SlotForum banner

Any interest in more stuff like this?

• No- leave me alone or I’ll hit you with a bag of oranges!

Votes: 0 0.0%
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

· Premium Member
5,619 Posts
Slot thingies that have no front wheels can't be called cars....unless one has been invented that will run just on the back wheels:)

I'm still interested to know if steering has any advantage if both front wheels are sitting properly on the track!
The only advantage a slot car would have with the front wheels "solidly planted" is a greater resistance to a rollover condition. Old vintage cars from the 1960s with their engineering equation upside down would benefit, modern slot cars with all their weight "below the belt" do not. In fact the world's fastest slot cars today do not have functional front wheels, just little flexible rubber thingies positioned horizontally to lower their minuscule weight even more, because... regulations.
As far as cars with "independent front wheels", it matters little again because the inside front will always be off the ground while cornering, but if there is axle friction inside the axle tube, then yes, independent wheels will be beneficial.

· Registered
369 Posts
Having the front wheels not touchig is not something easily seen or effecting how the car looks. They are so close the you can spin one slowly while it is setting still but you can't really see that it's not flush with the track. Remember the cars tillt in the corner makes the outside wheel touch while the inside wheel slightly lifts off the track.

As to having all the weight on the front guide and no real wheels touching at all, I hate that look and wouldn't build anything like that. Facts are facts and slot car speed records belong to cars with no real front wheels and with all the weight on the guide. That is not debatable. I don't like it, but it is what it is. I believe Pactra made the nice independent turning front axles. They allowed the wheels to spin independently. Of course Cox had free wheeling front wheels..

· Premium Member
5,619 Posts
The Cox cars that had an Ackerman steering are only RTR models, and are limited to two models: the 1/24 scale Lotus 40 and the Ford GT40. Later, the Hong Kong built Lola T70 in its first version also had one, but there is no part in common with the American tooling for it. Different tooling.
The Cox Chaparral 2 RTR did not have Ackerman steering, but Cox marketed both the steering unit and extra narrow Chaparral wheels, but they were threaded 5-40, so to make this work you had to drill them with a 1/8" bit.
This is right off my head and needs verifying but I am pretty sure.

· Premium Member
5,619 Posts
P, did Cox indeed release RTR cars without steering, as I claimed earlier? It seemed that way to me, but I'm not sure...

Don
The only ones with steering were the Lotus and the Ford.
The 1/24 scale Cheetah, Ferrari, BRM, Chaparral 2 and of course the two 1/32 scale Ford and Cheetah did not have the Ackerman steering.

· Registered
3,270 Posts
Ackerman. Accu-ankle.

· Registered
1,479 Posts
What was old is new again! It's not a Cox but if you want to try a car with steering TTS March has got steering, and it's great to see and drive being an open wheeler you can see opposite lock when sideways in the corners, great fun! I downloaded a chassis file in 1/32 and printed it it works well also they seem to handle different to a normal slot car ,and quite enjoyable for a change!
Cheers,
John.
White Automotive tire Black Tire Rim
Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Hey Doug great product. I must try one.
I did notice the pic in the intro is my RTR Lotus. (yea! I made the big time) and that is Brads RTR Lotus on the box.
What is the price of this unit?

Thanks,
Martin. View attachment 335884
Hi Martin! Yep! I used some great images from slotblog…
Hey Doug great product. I must try one.
I did notice the pic in the intro is my RTR Lotus. (yea! I made the big time) and that is Brads RTR Lotus on the box.
What is the price of this unit?

Thanks,
Martin. View attachment 335884
Hi Martin, wow! thanks for the great photos! I would like to give You and Brad credit in the comments…can you send your full names to my YouTube email?
These kits are $30 in white and five dollars more in black…not sure why the price difference. Still quite a bit cheaper than I have found them on eBay. Shapeways prints them and sends them out. I have been very pleased with the quality of parts…their printers must be expensive.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
John! That TTS car is amazing! I want one!
Guess I will have to start looking on eBay for one. I have started to CAD some of these cool old designs. I wonder who could do CNC parts for cheap? Wish there was a Shapeways for CNC…

21 - 40 of 42 Posts