SlotForum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Philip Insull
1,765 Posts
QUOTE Model boat clubs aren't far behind, either.

Hi Martin,
It's a pity your not based up here in the Midlands, the Kingswinford Model Boat Club of which I'm secretary only charge £25 per year membership and covers affiliation to the Model Yachting Association, 3rd party liability insurance (which we have to have), the annual water lease fees we have to pay to the local authority, newsletters and regular winter time indoor meetings. Not bad value really for less than 50p per week, I recon just charging up my boats and transmitter batteries each week costs me more than 50p and travel cost is about 50p in fuel.

I find slot racing on the other hand more expensive as it costs the same for annual membership at Wolves, then £4 per night session fee on a Thursday and probably on average about £4 in fuel to get to Wolves and back on a Thursday night and I dread to think what average weekly spend I have on body shells, paints, glues, parts and electricity for soldering and dremmelling, although I know I do build more than many other fans of the hobby.

It would be nice to find a hobby that's either very cheap or free but given that we get taxed and charged double for everything in the UK its unlikely - lol!

Cheers
Phil

· Philip Insull
1,765 Posts
QUOTE I can do that with model boats too as we're surrounded by useful bodies of water. And I will NOT pay for insurance for a bloomin' model boat. How am I going to kill you with a Keilkraft Sea Urchin or a handmade Victorian yacht? What tosh.

Martin,
I couldn't agree more mate particularly if your lucky enough to be able to sail where you like for free. Sadly here in the West Midlands all the ponds canals and lakes are controlled by the Local Authorities and or water boards and clubs have to buy a yearly lease to sail on them. Part of their terms and conditions state that all members need 3rd party liability cover or no lease. We could sail without but if you are caught doing so then we are in breach of local by-laws and the fines are far more punative than the fee we pay for a years membership - it's then a gamble are you likely to be caught and prosecuted? who knows but its the fear of a big fine (upto £1000) in our area that forces most of us to obey rules we don't agree with. (Bizarely my brother-in-law has a small lake on his farm land but the actual water in it is according to them owned by Severn Trent Water and we cant sail or fish without buying a licence from them! - Mad!)

As for costs of travelling to local slot clubs I also agree that the fuel costs often outweigh the charges clubs make and in these difficult times for many it doesn't make financial sense when they can run a track at home - I suppose the only thing I'd miss then is the social side. I love building cars and boats but the costs of parts and materials means that even this has started to get very expensive although there is the satisfaction of building something that you can't get with any RTR no matter how good the finish is on them; and as someone has pointed out RTR prices have seemingly gone through the roof in the past 12 months.

Maybe we are all getting old but the world seemed so much simpler and a damn sight cheaper when I were a lad!

Cheers
Phil

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.