SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Whilst taking respite from the exhaustion of man handling an SCX Renault 5 around the track last night, I thought I would partake of sustenance, only to find some Muppet had left the packet open last week and my Custard Cream was soft.

Now while Custard Creams aren't a Jammy Dodger or indeed a decent milk chocolate digestive, they would be benefit from having some bite to them. Those that prefer them soft, or those older members amongst us who's teeth can't quite crack a fully hard biscuit can always dunk and soften to the required consistency.

Anyway I think I've said enough on the biscuit matter, to end on a positive note what a good night (ignoring the biscuit incident) with 13 people for the start of a new season, good racing all round I think.

See you all at the Swindon swap meet (where I hope the quality of baked products will be better).

Kevin

·
Registered
730 Posts
While on the subject of trackside refreshment I have to mention the cake debacle of last night. Upon observing a record attendance it became apparent the ten cupcakes I had supplied were insufficient it was with some shock I witnessed slingshotx help himself to the first cupcake. I was then dissapoointed to be offerred a (bargain brand) custard cream by way of compenstation.

To now find said biscuits had 'gone off' I am deeply offended. Now folk trying to offload old rubbish at a slot meet under the guise of doing somebody a favour is nothing new but I thing we need to adress this issue before it strays into EGM territory.

Yeah the racing was ok but I can't help but feel it would have been better had graham, rob and robin not attended for not only would there have been enough damn cupcakes, I would have won!

Happy new year

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a slight confession to make.
Unfortunately when setting up the monitor etc on the 'tea trolley' I did drop the packet of custard creams on the floor. Instinctively I went to call 'track' but managed to stop myself by remembering that they were easily picked up, albeit in a broken state.

I did throw one of the damaged confections away although had it been worthy of being called vintage I would have glued it back together using some of the icing from Marc's fairy cakes, and passed it off as new.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just as well I didn't make it or I would have had all the cupcakes before anyone else would have got near them. However, I don't think there would have been enough space for all the candles that would have been required for my birthday on just 10 cupcakes

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
I'm guessing this is not a good time to mention the sell-by date on the mince pies I brought to the Xmas meet then

·
Registered
730 Posts
Welcome to SF Marcos Mantula, folks I give you the best slot car racer I know. He even makes the A final when we force him to play HO. Neal are you a Capricorn too? That would explain our devastating pace, yours at driving, mine at consuming calories.

Robin because the christmas trophy was non championship I never thought to scruitineer your pies, lesson learned.

Julian, I cant argue with that but I have seen recent video evidence that leads me to believe I may need to check you still comply with the 34" rule at Kesgrave, I fail by a long way as those in adjacent lanes can testify

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Marc, this year I have moved into the over 34" classification

And don't you know the camera adds pounds - there were a lot of cameras that day.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
QUOTE (marctownsend @ 4 Jan 2012, 20:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Robin because the christmas trophy was non championship I never thought to scruitineer your pies, lesson learned.

Thank goodness I didn't bring buns.
(also lesson learned
)

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
I can't help feeling that this has gone far enough. When people start using words like compenstation frankly I lose my feather.

I didn't start slot racing at the age of 13 to be labelled an older member and I look forward to a return to the days of standardised beverages. comestibles and braid lengths.

Eric that was typical of the things you did back then in another context and I want to say in very few words that that's why we are here and I don' t want to b ring that up again but of course it did lead to it all as you know but won't admit and I am not going to rehash that again.

I think I have said enough, and very clearly.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
QUOTE (roblees @ 7 Jan 2012, 09:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I can't help feeling that this has gone far enough.

Well that might be your opinion, but frankly I don't think so. There are certain standards to be observed in today's Slot Car world that are doubtless a million miles away from what you might have been used to at the tender age of 13.

A man's comestibles should be fit for purpose, especially on a race night. It's hard enough to concentrate on the business in hand, without "soft options" being presented as some kind of recompense for a "Happy New Year Y'All".

