SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every one has got crash barriers. They are great scenery and important practicle items. There are so many different types. Commercial and home made.
tyre walls, armco, wire fences, wooden fences, gravel traps concrete and stone walls....etc,etc.Made from plastic wood, wire, foam, rubber, plaster
Please post yours here. Great reference site and dissuss variuos merits, costs ,praticallity

Thanks

hetre is my latest project, made from foam type building material glued and pinned together. I like this as it will easily bend around any corners. Needs paint . will post pic of finished item soon

also stone walls. ( may be hard on cars!!! )

made from DAS. still needs painting

·
Registered
20 Posts
For the Glen in the Garage, I used 3/16 inch transmission hose from a local auto parts store. The size of the hose roughly matches the 1/43rd scale of tires. For the main straight pit wall, I used standard foam board and scored the back side of the piece with a utility blade in order to bend the board to fit the curve of the track.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Olsixfour,
It is great to see you are indeed making progress... which holds hope for those of us who are still struggling with pre-construction issues.

If I may ask...

1) What did you use to change the track colour... presumably paint, but what seemed to work for you?
2) Secondly, there is a sort of starters gantry on the track. Is that an SCX accessory or something you made/purchased? Just curious as it really suits the track.

If I read you correctly, this is a 1/43 scale layout, right?

Thanks.
Cheers!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Mine seem pretty poor by comparison with what's been shown here, but I use strips of a corrugated plastic called Correx (in Europe at least). Most widely used for estate agent signs, but if you are really serious can be sourced in various colours, in various thicknesses from 2-6mm and in sheets up to 8ft by 4ft. Depending on the thickness, I cut strips 3 or 4 flutes thick which gives a 10-12mm high barrier. Incredibly flexible, will easilt bend to a outside r1, and if used in long lengths gives great sweeping curves. To fix them, I push nails down through the flutes into holes drilled into the mdf borders & baseboard or can be hot glued. Becaise of the flutes running the length of the piece, there is a slight striping which looks like real barriers, and this can be emphasised by lightly scoring the surface. I had some which were black Correx covered with sliver gaffer tape, looked very effective. The ones in the picture have been decorated with pieces of red insulating tape. I put the tape onto a sheet about a metre long and 30cm wide, before I cut it into strips, and ended up with over 25 metres of border!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
I used Peco O Gauge railway fencing on my 1/40Jouef layout. Helps to enhance the layouts vintage feel.

Standard Jouef barriers were pretty basic,but after 45 years of use these have got some very nice rub marks on them!.

On my Scaley layout I use the very early Scalextric flexible fencing(also note the Scaley picket fencing to the rear).

Along with their earlier style of crash barriers.

& also their paling sections.

Cheers,
Kev

·
Registered
20 Posts
QUOTE (sealevel @ 11 Aug 2011, 01:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Olsixfour,
It is great to see you are indeed making progress... which holds hope for those of us who are still struggling with pre-construction issues.

If I may ask...

1) What did you use to change the track colour... presumably paint, but what seemed to work for you?
2) Secondly, there is a sort of starters gantry on the track. Is that an SCX accessory or something you made/purchased? Just curious as it really suits the track.

If I read you correctly, this is a 1/43 scale layout, right?

Thanks.
Cheers!

I used an interior latex paint for the track and pit area. Can't remember the name of the color off the top of my head, but it was purchased at Home Depot. I was looking for a color as close to weathered asphalt as possible, so I lifted a chunk out of the street and took it with to match colors.

The starter gantry is made from 3/16 foam board. Nothing fancy, just wanted the "look" of one.

·
slotfreak
320 Posts
HI
I used tin sheet to make crash barriers , armco.

I had to move the layout for a pending house move but when I resettle ill probably experiment with double layer on this to stiffen it a little.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I like the thread--always good to see what someone else is doing. Here are a couple of pictues of my barriers. I have made a jig to make them and mount them to the table with brass rod in the post ends to allow for some give. The guardrails themselves are wooden doll house door trim that comes in about 30 in lengths. They are painted Aluminum (sp) and mounted on pre-cut 3/8 in square basswood posts that has been cut to length and painted white. The posts are placed in the jig, the rails and posts are pre-drilled with a smaller than needed whole and the small brass brads are tapped into the rails and posts--still need to paint the brads but you get the idea. They are quite flexible and I am able to make barriers for turns also. Cheap and I like the look--not plastic. To each their own.
Howard

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Have been busy at work and been racing slotcars rather than landscaping, but here is a tyre barrier and wire fence I have made. I think a bit of advertising is required. I have also recently found a supply of hydraulic hose which will make better tyre walls. I think i will leave the top of the tyre bales exposed as the hydraulic hose looks very good.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts