SlotForum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen some threads and articles on SCX and Carrera cars taking a Scalextric digital chip. I've also seen that the SCX cars draw more current and thus, can fry the chip. What about Carrera motors? I'm thinking of chipping their RedBull Vettel F1 car. Also, what about Fly cars with a Scalextric chip? I know I could just try it, but I don't much want to go thru the hassle to run 2 laps and be done with it if its that bad. I have quite a few cars to chip and I'm just planning my investments.

Thanks for your input!

Regards,

-- Rakete --

·
Greg Gaub
14,653 Posts
First stop is the chipping database to see if a car you have/want has already been chipped, and what they did to chip it.
Next stop is probably finding details on the motor in the car in question.

Carrera motors are not a problem for Scaley chips, at least that I've found. They're not especially torquey or high speed. Most are very close to Scalextric motors, if not the same. I wouldn't worry about a Carrera car popping a Scalextric chip.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have chipped carrera, ninco, scx, fly and some slot.it(orange bell) cars with scaley chips. I did blow a chip in an scx car, but this was runnung at maximum load, and I had the same outcome with a scaley motor under the same conditions. BUT, blown chips are not wasted, I send them off to gmeyers to upgrade and have them in nsr and spirit cars with 25k motors. The alternative if you have space is to use the slot.it chip.

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Hi,
I have chipped 31 Carreras and 29 SCX cars without any major difficulties.

SCX cars can be the most awkward because of the copper springs connecting the lighting tracks in the top-half to the powered tracks in the bottom-half of the car. The other pain is having to modify the lighting circuit to avoid too much current blowing the LEDs.

The Carreras suffer from being, in my opinion, over-engineered. The sliding magnet and heavy gauge plastic have to be dealt with differently to other cars.

Once you get used to these foibles, they can be quite rewarding to do ......

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys - I appreciate the feedback. I have seen the chipping database - guess I was more looking for comments on long term reliability. Only so many dollars to spend

I'm encouraged by what you all have said!

Regards,

-- Rakete --

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rakete,

I would have to agree with the thrust of advice you have been given thus far by folk with far greater experience than me. However to provide you with my own experience (similar to your recent issues) I add the following:

I have an SSD track system and have been running it for around a year. I have chipped a number of Scalextric, SCX, Ninco, and MRRC cars. I originally used SSD chips in all cars and with the exception of SCX, all still have the original SSD chips running very happily. Unfortunately every single SCX car without exception blew the SSD chip in a relatively short period of time (no longer than 3 hours of use). After some research and discussion with resident experts, (along with my own experimentation being an electronics engineer) I changed the SSD chips for slot.it chips in the SCX cars only. With hundreds of hours of use and no other change, every SCX car is still running with no problems (slot.it chipped). All other brands continue to work with original SSD chips.

Hope this is useful.

Cheers
Tony

1 - 6 of 6 Posts