Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm just getting into Slot Cars. I got myself a scalextric track and some cars. I would like to get into this but i'm not sure about a few things.

Compatability :

1) What's the difference between Scalextric and SCX and Ninco etc?
2) Can they be used together?
3) Can any car be used on any track.
I believe only cars with magnets in them can be used on a scalextric!
4) What are Fly Cars?

Race Skills :

Is the only way to stop my cars flying off the track to get better at driving or is there any modeification i can make?

Think tahts it for now, thanks for your help!

-Niall

·
Registered
714 Posts
Hi Niall!

QUOTE 1) What's the difference between Scalextric and SCX and Ninco etc?
For almost all purposes, none - only small details that are down to personal preference. But, as you started with Scalextric, I would recommend not buying any other make of car until you are well used to what you already have.

QUOTE 2) Can they be used together?
Yes, they can, though running on older Scalextric track may involve a tiny bit of trimming of the guide blade depth from some none Salextric cars that have very slightly deeper blades. NOT necessary if you run on Scalextric Sport track that has a deeper slot.

QUOTE 3) Can any car be used on any track.
Yes, apart from comments above.
QUOTE I believe only cars with magnets in them can be used on a scalextric!
Not so! It's just easier to drive faster with magnets to help out.

QUOTE 4) What are Fly Cars?
Another make (Spanish) that will run with the others. Famous for excellent detail, rather high prices and (sometimes) questionable running quality without a bit of attention. Again, I would recommend sticking with your Scalextric for a while and stay in touch with us at Slot Forum for further advice. You'll learn a LOT by reading here and it''s CHEAPER too!

QUOTE Race Skills :
Is the only way to stop my cars flying off the track to get better at driving or is there any modeification I can make?
Depending on your particular cars, yes, practice is the real key, though you will find from reading the forums that many cars have little foibles and small flaws that can be improved too.

Don't spend too much money in these early days until you are really familiar with your existing equipment - you will then make better choices that suit what YOU prefer, later.

PS, spend as much time as you can reading this and other forums - go back in time a bit, don't just read the latest stuff. There is all sorts stashed away a few days and weeks ago - lots of info available, and don't be afraid to ask more questions!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that's great. Now when you say the track can be used together, i'm assuming i need some sort of adaptor like the one for converting sports track to classic track.

I have bought a new car because i burnt out the motor on one of my cars the day i got it. i bought this one :

I'm considering buying another one, cos the cars i got with my scalextric are quite a bit nippier ( acceleration wise - I got the formula 1 sports track ).

I also bought a bunch of new sport track pieces to add on to my circuit just to make it a bit bigger. I have my eye on some other pieces but i'm running out of floor space.

I'm thinking of making a circuit with multilevels. I saw some track support on the internet. Have a feeling it might be a little unsteady though.
Has anybody done this before? And if so, how did it go?

Cheers,

-Niall

·
Registered
714 Posts
Ninco make similar adapters for permitting conenction between their track and either Scalextric Classic or SCX, which is virtually identical to Scalextric. But I would suggest you stick with Scalextric (Sport) to save complicating it with Ninco's different geometry.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts