SlotForum banner

Cuckoo Pines

18K views 74 replies 46 participants last post by  Stevef1964 
#1 ·
I have posted progress of this track on this thread and it is now looking much more finished, i've even given the track a name!

Progress over winter was slow but as Spring has set in i have been able to really get on with it. All of the "base" scenery is done and all that is left to do is add buildings, figures and small details.

Most of my scenery is a mix of Woodland scenics and Javis. The tall trees are woodland scenic and at £12 for 16 are great value. They do come in kit form but are incredibly simple to make. I am trying to capture the feel of a west coast of America 1950's/early 60's SCCA club track. I have a set of Monogram Pit buildings, grandstands, Dunlop bridge (not the one in the picture) and loads of figures all from the 1960's. They all suit this era and should look pretty accurate for the era i'm focusing on. My Girlfriend provided the creative edge to the track when she painted the rocks and hill at either end, i think she did a good job.....

I haven't been able o do too much driving on the track yet but it is good fun, most of my cars are from the 1960's and they so far they seem to go well around "Cuckoo Pines".

I hope you like it so far and all ideas are welcome.

Thanks to LMP for hosting the above images, i really must empty some of my image folder!

Thanks

Pete

See less See more
#12 ·
Thank you everyone for your kind comments, i'm, hoping that i can spend some time trying my cars out on it tomorrow, i will let you know how i get on.

QUOTE I can't belive you were asking me for scenery advise!!!! You certainly don't need any

I'm flattered! But when i started i had no idea but the more i did the more i experimented and through trial and error i have come up with some pleaseing results. When will i get to have a go on your challenging track???

QUOTE What did you paint the Carrera track with?

I sprayed the track with regular paint primer (grey) and then i used normal wall emoltion paint which was slightly watered down and rollered on. The white lines are done with a paint pen.

I am hoping to finish the bridge/tunnel and pits next i will post updates when i do.

Cheers

Pete

#14 ·
Well, Pete, you do ask for opinions....
I sit here in a hotel in Catania, Sicily, with Mount Etna over my left shoulder, so scenery is in my mind - and half or more of a bottle of best Sicilian red truth serum in my veins ...

I really like the flow and elevations of the track, the grass areas and the dirt road are very evocative - but to expand on honestjudge's comments, your sig suggests that you don't use magnets, so don't you need some outside borders to hang the tail out a bit, and some barriers to catch the departures ? I run on Scaley sport, so maybe I don't appreciate that Carrera has more room. Even so, the track has the feel of sitting on, rather than in , its environs. It needs some rails, walls, fences or something. Are these in the development plan?

Cheers,
Tom.

#15 ·
QUOTE (scudbong @ 21 Mar 2009, 20:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm flattered! But when i started i had no idea but the more i did the more i experimented and through trial and error i have come up with some pleaseing results. When will i get to have a go on your challenging track???

Hi Pete
I've been really busy recently so haven't had a chance to sort any temporary barriers. There is also one bend that needs a little widening to compensate for the arse end!

I've just got the parts I need to make a lead for timing for my computer. I also need to get some parmas as I'm using crappy scaly ones at the mo.

As soon as I've sorted these I'll be ready for a proper run, I'll sort a night for another SF member to come over too so there will be 3 of us!

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
QUOTE your sig suggests that you don't use magnets, so don't you need some outside borders to hang the tail out a bit, and some barriers to catch the departures ? I run on Scaley sport, so maybe I don't appreciate that Carrera has more room. Even so, the track has the feel of sitting on, rather than in , its environs. It needs some rails, walls, fences or something. Are these in the development plan?

Hi Tom,

You are quite right i don't use magnets, magnets are for girls..... I understand your concerns about tail happy cars but the track is actually set at the same level as the scenery. I have used laminate flooring underlay to achieve this and the track is flush with the underlay. The cars do actually slide out and although they will run over the grass it doesn't upset them. The flock is pretty well stuck down so it doesn't make a mess. When i ordered my track i had to get the tricky bits from Germany and it was getting expensive, i would have liked some borders on certain corners but i decided i would be ok without them and so far i am happy with the way it works. I am intending though to have some guard rails on some corners, mainly the ones that overhang the rocky areas. It is not perfect or finished but this is only my home track and i can go to my local club for more serious racing

Cheers

Pete

#18 ·
QUOTE (scudbong @ 22 Mar 2009, 11:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Tom,

You are quite right i don't use magnets, magnets are for girls.....

Cheers

Pete

Ha Ha!.....shall I tell them what your cars had in them when we came over to test your track today???

The track is lovely, and the pix do not do the scenics justice. It really looks good close up.

A few barriers are needed but the real challenge is to drive as hard as you can without sliding out, which is possible, especially with the Carrera track which gave good grip. The track is not evenly matched as one lane has a clear advantage. As a test and play track it is outstanding.

Well done Scuddy

p.s. those cars had "weak magnets in"

#19 ·
QUOTE Ha Ha!.....shall I tell them what your cars had in them when we came over to test your track today???

Those cars with "weak magnets" were for your benefit as you are somewhat of a beginner on this type of technical track......

It was good to race against someone and it was good fun, yes it could be improved with a few borders and barriers but they are not essential as the cars are able to hit the "dirt" without coming out.

I now have all my pit buildings, they just need painting. Pictures to follow soon.

Cheers

Pete

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
Nice work

How did you paint the track edge white lines (I know what with) ? they look very uniform and follow the track perfectly, if you did those by hand, it must be a very steady hand you have !
Were do you get the paint pens btw ?

#24 ·
Thanks for all the positive comments it is very pleasing to hear that most people like it, i'm particularly pleased with Brad's comments, i'm glad you like you like it. It's thanks to you that i have gone down this route, your track was a big inspiration.

QUOTE How big is your lay-out actually?

Werner, the baseboard measures 4m X 1.5M, i would have liked it a little bigger but the room it is in is only so big.....

QUOTE How did you paint the track edge white lines

Pretty simple technique that i'm pleased i thought of. It took me no time at all to do the white lines, the method is as follows -

Take sections of your track, do as many as you can at once all joined together then on a hard smooth floor (laminated is good) attach your paint pen to a small block of wood, i used parcel tape, so that the pen nib is level with the track surface. Now run the block of wood along the edge of the track and it follows the track and you get a really good line. Obviously it takes a bit of fiddling with the block and you can slip but the more i did the better i got. A good tip is that once you have you pen set at the right height on the block of wood, mark it. I had to keep doing this becuase i did sections at a time i had to put the lid on which meant untaping it.

I got the paint pens forman Art shop in my local town centre, they do most colours and cost £3 each.

QUOTE what kind of primer did you use on the track

I used regular acrylic primer made by Hycote i think. Cheaply purchased form a boot sale.

Vic,

I am planning on having the Tendring guys over for a bit of fun, i'll let you know when it is on Friday at the club.

Cheers

Pete

#25 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well it has been a while since i posted an update of my track but here it is with plenty of pictures! My humble efforts which have taken a lot of inspiration from Brad Korondo's superb track will hopefully be a taster for the return of Brads promised masterpiece which i cannot wait for.

I have been steadily working on my track over the last few months and it now features a pit lane and control building. These were built for me by my good friend Mike Howard who created exactly what i asked for, see his website here The pit buildings are based on the old Monogram ones, i only had 2 of these which are both unbuilt and boxed and prices on Ebay are getting too high now so i had Mike copy them for a fraction of the price. The Control building is designed by both of us and Mike put it together and as with all the buildings i painted it. Lots of figures have been painted some by me and some by my ever helpful girlfriend, she did the hot chick in the Zebra print top! All the figures are Monogram as is the Dunlop Bridge, Grandstand and the cars in the pits, i think the Monogram stuff is excellent and it fits in with my theme perfectly. I still have lots to do including more hay bales, more figures, track weathering, some more fencing, camera stands more small buildings etc etc.

Anyway here are some pictures, i hope you like it and any ideas are welcome.

Sexy lady!

Say cheese!

Thanks,

Pete

#26 ·
love the fences around the corner.

fantastic work

cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.