Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having sorted out the oxidised wheels in my other thread with help from the forum my final question is how do you clean up glue marks on windscreens?

I know that you can carefully rub it down using progressively finer papers but are there any other methods please?

Thanks
David

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
David

I have 3 different grades of polish supplied by Micro Mark in the states - Called Novus - they also supply some lovely sanding squares and 'ear buds' with different grade (from 1200 up to 12000) polishing cloths on them.

Elbow grease and Dremmel with the polishing tips, impregnated with the Novus at slow speeds work well for me.... - hope this helps....

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
ah...Anthony beat me to it! I started using Novus originally for removing scratches from 1:1 plastic convertible windows, but it works great for all kinds of model polishing.
The "white wheel" on your dremel will sling it around a bit so working inside a cardboard box can be a good idea. You'll need the coarsest grit to remove glue (in this
lifetime), and then progressively finer to clear things up. When finished, your "glass" will have a nice sheen to it.

Can't wait to see the finished car!!

John

PS if Novus isn't readily available in the UK, 3M also makes a good quality plastic polish.

·
Phil Smith
2,620 Posts
Don't use T-cut or Brasso etc, these have ammonia in them and your screen will 'craze' and in some circumstances actually crack.
A coat of Klear (dip it) will also take away a lot of scratches etc and I have even made 'foggy' screens clear with Klear.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hi Dave - This is not easy. The only way and depending on how far the glue is burnt into the plastic is to use sand paper. Novus is for light scratches. If it's real bad then go in with a course sanding on the glue area first. This will give you a chance to see if it can be sanded to a clear. Don;t worry, you'll know when the glue is gone and it will look rough because of the course sanding. This will save a massive amount of time brother. If it works out that the glue can be sanded out then sand out the course scratches and get it looking more soother in that area. It will look very foggy but don't worry. Once that's done go in with medium sanding cloths or sticks until it's all even. Once you have it all even then use your polishing sanding kit "MICRO-MESH™ " or something else. You should go through each cloth or pad until the last one which should be the finish one. This should make it pretty clear. After that, use your Novus if needed. The key to all this is to see if you can sand past the the glue. If you do that, your efforts will be rewarded. It takes time - no quick way. Be careful of using rotary tools because they can burn or melt the plastic.Good luck mate.

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Thanks for the advice about the screen clean up - apologies for the delay in replying....

In the end I cheated and used a vacform copy of the screen and headlight covers for my refurbished Lotus, here is a photo of the finished result.

I love Cox slot cars and this particular car brings back happy memories of Christmas 1966 when I received one as a gift and spent the holiday building it ready to give it its first run at the Westcliff Racing and Drag Racing Centre. I agree with Don Siegel's comments in the Cox Dino Ferrari thread about the shortcomings of Cox slot cars but I loved driving it then and still do even though they're not the quickest cars around. For my money they are the best looking slot cars.

David

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I know why you shouldn't be apologising, David. Sorry for keeping you waiting. The car looks magnificent! Must get my own one under way...

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
bosmeck beat me to it. be very carefull with the white buffing wheel on a dremel. you have to be really gentle and patient, otherwise you get a clear screen but its optically wrong and quite noticeable. i got the 2 grades of KRATZER-EX fromAldi.nr.1 repair and nr.2 finish. the finish has got to be seen to believe it. john

·
Bill Beggs
1,947 Posts
QUOTE (David Lawson @ 9 Sep 2012, 12:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for the advice about the screen clean up - apologies for the delay in replying....

In the end I cheated and used a vacform copy of the screen and headlight covers for my refurbished Lotus, here is a photo of the finished result.

I love Cox slot cars and this particular car brings back happy memories of Christmas 1966 when I received one as a gift and spent the holiday building it ready to give it its first run at the Westcliff Racing and Drag Racing Centre. I agree with Don Siegel's comments in the Cox Dino Ferrari thread about the shortcomings of Cox slot cars but I loved driving it then and still do even though they're not the quickest cars around. For my money they are the best looking slot cars.

David

I recd one back around '66 as well. It was given to me by the local hobby shop for running their display track at a Boy Scout function. Switched to big fat silicones, brass spur gear and the precut brass pan the shop sold. It was a winner.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts