Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm currently trying to make some red/white curbs for my new permanent track and i was looking for some inspiration from your own techniques.

I had a crack at it back it looks very basic at best. Looks too big for scale and a bit plasticy.

What are your techniques? What paint do you use? Materials. How do you draw up the shape and design of the curb?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have seen yours i think. You used foam and even went as far as filing in shapes to give them the rumble effect, if im not mistaken.

How did you get smooth and straight lines. Also how did you pick the size and shape?

·
Registered
283 Posts
DAS modelling clay seemed to give me good results.

As for size and shape. Alot of tracks have completely different types of kerbing. Look at some pictures of F1 cars riding kerbs through the chichanes of somewhere like Monza to gauge the relative size compard to an F1 tyre.

I just took inspiration from some of the tracks I have driven on, or pictures.

I also found they looked plasticy once painted. Initially I used gloss red and gloss white, which my local 1:1 track uses (horrible in wet!), but this was too shiny, so I repainted with matt white and gloss red then dirtied them up a bit. I'm happy with the result.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've not fixed it solidly in place, but none really. Its mostly only the F1 that touch them, and if the back is making a bit of a slide then its missing it. The only problem is sometimes if I've put it a little too close and drive REALLY slowly over it might stop, but I just move it back a little.

It's nice when your driving about watching it ride the kerbs. Feels like your making the apex a bit more

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I might have a go at using modelling clay, it seems the most obvious choice of material. Currently i have drawn and painted the curbs directly onto the posterboard i am using to border the track in that corner. I have difficulty painting straight lines and masking tape tends to pull up some of it.

With clay you have more of a boundary of where you are acutally painting. (follw the creases etc)

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
QUOTE (FuNkSty @ 11 Feb 2012, 09:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have seen yours i think. You used foam and even went as far as filing in shapes to give them the rumble effect, if im not mistaken.

How did you get smooth and straight lines. Also how did you pick the size and shape?

No, mine were painted on and don't have the rumble effect. I would use Bam's idea if I wanted that.

At some point I intend to paint mine out now as I'm going to convert my track to a full rally circuit, i.e. remove the pits, grandstand, etc. and replace them with another village. I'll still be able to race six digital cars on the two lane section if I want to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts