SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When racing do you race crash and burn, i.e. marshals remove cars or do you replace them
Yes - Crash and Burn925.71%
No - replace cars2160.00%
Other - please describe514.29%

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi all

I'm writing some rules for a championship and just wanted as many opinions as possible.

Any other points all appreciated.

Thanks Gareth
NSCC

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
We race timed races with variants ranging from 6 minutes on each lane to half an hour per lane team events over the 4 laners and on either track.
Crashes are replaced by the driver himself EXCEPT when it is in the tunnel . In this instance you must call 'tunnel' and there is a line before the tunnel that ALL racers must stop at, whilst the crasherd car is being retrieved. Over riding the mark gives a 1 lap penalty and 'tunnel clear' is the restart call. Cars are retrieved by the race director.
Having raced with Jexy and Co I have to say I was Really impressed with their crash and burn rules, seemd very fair and to be honest their driver station set up would not reasily accomodate the above rules.
For a Championship I would go for the easiest there is - timed sessions on each lane - non driving competitors marshall.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
if we have enough people we will marshal if not we dont. all non racers in the heat marshal unless their car is seriously broken and completely down and out

Rob.

·
Alan Tadd
4,035 Posts
Everyone races in turn on each lane.

Total laps/segments added together.

Winner travels farthest.

Everyone else marshalls.

Regards

Alan

·
Jim Moyes
5,045 Posts
Jexy1

All three clubs I attend race crash and burn format.

Perhaps you would like to join EE and myself at one of them tomorrow night?

Oh! No, you can't can you? On account of the impotent NSCC business you are attending to!

Stir, stir. Nuro, can we have a stirring smilie please?

Mr.M

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
My club races crash and burn, so that's what I ticked.
BUT, I totally hate it! I cannot undertand why anyone would want to race this way except not enough Marshalls present. ANYTHING is better than crash and burn.

·
Registered
752 Posts
The issue with crash and burn, is simply, that the best drivers get the most track time, and the beginners get next to no opportunity to improve.

-Rob

ps I get LOADS of track time in crash and burn
but, being serious, I may have driven 100 laps in the evening, but some of my less able competitors will have done 5 or 6....

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Rob (rr3.9)

You made a good point. racing Crash & Burn is all well and good for the veterans. However for people new to the hobby... ack, it's abit daunting.

Mind you, I do feel Crash & Burn is one of the best ways of learning slot car racing - talk about jumping in the deep-end.

Kids have got it easy nowadays with their flash new sets with Uber magnetic cars...

When I was young...[snip]

·
Registered
119 Posts
We started using timed crash & burn whenever we don't get enough marshalls. Heats are two minutes long, points are awarded based on finishing order plus laps. I think the Puget Sound guys use something like this according to one of our guys who came up with the idea (Dave C). Deslotting for any reason, including being nerfed, is a crash. I like the format because it was the first race I'd won in 2 years
using the tactical slow+steady method.

When we have enough marshalls, its back to the traditional timed heats which is preferred by most of my race group. So which choice to pick for the poll ?

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
You hit the nail squarely on the head, RR!
The odds are stacked VERY heavily against newbies and most of them eventually leave, totally disillusioned.
And the rest, the small core, wonder why they can't build up club numbers.
Yet THE glaringly obvious reason is staring them full in their faces.
It simply is NO FUN sitting watching other people enjoying themselves and being excluded for one tiny mistake.
I am starting to win races now, but even should I win the championship, I would still disagree with crash and burn - its a club killer (with some few exceptions!).

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Tropi,

You made some good points, when I first attended Farnham - I got slaughtered.

Anyway, I don't disagree that Crash & Burn can be a turn off.

However, Club members can cushion the blow by helping and encouraging new attendees, by taking time out to share just a few driving tips or possibly setups. Hopefully for once, forgetting the male-ego crap to help the new racer into the fray.

Jamie.

·
Jim Moyes
5,045 Posts
Surely Tropi, when a new person comes along to a club that marshalls, or plays magic cranes as I like to call it, they will be down several laps to the top boys by the end of the first race. Is that not just as off putting to that potential new member.

I certainly don't see much evidence of people coming along once never to be seen again, most are hooked for good. We never have races of more than 10 laps, so if you do come off on the first bend you have not long to wait till the end and anyway there is actually a motor race going on which you can watch and perhaps pick up a few tips from.

Also the fast and furious nature of crash and burn, well, our sort anyway, does allow a greater variety of classes to be run.

Can you not suggest at your club that you have, perhaps on a different day to your regular club meeting, a trial marshalled event?

Mr.M

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
QUOTE The odds are stacked VERY heavily against newbies

Have to disagree since I "won" a few races early on. It teaches you to finish first, first you have to finish. I suppose it depends upon the atmosphere/tone at the club. I have been lucky in that both Liphook and Farnham are very friendly and winning is nice, but not necessary for a good night's fun.

Scott

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
with that in mind, it may well be a good idea to run crash and burn for a few weeks at wrexham.. maybe the newbies (and James) might stop crashing in hard to reach places! Grrrrr waves stick...

admittedly, when we do race crash and burn, there is usually only 1 and the rare chance 2 cars that finish. "Well it's not my fault that you crashed, I waited behind you to crash then happily toddle on wait for next person to crash.. slow and steady an all that!

Rob.

p.s I seriously doubt we will be running crash and burn on 31st so stop worrying

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Mr Mat
QUOTE when a new person comes along to a club that marshalls, or plays magic cranes as I like to call it, they will be down several laps to the top boys by the end of the first race. Is that not just as off putting to that potential new member?
No, I don't think it is. At least they get to run the length of the heat or the race and that's track time that they can both enjoy AND benefit their driving skills. A far cry from sitting on the sidelines watching the rest still having fun. The difference is between being crap and having fun and being crap and not having fun!

Scott
Either you are naturally a good driver or lucky or perhaps both!
In which case, you will naturally not feel the same pain as the poor crashed and burnt boys! So it will be difficult for you to empathise with them.

Running marshalled races has often been suggested at our place, but the guys that run the joint are the guys who tend to be the winners and it is in their personal interest to maintain their status quo. Almost impossible to engender change in these circumstances. As I Improve (and I am!) I may even become one of them, but I hope not.

I won't belabour the point much more but just cite an example;

Say 16 guys turn up
Then each race will be 4 heats with each driver taking turns in all 4 lanes
Each heat winner goes to the final, which also rotates all 4 finalist over all 4 lanes

We usually run four such races in the course of an afternoon/evening, taking around 4 hours total.
If a guy comes off early in two of his 4 lane-heats he is effectively finished for that entire race. He could have raced for as little as 30 seconds, or even less, for that entire race! A relatively poor driver could spend as little as 2-3 minutes of actual racing in an entire afternoons racing of four hours. That is just NOT fun and it happens. And they leave. So we rarely get 16 drivers. Not good. Sermon over . . . until next time

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
As an alternative to crash and burn we tried crash and dash which means you put your own car back on ,Total mayhem but what a laugh ,keeps you fit too.

But seriously crash and burn in any format is bad ,marshalled races are by far better
Graham

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I think Jamie has hit on the main point. New members need to be helped to retain their interest. Doesn`t really matter which system you use, the point is to get new racers competitive as soon as possible with help from the senior members. Crash and burn is very exciting but we prefer to marshal the cars back on. It`s not good value for money to have a series of very short races when you have traveled a long way to a club night but it must be nice not having to keep asking for marshals at the start of evry race.

My one main experience of crash and burn was during the making of `Short Circuits`. It made the racing very exciting and tense and the atmosphere was electric. We used it for a season at the club for just one magnet classs but it has now been voted out, as has the one surviving magnet class.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts