SlotForum banner

Cox Lotus 40

12301 Views 17 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Coides
As you may know, I'm not really a 1:24 kind of guy but I do have a weakness for the 'Golden Age' slot car models such as the Cox Lotus 30/40, so when I saw a cheap one available about 8 years ago I couldn't resist.

Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle

When it arrived I began to see the folly of my ways, as it had a lot wrong with it. For example, here's the chassis:

White Black Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Font

Now I needed a lot of extra parts, so roll on another year or two and I was the owner of two cheap but decidedly dodgy Cox Lotuses, neither of which had a driver, rear view mirror or roll bar. Still, all the other bits were there in at least useable shape and, importantly one had an excellent chassis and the other had a very good body:

Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Gas Auto part Machine

Vehicle Hood Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

. . . So I doodled around for about 6 years waiting for that cheap driver to show up. Last year I gave up on that hopeless dream, acquired the driver and began the quick build - what could go wrong?

That's when I noticed that my 'very good' body had a lot of subtle, and some not-so subtle trimming of the wheel arches and underside. That was real stupid of me and I've paid over the last 4 weeks, sorting it out. It involved making a mould in each location, using plastic card, filling in with epoxy resin, adjusting/improving the mould a few times then lots of cutting,sanding and finishing. Here's an example - the worst wheel arch (front right):

Tire Wheel Photograph Vehicle Green

Aside from that, there has been a fair bit of fettling needed, such as cleaning up the windscreen/headlight covers, building a new roll bar etc.

I decided to build it as a generic Jim Clark Lotus 40, not a model of a particular car and stay away from mods that make it look 'realistic'. In my personal opinion Cox cars should look like Cox cars, not exact replicas of real cars.

Car Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle Green

Vehicle Green Wheel Hood Motor vehicle

Hood Car Green Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Green

Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive tire Gas

. . .and here's my 'bad body' Muletto, that I can bolt on whenever I want to thrash this baby around the track!

Vehicle Car Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Andy
See less See more
Reactions: 5
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
That's a labour of love Andy, the finished car looks good.

Joel

PS: What next, a Chaparal 2D?
Andy, thats some dedication there, lovely result.
Bob
I love the wheel arch work.. I may have to do that on my SCCA '68 Firebird as it turns out the body is actually a '69 that had rear fenders that slightly covered the wheels...
Andy

What a lot of work you have done but you have ended up with a great Lotus 40 so it was all worthwhile.

David

PS - I am also a lover of Cox slot cars and my personal favourite is the Lotus.
Funny how we 'oldies' live in the past
smile.png
Back in the 90's we used to race a hard body plastic 1/24th class. Predominantly Parma chassis with Tamiya Group C bodies. However one of the members had a Lotus 40 which brought back memories of the 60's when I really coveted one and could not afford to buy one. Now I have 3. Sigh
smile.png

Andy - that is a superb piece of work - talent supreme!!
See less See more
I got this one recently, which came with a great box all the paperwork and is in unsed condition. I love the car but am tempted to finish it like yours but I think it will ruin it's value.

Vehicle Car Hood Toy Automotive design

Tony

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: 1
My answer to that would be who cares?

I'd do it the way that I want and assume that I would keep it. Value is only in the eye of the beholder.

I fear I will never understand this money thing. Probably why I'm not rich
smile.png
See less See more
Reactions: 2
Thanks guys,

Chaparral 2D? Maybe indeed but I'm also lusting after a Cox Dino, Monogram Ford GT roadster, one or two Tamiyas, a Russkit Porsche 906 . . . this could get very messy!

Wheel arches: I suspect mine isn't the easiest way but it works for me. Air bubbles are a problem.

Three Lotuses: You mean you have my old problem plus one?

Value? I take your point. Why not get a junkier version and work with that? The World's full of dodgy Cox Lotus 40s. Also, you could make the next one a Lotus 30?

Andy
So Here are my 2 I did earlier - converted 1 into a Lotus 30 as the original exhausts and the exhaust holes were all there.

Lotus 30 workings bits not finished as I want to get it working for Bordo - so have to arrange some kind of batpans.

Tire Vehicle Wheel Car Green

Tire Vehicle Wheel Toy Car

Wheel Vehicle Hood Tire Motor vehicle

Tire Vehicle Car Wheel Green

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Toy

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: 3
Am I weird for getting excited about seeing wire mesh on the inlets look so amazing?
Nice Anthony!

I anguished a bit over those grilles - I opened them up on my Super Shells Lotus 30 and they look neat but in the end I kept to my plan for the Cox 40.

Vehicle Car Toy Automotive design Tire

Andy
See less See more
Reactions: 2
Thank goodness .. I almost felt normal there for a moment..
Bigtone - I would do it the way you want it to look - unless you intend to sell it soon. I personally prefer to do up these old cars - to my eyes they look great with a lick of paint and some proper decals and as they are for my enjoyment then I figure so long as I like it then what does it matter what others think - if the time comes to sell it I either won't be around or won't care because I have got my enjoyment out of owning the car
smile.png
See less See more
Nice work Andy, I can see a lot of effort went into this and it paid off.

I have a Monogram GT40 roadster project available if you're interested...

Pete
Oooooooh, you are awful! I still have a few bits of resin from you that haven't made it into my Revell GT collection yet.

Go on then, PM me with the gory details. . . .

Andy
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.