SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Hello All

Although I'm not going to be able to start this project immediately I thought I would publish my plans.

Why? Because if I say I'm going to do something I can't then say I'm not can I?

So here we go . . . .

I'm going to turn this.

Into this . . .

Gulp I'm scared!!!!

Wish me luck!

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Interesting idea Ian.
I have the Polistil version which I purchased from Ebay and that is too shallow
at the front to accept a guide blade so its going to have to be cut and carved
about to make it into a decent slot car. So there is no simple route to building
this car. The other problem is decals, I have yet to see a decent representation
in 1/32.
Anyway putting aside the pros and cons this is one very interesting and brave
conversion.

Good luck.

Eric

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (EJI @ 4 Jan 2012, 22:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Interesting idea Ian.
I have the Polistil version which I purchased from Ebay and that is too shallow
at the front to accept a guide blade so its going to have to be cut and carved
about to make it into a decent slot car. So there is no simple route to building
this car. The other problem is decals, I have yet to see a decent representation
in 1/32.
Anyway putting aside the pros and cons this is one very interesting and brave
conversion.

Good luck.

Eric

Decals aren't the problem. See this link to the amazing world of INDYCALS in the USA.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (DJ @ 4 Jan 2012, 20:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Have you tried turning base metal into gold? I reckon that would be easier.
If you pull this conversion off I'll take my hat off to you.

Best of luck.

DJ

I haven't managed to turn base metal into Gold (yet).

BUT, if you look at the links in my signature you'll see that I've done ok so far . . .

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
I've started work on the bodyshell.

I've cut the top surfaces on the sidepod and joined them together. Trimmed down the bodywork behind the driver and added some filler around the windscreen etc.

In this image you can see where I've reprofiled the side pod to give a more "Wolfish" appearance.

I always find it useful to temporarily assemble the car to look at proportions.

From this pic you can see the the roll bar is wrong as is the front axle location.

Still there's loads to do but its not a bad start. I need to get the chassis from my colleague Graham at Bearwood who scored one for me at Swindon Swap meet at the weekend. That will give me a much better idea where all the internals sit before I do any more

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Well the temperature in the garage has improved so I was able to have an hour or so at my workbench to progress the build.

Essentially I have let the chassis floor pan and engine pod into the bodyshell and lowered the guide location with some dremel work.

I've also moved the front axle forwards and started work on the front radiator housing.

In this pic you can see where I've shaped the engine cover just behind the roll over bar and last but not least I'm going to be able to install a full body driver.

Still plenty to do but at least the rear wing is going to be easy! But so far I'm quite pleased with tonights progress.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
So quite a bit of progress today starting off with building up the front radiator inlet cowling using pasticard (and Milliput later on),

I've been working from plans on Carblueprint.com

Some steps later after some filling and dremel work I was able to get some primer on and do a quick re-assemble.

I think its looking fairly Wolf like? It won't be perfect, but then again what scaley model was perfect from the 70's era?

Once again plenty to do but good progress for today.

Feel free to comment.

·
Jon Grainger
3,825 Posts
Hi Ian,

That looks really good, you've captured that evocative shape so well.

I see you use Milliput for filler. One tip I have had, and it works well is to use 'P38' Automotive Filler, available from Halfords. It dries hard and can be sanded in 10-15mins, and goes really smooth when sanded, even with a rough sandpaper. When you consider Milliput takes hours to fully harden, its definatly worth a try,

Regards
Jon

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE (ferraif40 @ 22 Jan 2012, 09:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Ian,

That looks really good, you've captured that evocative shape so well.

I see you use Milliput for filler. One tip I have had, and it works well is to use 'P38' Automotive Filler, available from Halfords. It dries hard and can be sanded in 10-15mins, and goes really smooth when sanded, even with a rough sandpaper. When you consider Milliput takes hours to fully harden, its definatly worth a try,

Regards
Jon

I find Milliput hardens pretty quickly really when placed in my own home autoclave.

Of course by "autoclave" I actually mean in on top of the radiator in my downstairs toilet!

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Well I've got a coat of paint on, the radiator details installed, the chassis set up with front axle tube, rear tyres trued up and bedded in, the engine installed, wired in and running.

But it was a mildly frustrating night where a few things went wrong. I've lost the lovely engine top that I made somewhere in the workshop so I'm going to have to make that again from scratch and I had to repaint the rear wing after getting some glue in one of the endplates (no idea how I managed that).

But every so often you are going to get nights like that in the workshop aren't you?

At least the car is ready to run, even if it's not complete with decals etc.

I'm quite pleased with the progress though even if its not as far on as I'd like. Still all i've got left to do now is the really fun bit which is driver details and decalling etc.

Feel free to comment.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Some progress tonight:

Carb inlets re made (after losing the other ones if the workshop . . . . somewhere).
Inlet filter meshes made/fitted.
Engine details painted.
Extinguisher made and fitted.
Driver painted. Helmet detailing to follow.
Front suspension arms made and fitted/painted.

I might leave the decalling until this weekend when I've got more time and energy.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts