SlotForum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello There,

I'm thinking about the scenery for my track, which is roughly based on 1970's Le Mans. One of the things that stands out in the pics of that era is the massive amounts of crowds attending. Luckily I'm doing a 1:87 scale track, so there are a ton of options for figures, but I'm wondering if anyone has some tricks for painting mass amounts of crowd figures relatively quickly, but where they still look good?

Unpainted figures are much cheaper, but sitting around all day painting little crowd members might make me go crazy.

Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks for reading,

Heath

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
Have you not looked on the model railway section of Ebay?
There`s a couple of firms in Hong-Kong/China selling painted figures really cheap.
Cheers
Kev

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
That sounds like it will take ages!! When I painted my figures the only thing I did to speed up progress was to get my wife and her aunt to paint most of the figures for me. When I painted them, a lot ended up in suits and tracksuits so I didnt have to keep changing colours every time for a different item of clothing. I also planned to paint one colour at a time so everything/every detail I painted the same colour, I painted together.

Other then painting loads of figures, another way would be to use printed cutouts/pictures of the crowd.

Sorry not much help

Matthew

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
There's a wargames painting technique for painting known as "Horde" that speeds up large scale painting where the models aren't all in one uniform. Pick one colour, pick up a model paint one thing that colour. Pick up another model paint something else with that colour. So that model one gets green trousers, model two a green jacket, model three a green cap, model four a green scarf etc.

Do this about a dozen times and then change colour.

Cuts out most of the waste of time caused by overthinking the task.

Something I use a lot when painting wargaming toys is to white primer all the figures and then paint in brighter shades than you intend the finished article to be. Don't waste time with highlighting or shading and where one colour finishes and another ends you don't need to be very accurate. Adopt the "arms length" technique - hold the model out at arm's length and if it looks OK at that distance it's fine even if bringing it up to short range displays a multitude of sins.

Then do an ink-wash of the entire model with Citadel Colour Devlan Mud or Agrax Earthshade from Games Workshop (the former is the old name, the latter the current one). This will shade everything, turns flat caucasian skintone into properly rounded flesh tones, highlights raised detail and softs the edges between colours hiding any scruffiness where you've "gone over the lines". Dries matt within an hour or two. It's the fastest painting technique I've learned in 25+ years of painting wargames figures.

Coop

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
That's interesting, I will try that on my figures. I always seem to get them looking too 'clean and crisp' looking, if you know what I mean.

When you say 'inkwash' is that a diluted with water?

I have painted about 150 figures over 7 years. I have just started using the acrylic paints which are quicker drying, but tend to leave them with the above finish.

It starts off as relaxing, painting them, but can get tedious! I find I leave it for a while and go back when I am in the mood, but this approach can take months!

I still have 5 boxes of mrrc figures, 2 metal fly pit lane figures which require assembly and about 3 sets of 20 of them old scaley grandstand figures! I am just finishing a set of SRA TV commentators and film crew. Should keep me going for a long time yet!!

Thanks for the tip

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
If you use Devlan Mud/Agrax Earthshade it's already the correct viscosity and doesn't need thinning down. Load the brush and then paint the figure with it, it will run into the recesses and cling to the edges of raised detail. It's hard to describe the technique in cold text but once the wash starts going onto the figure it's obvious what you should be doing, trust me on this one!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Greetings All...

Check out this web site: http://www.thearmypainter.com/

This company has a product called 'Quickshade' that is fantastic. I recommend you download the "Army Painter" how-to-paint-an-army document (in the upper right hand area of their home page). Even just the section on quickshading is fantastic... however, all of the tips for paintings armies applies to crowds of spectators!

They also make colored primers, so you can basecoat a bunch of figures in one color, a bunch more in a second color, etc, and then add details. Fast & efficient & looks great!

Bill W.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
QUOTE (loosesalute @ 2 May 2012, 01:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Have you not looked on the model railway section of Ebay?
There`s a couple of firms in Hong-Kong/China selling painted figures really cheap.
Cheers
Kev
Would you provide more info, Kev. I have searched 1/32 figures and usually get the more expensive stuff.
Any assistance would be appreciated as I would prefer to avoid painting if possible.
Thanks.
Cheers!

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Hi sealevel,

I have used the ebay company "wehonest" (dodgy name, great company). They have some 1/32 figures listed at the moment but maybe not a great range. However, they are worth keeping an eye on.

Cheers,
Philip

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Thanks, Philip.
I am familiar with them. I think they have O scale lights that look really interesting.
Cheers!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Great factory in Scotland (just round the corner from me) who produce a fantastic tartan paint in a can.

Line up your figures and 'Hey Presto' done in a jiff.

Google 'Tartan paint' and you should find them.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
These are great tips guys. The painting an army booklet is great. Going to have to see how much it is for all the paints involved in that. Could be a bit pricey. It might be cheaper to just order them painted.

Still working on finding that Tartan Paint. At $3,200 dollars a gallon (the only one I could find), it seems a bit much.

Thanks for all your responses.

Heath

1 - 12 of 12 Posts