SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been racing my digital track for about a year now. I am very pleased with it. Dont get bored and still find it enjoyable and challenging to drive.
Rectangle Line Font Parallel Art
Motor vehicle Urban design Race track Vehicle Track

Approx 25m lap length

Now the issue.
I have noticed that one lane is slightly faster than the other. Its only really apparent when I race my son. We are evenly matched. And if one of us sits in the fast lane then it is practically impossible to overtake.
This doesn't really matter with multiple racers as invariably lane changes are forced by racing conditions.

The question is, should I put a cross over track piece into my circuit , therefore making it harder to stay in the fast lane without lane changing. ?

Has any one tried this? found it successful? or have any input/ ideas?

The other option is to put in a bridge to even up the lanes ( figure of 8 )
Rectangle String instrument accessory Guitar accessory Line Parallel

I'm slightly reluctant to do this as I'm concerned about visibility, and creating a difficult area to marshal.

Comments pls

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Hi, yes I have done It and we love it. It takes getting used to and a rule for which lane has to hold. Now people really have to change lanes more and think ahead.

·
Greg Gaub
16,799 Posts
Apparently this is SUPER RARE, as I always get grief when I tell people that this can be a problem. ;-)

Anyway, I would recommend against a crossover track (forced X), or a crossing (figure 8 but without the bridge) because they are just places that add to the carnage on a digital track (or analog one, of that matter). As such, the best way to even out the lanes a little is with a bridge as in your diagram. However, as you mention, sight lines are important, so when I design a track I try to make the underpass as straight as possible, with the turns before and after it as far apart as possible so that the only time you lose sight of your car, it's not having to negotiate any turns at all. This is one of the reasons I really like the "Bertrand 8" design. It might be a challenge on your table, especially without losing a lot of lap length, but I think it will be worth the time to try.

·
Greg Gaub
16,799 Posts
Not really... just EVEN drivers/cars. Any skill level could have drivers and cars that are even enough for uneven lanes to be a problem for passing.

It's funny to see the same people complain about 1:1 racing on tracks that have terrible passing opportunities, and how qualifying basically determines the winning order, then turn around and say that digital slot cars don't make any sense because you can't pass anywhere you want, or that I shouldn't complain about tracks where it's so hard to pass because that's like real racing. I'd just like a little consistency, if they're going to try to use either one as some kind of argument against digital slot cars. Yeah, I know... fat chance.

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
I would have a good look at my track and try to find way to tune it so that the "other lane" has at least a couple of good "overtake" possibilities.
Looking at your track diagram...I'm assuming that "red" lane is the "fast lane" ? Due mainly to the fact that its a bit shorter...and you're running anti clock direction?

Rectangle Font Parallel Urban design Automotive exterior

My first idea would be to see if an LC, preferably a curved LC could be placed on the exit of the centre left 180˚ corner. If stuck behind your son you could switch to green and you might be able to "claim" the inside line/lane on the centre right 180˚ corner. Off course you would need a second LC (again curved would be best) at the end of the middle straight to get back to the "Fastlane".
Moving the LC's you now have closer to the braking area's would also help. And finally adding some banking to the big corner on the right might also provide some extra grip for an audacious "round the outside" move.

With kind regards
Tamar

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
In theory that might work, but personally I would never do that, lower the voltage. A faster lane in digital I don't see as a problem, just hunt him down in same lane and wait for a mistake. Or win by better strategy. Or make that late pass on the back straight and change back with some risk. I mainly added crossovers (yes, now it are even 2) to have a poor man's blst (best lane), where I have 2 forced corner crossovers in the 18 m. track, where out to in has priority, but to have twice outer lane in a lap, you have to switch lanes. Our group of racers really love it, but I can understand it is not for everyone. The good thing is, it is easy to try. I would advice a corner crossover over a straight crossover (analog).

·
ParrotGod
10,975 Posts
I personally dislike any forced lane changing or interactions between cars (like the squeezes).
Even if you have parity in lane length, it does not mean that this automatically translates in parity in lap times.
And even so, if you are able to achieve this parity, this does not mean that you can overtake them...after all, if it is really parity then you will be running in parallel for several laps until someone make a mistake).

First looking at your track, I think you should invest in more LCs or change the positions of your current ones.
For what I can see in the pic above, most of the LC are at the beginning of a straight where even if you are able to take that at full throttle, you will still lose time if you are trying to overtake.
I personally like to have lane changers just before a corner where cars would be slowing down for their brake point before going into the corner.
Now, Tamar is hitting at something, but I believe he got the running directing wrong.
The idea is that you need to take advantage of the layout of your track, in particular where a lane that would be typical slower, might become the quickest route.
And you can achieve this by placing a XLC before a corner where the outside line (eg, the green in your example) becomes the inner lane (shorter hence quicker).
The nice thing about a XLC before a corner is that if you lane change moving from the outside lane to the inner lane you can have an advantage over your opponent that remains in the outside lane.
It might require a bit of practice but it works. It is like taking an ideal line through the corner.
The other key thing is that you need to have enough room to gain on your opponent (like a nice straight) and then having a corner on the opposite direction with another XLC before it where you can re-enter in the ideal lane.
Looking at your layout I can see two places where the green lane becomes the inner lane.
However, these are not ideal places where you could implement this because the straights before the corners are too short: you would need at least two and half standard straight to make this work reliably (one and half for XLC and one full straight before it).

Cut a long story short: either change your layout or come and race at mine ;-)

·
ParrotGod
10,975 Posts
Just by way of example, here is my current layout and the strategy I use for overtaking.
The outside line is 18.96m and the inner lane is 18.46. Despite being so short, the flow of this layout has kept us entertained since 2019.
The inner lane is the quickest of the two (an average lap is around 6 sec, a good lap is around 5.7 sec, the fastest lap so far as been 5.3 sec).
As you can see, I have placed all my LCs just before corners, except for one on the main straight (which I can take at full throttle).
There is only one place where to overtake without losing a ton of time and that is in the inner 180 corner (marked "Lane change to overtake").
Basically I follow closely the car I want to overtake and then change lane and accelerate slightly.
If you perform the maneuver right, by the time you have lane changed and are halfway through the corner you have a couple of lengths in front of the opponent car.
Once you are in front, then the first chance to get back in the fastest lane is another LC that is before a 180 corner.
If you miss that LC, then there are two more chances to get back.
If you are racing against someone that is at your same level, you might need to complete a couple of laps before you can reenter in the fastest lane.

Ecoregion Organism Urban design Terrestrial plant Font

I cannot get credit for designing this track (Damien did) but I think what works is that the 180 corner we use to overtake is mainly made up of R3 and R4 curves.
The inner lane of these radii is shorter but not as severe as R2 or R1 corners: you can take them at speed without deslotting and retain an advantage over the longer outside lane.

Reactions: Minardi

·
ParrotGod
10,975 Posts
On a serious note, I live on the north shore, if you want to meet and have a live demo on my layout over a weekend your a more than welcome. I might be mistaken but if I remember correctly you live in west Auckland, which is a good 40 min drive.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Anyway, I would recommend against a crossover track (forced X), or a crossing (figure 8 but without the bridge) because they are just places that add to the carnage on a digital track (or analog one, of that matter).
Just needs a lane changer with modded electronics to add a best lane setting and anti-collision :p

·
Registered
395 Posts
A faster lane in digital I don't see as a problem, just hunt him down in same lane and wait for a mistake. Or win by better strategy. Or make that late pass on the back straight and change back with some risk.
I'm of the same mindset. When racing qualifying should be rewarded. If two cars are that close to each other whoever qualified first should win. :)

·
Greg Gaub
16,799 Posts
I'm of the same mindset. When racing qualifying should be rewarded. If two cars are that close to each other whoever qualified first should win. :)
While I don't necessarily agree, at least that's a reasonable argument against evening out the lanes. ;-)

·
ParrotGod
10,975 Posts
You can reward drivers qualifying first with some extra points. I would find very boring a race where the finish position is dictated by the starting grid.
The way we race, pit strategy plays an important role. And in fact you can win or lose races because of it - this happens when racing is very close.

Reactions: MALAFAMA

·
Registered
395 Posts
I would find very boring a race where the finish position is dictated by the starting grid.
Doubt anyone thinks who qualifies first should be the (automatic) winner. Rather all things being equal (during the race) they should win. I find the most boring racing to be when the second place car can at will pass the first place car... say NASCAR at certain tracks.

Now watching the second place car push the first the entire race is fine by me. A mistake by the leader and he loses his qualifying advantage. The way I see it is you earn your spot and someone should have to take it from you or you give it away... either on the track or the pits.

Bringing it back to uneven lanes (via time not length) if you are second and want to win... earn it by going around them... they have the groove.

·
ParrotGod
10,975 Posts
Doubt anyone thinks who qualifies first should be the (automatic) winner. Rather all things being equal (during the race) they should win.
Getting a first position could be just a fluke on a lap...racing is another story.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Getting a first position could be just a fluke on a lap...racing is another story.
In that case second has the entire race to prove the other story which would be far from equal. Or like at Indy it would have to be at least four "flukes"... being four laps.

I mean let's look at real race tracks. Very seldom is there two equal lines around a track. Virtually always there is a preferred line and if you want to pass someone you have to go around them... get out of the groove.

I'm not trying to say qualifying is more important than the race itself. I get it... rather I just don't think everyone should be guaranteed equal lanes. Assuming the difference is within a better driver being able to catch and pass a lessor driver (within reason). Something like if you are better you should be able to catch and pass me within say twenty laps. If you can't you aren't really better. :)

On my layout the different between lanes is around two tenths of a second. Probably less since I don't drive the outside much and tend to take it slower since it's easier to fly off the table. Also the outer lane is easier to turn consistent laps on. So if you can't get far enough out front to cut me off I'm not going to feel sorry for you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts