SlotForum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Latest shots available before the oficial release at the Detroit Motor show in January. Here we get a hint of things to come with the C6-R 2005 Racing Vette.

Click here for larger image

$69,300 base
3130 lbs
19x12 rear wheels w/ 325/30ZR19
18x9.5 front wheels w/ 275/35ZR18
14" front rotors
13.4" rear rotors
3-spoke steering wheel
Standard HUD
500 hp @ 6200 rpm
475 lbs-ft @ 4800
7000 rpm redline
0-60 < 4 seconds
1/4 Mile < 12 seconds
18% airflow improvement over LS2 heads
2.2-inch titanium intake valves
1.62-inch sodium filled hollow exhaust valves
.591 inch lift

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (astro @ 24 Dec 2004, 13:32)Great looking car - except for the chassis pic, which gives away the fact that it is really a sawn off pick up truck!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The perspective makes it look a little strange, but that's about all the metal in the car. The rest is balsawood - yes they use balsa in the panel and floorboards - and fiberglass. There may be a Carbon fibre hood to save on weight, but the rest is just glass and epoxy gelcoat.

·
Premium Member
5,237 Posts
Balsa wood and glass floors were features of the Alpine-Renault A110... Gives incredible rigidity with minimal thickness and no worry about termites inside the glass.

Interestingly, the concept and design of modern cars such as Corvettes and Lotuses is a straight copy of what the French engineer Gregoire was trying unsuccessfully to push in the early 1950's with his Gregoire and Panhard cars...
Nice to see his ideas suceed today, albeit in a drawn instead of cast form.

Dok Pea

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
The new Corvettes are quite state-of-the-art. If the C5 wasn't proof enough that GM can build a winning car, and it did more than its fair share of that.... the C6 will be! I doubt that you can buy a better performing car for the money, even if it is out-of-range for most of us.

I'm still in awe from driving the C5 with 90% "R" specs that my neighbour (and local dealer) let me play with last summer. He's moving.... we're moving... but he's promised me a play in his C6 come spring!

No matter what anyone thinks of US cars, the Vette is a perfect example of what CAN be built as opposed to what is usually built!

·
Premium Member
5,690 Posts
Hmmm.

It's the arse that does nothing for me.

Oh, and the pointy bit, and the bit in the middle.

Some magazine I read somewhere said it was a proper goer, though. I just don't think they'll sell well in Blighty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts