SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I'm really pleased about Perez joining McLaren. He's a great driver and I'm excited to see if he can keep up his personal development in a top team.

I have to say my support for Hamilton has waned over the past year or so. He drove like a tool last year and he seems somewhat petulant out of the car. Or is it just that Button is so much more of a class act?

·
Administrator
10,138 Posts
The latter I think. Mr Button has been Mr Cool all year, it doesn't matter if he wins or loses - top bloke!

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
I look at it this way.

Driving a modern Formula 1 car quickly is rather like balancing a broom on your nose whilst juggling chainsaws on a tightrope above shark infested waters whilst doing long divison in your head.

Its tough, it's difficult and you've got to be slightly bonkers to do it. So I have no critisism of any current F1 driver because its a greasy pole and impossibly hard to get a seat and then seldom do many drivers excel at it for very long.

Lewis reacted poorly to what was happening last year. He's only ever known meteoric success in all his racing life. To be faced with a quick car that was still no match for the Red Bull/Vettel combination must have come as a dreadful shock to his system.

He's still very young too and has known no other way of life, so you can fully expect the pressures and stress to get to him. Completely excuseable.

Last year also saw the release of the film Senna in which the narrative picked up upon the fact that Senna was poorly treated in F1 and I think Lewis saw himself in the same situation and reacted in the same way. With emotion and being outspoken in a unprofessional and headline grabbing way. Of course the media hyped all this up to generate a feeding frenzy, blowing it out of all proportion (to what is really important in life) as they are want to do at the drop of a hat.

Meanwhile Jenson Button has been through the good and bad times of any seasoned F1 driver. First with Williams when they were at their technical peak, then later with Benetton, BAR and Honda when the cars were appalling!

How many times did we see Jenson being interviewed in the pit lane after yet another retirement?

Yet he's carried on and all those knocks have toughened him up and made him the supercool driver we see today. A driver that doesn't get wound up by petty issues and is smooth as silk 99% of the time. A brilliant champion in the Brawn and a superb driver for McLaren, working to get the team behind him and challenge even when the McLaren was just making up the numbers.

Flying the nest will not do Lewis any harm whatsoever, indeed I think it will be the making of him and Jenson will help Perez mature into a truly spectacular driver of immense ability in the coming seasons.

To my eyes Lewis is the natural successor to Senna and Jenson is as cool and smooth as Jackie Stewart.

I've nothing but admiration for them both with or without faults and I've a feeling that we've yet to see the best of both of them.

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Yes, a good take on it. As you say similar to Senna in attitude, he just wants to win, and doesn't care about much else that goes on in F1 including any popularity contest the media want to play. Jenson is far more political in nature and has made a nice career out of what he does both on and off the track.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Good article Ian H i think one of the reasons possibly the main one is Lewis's managment team which seems to be driving him into the sort of set up Mercedes has also the marketing of the product is right up their street' they will try to make him into a super star plus and the finance is there, on the driving front it will be interesting to see how Rosberg reacts as he is still a German in a German team and i think lewis will find settling in there a bit more difficult than he may imagin, Mc Laren have built a lot of things around Lewis and with Jenson being the senior driver there let's face it even if they will not admit it he will be Number1 and he will bring Perez to be one of the great drivers if the basis is there Keith.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Lewis is certainly a difficult guy to like and the similarities with Senna are there.

Enjoyed Ian's post but have to say that film was no more a factual work than say TOWIE or Top Gear, Senna was not poorly treated by F1 he was just that kind of guy, Nelson Piquet came over from Brasil and played the Europeans like a fiddle.

No driver has been given the kind of opportunities Mclaren has given Lewis but to be fair Mercedes paid a lot of the bills. If his talent ends up being wasted like Emmo or Jaques I won't be sad, if he prevails fair play, but the real parallel is with his management stablemate David Beckham and the LA Galaxy move, lifestyle and money over sport.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
People are comparing this move to Schumi going to Ferrari, but it remains to be seen.

MS had two titles when he moved and there was no doubt he was numero uno in F1 at the time. He went to Ferrari and played the long game with class. He was still an arrogant tool who did appalling things on the track but he made it work in the end.

Lewis will probably throw a strop with his new team by the time Marc sees him in Malaysia when he should be in Marlborough (inside HO joke).

·
Premium Member
5,504 Posts
I find Lewis not even close to Senna...two different leagues.

My Favorite driver has always been Jenson, and even in the hard times he didn't pull a Hamilton,
Jenson has always been a cool friendly relaxed bloke...

Just because Hamilton had a fit does not mean he comes in any way close to Senna.

Just my thoughts and opinion....Hamilton overrated...Button.....(has) always (been) underrated

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
H'mm I'll have to agree with you to some extent.

It's all about perception really isn't it.

I'm not sure if we will see the like of Senna ever again in F1. There was a man who wasn't shy of speaking his mind or betraying his emotions outside of the car.

But talk is cheap.

What made Senna different was that he had such incredible drive and talent and he used those emotions to pull out these amazing performances that left you simply breathless.

Lewis isn't overrated in my opinion and he's definately one of the fastest drivers in F1 ever, but outright speed will only get you so far. He's a successor to Senna but he's not acheived anything near enough to be properly compared to him . . . yet.

As I say speed is only part of the equation, racecraft is far more important. Look at Alonso this year. At the first few races in 2012 the Ferrari was appalling but Alonso used all his experience and went just fast enough, pushed the car just hard enough with no wasted effort and he's likely to win the championship this year as a result.

Its been an amazing performance and if he pulls it off there will be no-one who can justifiably say that he doesn't deserve the title.

My only dissappointment is the Michael Schumacher's return has been what can only be described as a disaster. What I am about to say will get me shot by some of you I know but still consider him to be the greatest driver of all time bar none.

Yes he's done controversial things in his career. Taking out Damon Hill in Australia, clouting Villeneuve and failing.

But motor sport has never been about "after you mate!" has it? Jim Clark wasn't like that, nor was Nuvolari, nor was Emerson Fittipaldi or Nelson Piquet or Nigel Mansell etc etc so that makes him no different to any other driver in the annals of history.

But here is a man that drove the wheels off the Bennetton to beat Williams when their car was better and winning 2 world titles in the process. Then going to Ferrari. A team that had not had any significant success since Villeneuve or Pironi in 1982 and winning five (count them . . . five) world championships, racking up ninety odd wins in total.

Seven world championships, now thats a career. But he's had his time now and he should allow the new talent to shine.

I think Lewis will do well at Mercedes, after all the team used to be Brawn, which used to be BAR which used to be Tyrrell!

And you all know how I feel about Tyrrell . . . . don't you?

He'll do ok, in fact I hope he blows everyones doors off next year in a style that we can all admire and be proud of.

The trouble is I want Jenson to do the same too!

Who to support? That is the question!

I've really enjoyed this topic and seeing everyones opinion.

·
Premium Member
5,504 Posts
I am with you on 95%

Except the Hamilton Senna predecessor if it is anybody it is Alonso for me.
He does the seemingly impossible and is a fantastic driver...
Do not get me wrong i "was" not a fan of him but i could see he can turn poop into gold,
that is a Senna trade in my book.

Also agree on the Schumacher i never liked him i actually disliked him, still i would be lying to myself if i said he was not the best,
and for a man his age he performs great and he deserves some credit for that too.
The Mercedes cars have not been close to the championship contenders so that did not work in his favor either.

I am somehow warming up to Alonso to the point i find myself rooting for him....while i really want Jenson to get the title...or so i should

May have been a bit harsh on Hamilton but he is no Alonso or Vettel i think in identical cars he would be number 3 or 4 if Jenson gets his setup right.

Then again these are my personal perceptions and views and i am sure there are some people out there who think the opposite.
That's what makes live so great, else we would all have the same Slotcar Car clothes and root for the same guy or club etc etc

·
Registered
311 Posts
moving will do Lewis some good to experience another F1 team and the way it works. 2014 sees the introduction of new rules with 1.6l turbo engines with energy recovery and other goodies. McLaren are becoming a customer team and will need money to buy these new engines, which will cost more. Perez is handily backed by Telmex, so this may have helped him get a McLaren seat over Di Resta or Hulkenberg, neither who have a wealthy individual bankrolling them.
Plus i'm sure McLaren were pleased to 'steal' a Ferrari backed driver from under the nose of the Prancing Horse, even though Ferrari seem unwilling to give another driver a chance to replace Massa.

·
Ian
99 Posts
Who to support? That is the question!

And there's a question, for me it's simple I follow a driver.

But I have friends who follow teams, Ant is a Ferrari Fan and will always follow Ferrari no-matter who the driver combination is, I have McLaren friends and so on, but I've always chosen who I thought was the best driver of the day and supported him.

So my choice will not change, I just have to buy some new T-shirts

I can see some nice colours for slot cars too, though I'm not too keen on the Petronas connection

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Who to support?

Actually thats simple for me because this year I've been following the progress of Di Resta who thrashed Vettel in F3 (using exactly the same cars).

I think Paul is a huge talent and he's the guy I'm following with more and more interest.

I'm too tight (and too fat) to buy a T Shirt though.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I've kind of given up on F1 since I can now watch only half of the races, but if I was watching I'd be another supporter for Paul Di Resta, I was hoping he'd get Hamiltons seat at McLaren and join my other favorite Button. In my opinion Hamilton behaves like a spoilt child, I don't doubt his talent, but his attitude needs a lot of work. I've also warmed to Alonso these last couple of years. Kind Regards Jason

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
Again ....... another brilliant thread with carefully thought through statements, thanks for the great read ...

Perez will benefit from JB's experience and I wouldn't be surprised if PDiR doesn't end up on a Prancing Horse ...

1 - 20 of 55 Posts