SlotForum banner

Couldn't believe this when I saw it

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Pete-slot 
#1 ·
Tyre Warmers for slot cars, can it make a difference. I think this one step to far

#7 ·
As rubber gets warmer it gets softer.
Softer rubber will give you a larger contact patch to the track.
So yes warmer tyres will make you go faster.
if you treat tyres like 15 shore with oil (like the PT15 from slot it for example) they will start to produce bogeys on abrasive tracks as they get hot/soft
which will degrade your performance. On smooth wood tracks it doesnt happen so much.
Its a fine line ... which im not sure anyone has tested fully.
Even if they had they probably wouldnt tell you !

#8 ·
A certain young racer, at a cub in the midlands, has been chastised more than once for "warming" his tyres between heats on the radiators of the club room...................

It had helped him produce some very quck times during heats.

#9 ·
I used tyre warmers in Tamiya F1 cars and it made a lot of difference on cool days..

So maybe a 7.2 volt racing pack some cloth fine wire Velcro for fasteners hmmmmmmmm

#10 ·
Its an idea that has been tried in the past. Its not to difficult to make a pair of 1.32 tyres warmers, a bit fiddly to do but the problem is, due to the small mass of the tyres, they loose heat very quickly. Only of any use in low winter time temp's, and in poorly heated club rooms!
Regards Bill.
P.S. Or simply hold the model over radiator before your next race, as done by the above mentioned young racer!

#12 ·
If I see anyone with a set of these it will be a sure sign that they have concerns over their skill and ability.

. . . . and that they have more money than sense!

#13 ·
think HOBBY is right , they just wont hold any given temperature other than their standard temperature for long enough to get any advantage.
Even in F1 the rubber doesnt hold temp for long once they take the covers off... just see how precise the mechanics are about taking the covers
off at the last possible moment, and then the drivers still weave about like crazy to get them up to the right heat.

Going the other way - temperature wise
I tried freezing (standard kitchen freezer) slot it F15 rubber to get them to true up without overheating.....
needless to say it didnt work they just heated up as quick as normal ... it needed 0 kelvin probably !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.