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Of course the modified just used a Corvair body but I always thought that the Corvair, especially the later ones were the poor mans' Porsche. A friend of mine drove one until it rusted away. The car had decent power, even by todays standards, there was lots of interior space with a nice flat floor, the trunk was larger than you would expect and the handling was good. GM never got the reliability up to par but the engine was a six when Porsche was still using a four. I worked with a guy that collected Corvairs. He was always getting packages from some company that does OEM and repro parts for them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
QUOTE the later ones were the poor mans' Porsche

Indeed they were. I sparred with a few 911s on Hwy. 1 in Northern California. My Corvair could really straighten tight curves much better and at higher speeds.
Biggest problem with it was keeping all four carbs working - was an every weekend job.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I fondly remember my 4 carb Corsa. I bought it when it had 2 carbs and bought the secondaries from a fellow Corvair owner. T get a nice reliable setup, I replaced the springs on the secondary linkage with rubber hose. Worked great! The only rub was when the engine was cold. You couldn't mash it. But after it was warmed up, worked like a charm. The older springs added a variable that I didn't need.

·
Registered
538 Posts
My roommate from college once had a Monza convertible that had been modified by a fellow who had his own Corvair that he planned to take to Bonneville to attempt a class speed record. We drove the convertible as far as we could in the first week of a 2-week break during the gas crisis of the '70's. Got as far as Chicago, and then turned back to California. We had the beast up to 135 mph in Nevada, until it began lifting the front end due to lack of an air dam. That was a fun little car!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I see your beautiful, blue version and have a few:

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant

and a "Sportsman" fantasy for the original post creator:

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

All my former resins in 1:32

·
ParrotGod
12,013 Posts
@dreinecke: David, what happened to the resin mold for this car?
Thanks to Jay Leno Garage, I am hooked to Corvair, such a beautiful car and very different.
Who knows, maybe we will see a Thunderslot version of this car...or maybe not. So where can I find one?

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I bought two complete kits last year. I only made one slot car.

I have one perfectly mint kit set aside for making a few more. I am not certain there's money in doing such a thing with 3D printers around.

Time will soon tell. I have 32 fresh staples in my belly from surgery and can't lift the lid off the casting tank yet. I can't even lift an empty envelope yet today. But one of these days. I'm coming for the Corvair below!
Rectangle Material property Font Circuit component Metal

·
ParrotGod
12,013 Posts
I think there is a market for this car.
I agree that with 3dp printing it might be challenging to recover the costs of the cast.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts