SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a while so I thought I would drop this on the forum. Needless to say. it's a Cox Chaparral 2D that I'm working on among many other projects which I'll put up when done real soon.

The first think I wanted to do with this car was to lower the car to a better stance. In order to that you have to cut the interior down (check photos) along with the posts. The good news about dropping the interior is that the wires from the motor fit better under the interior. I'm not using the original headlights so I have filled in the holes. I'll use a more realistic set of lights. I also fitted the black wrap for the windows. These will be fitted with rivets later. The body is not done yet but half way there. More details will be added. The chassis will be sand blasted along with the wheels. This car should look pretty good when it's done.

·
Premium Member
5,237 Posts
QUOTE This car should look pretty good when it's done.
I think that it looks pretty good now!

One of the things I always wanted to do is to make the doors operational, but I never had two of those bodies at the same time to do it!

Chris, please keep us posted on this project, and tell us what size of rivets you will use for the windows. The smallest stuff I can find is still too big...

·
Registered
545 Posts
Looking forward to the finished product Chris.

Your paint work has always inspired me. After some lengthy conversations with Chris Wright in the fine art of painting and putting the techniques that I think you use as well as Chris, I have a new found respect for the painting process alone. What I used to try to do in 2 days now takes about 10 days to do the job right. Still not on yours or Beardogs level but getting a little closer.

Jay

·
Registered
408 Posts
Thanks lads!

QUOTE (TSRF @ 13 Oct 2011, 13:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think that it looks pretty good now!

One of the things I always wanted to do is to make the doors operational, but I never had two of those bodies at the same time to do it!

Chris, please keep us posted on this project, and tell us what size of rivets you will use for the windows. The smallest stuff I can find is still too big...

The doors are a great idea. I think I'll have a go at that at some point. The best size for rivet on 1/24 scale is .5mm but the problem is finding a good batch of even size heads. I use .7mm but I like a little exaggeration to be honest and at that size you have even heads.

Update...

Building the rear spoiler. All I did here was use a piece of styrene and cut it down to size. Sanded the edges down cut 4 slits even across. I found some old round small etched hood hinges with holes in the middle and placed rivets in the middle of them. I then lined them up and glued them into place and then cleaned up the back of the spoiler. I've added scratched built door handles which I'll remove and add to the finished body later. You can see I've already started to clean up the body some more and I will do more clean up later before painting.

Please keep in mind that this is not meant to be accurate and there will be some exaggeration

More detailing to come

Onward...

·
Registered
408 Posts
Update...

Here's some photos of the 2D interior. I wanted to do something different with the inside. I'm sure there are some problems here and fore sure it will be pointed out to me but that's okay. All I wanted to do is add some more detail and make this car a little more than just the Cox kit. Needless to say, the parts are only placement glued and still need some clean up. Once all this is done, I'll nail it down. I might add, there will be more detail added after painting which should be a lot of fun. I did re-sculpt the driver a bit to make it work better and look a little more natural.

Anyway, onward...

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys!

update...

I went ahead and did some changes. The engine was too high and needed to be lowered. This is just glued for placement only and will be nailed down later. The trumpets are not glued but they do line up correct.

Onward....

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE (Ember @ 7 Nov 2011, 15:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Definitely inspiring of awe.

Thanks ember!

Almost finished the body. I've scratch built the mirrors and the front head lights. The front head lights were too basic and needed some attention. Just a real good sanding then a nice coat of white primer and we're off. I Should have some pictures of the painted interior real soon.

Onward...

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay, almost done with the interior. I need to finish off the dashboard which will go on later. I'll show photos of the complete interior later. It's not all glued down right now and there will be some minor touch ups. I did paint the car last night and I will show some photos of that real soon.

Onwards....

1 - 20 of 40 Posts