And to top it all I even had to endure lumps of mince pie all over my tyres at the Xmas meet. That'll be another £7-8 to replace them as well. 'Bout time some common courtesy prevailed.

...and to top it all, when I type "tyres" into a message, I don't expect to get a prompt suggesting it should be spelt "tires"!

.......Then blow me down if the word "spelt" doesn't prompt me to consider 'slept'; 'pelt'; 'spent' or (I really don't believe this: 'spell')

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (dragrap @ 7 Jan 2012, 21:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>And to top it all I even had to endure lumps of mince pie all over my tyres at the Xmas meet. That'll be another £7-8 to replace them as well. 'Bout time some common courtesy prevailed.

I thought we had a gentlemans agreement about not using tyre additives, now we find out you're using some exotic fruit and alcohol preparation, it's not good enough. In future we reserve the right to taste test your tyres to check for illegal substances. If everyone follows your lead where will it end I'm considering trying an exotic mixture of orange peel and sugar solution ( commonly marketed as marmalade ), and I've had my suspicions of Karls use of Jammy Dodgers for some time.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I think you all need to be aware that Karl may have happened upon the solution to our dillema. At the swap meet he approoached me with .......... Jaffa Cakes, a cake that can be consumed like a biscuit (dunk compatable) and although the underside is suitable for tyre cleaning, much like the sponge of truth, contains no material likely to aid the mechanical interface twix track and tyre.
While some may view compulsory use of JC's restrictive, in a competetive enviroment you give people a window they are gonna jump through it, innit!

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I suspect a combination of sponge, chocolate and orangey bit might make for a very grippy tyre, don't BRSCA cars use sponge tyres with additives?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Orange coloured sponge tyres were all the rage once. The single compound rules that prevail these days may preclude the use of a whole JC as a tyre but I really like the way you flatlanders think. Let's see if we can get the shires on board.

Were you lot not connected to an orangy bit once??

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
QUOTE (marctownsend @ 10 Jan 2012, 12:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Were you lot not connected to an orangy bit once??

Yes, and they liked it so much they're trying to rebuild it. BTW we've got a couple of new "real ale" pubs in the area now, one in Ipswich and one in Felixstowe, we can knock up a quick oval on Saturday the 11th and then head off to the pub.

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts

As a mod I just wish all threads were this well written and stuck to important slot related topics.

By way of further discussion may I introduce "Bacon Fries" into the discussion?

The black bin liner that passes for a waste bin at Farnham is over flowing with empty crisp bags, I find the oil on these fine products does wonders for long term grip levels. However I would suggest you quickly ban those pink wafer biscuits being used to true Tyres!

Carry on . .....

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE (JEXY1 @ 10 Jan 2012, 17:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

By way of further discussion may I introduce "Bacon Fries" into the discussion?
This is a serious discussion on the merits (or not) of soggy baked sweet biscuits, your fired savory snacks are not welcome here.

Now I agree "Bacon Fries" have their place, but surely that place is in the type of drinking establishment that sells tepid Lager and no real ale whatsoever, certainly there's no place for "Bacon fries" at an FLBT meeting and more importantly who's heard of dunking "Bacon Fries" in a nice cup of tea?

Last nights meeting was a vaste improvement, with Karl providing a selection of premium (and in-date) biscuits, we had a choice of Custard Creams or Bourbon's, although Graham's complaint that the biscuits were a bit to hard for his false teeth has been noted, and will be mentioned at the club AGM.

Last night was also the first round of this years classic F1 championship, the turnout was a little down with "just" 9 of us. Some excellent racing with some quite close races all the way up the board, and a good win for Robin.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Julian, sounds like a cracking plan but I can go one better. How about I persuade the brothers Wharton to stick the portable track in the scenic and we can spent all afternoon in the pub. I have long aspired to get our dear leader out on a 'sesh' and a lack of anythhing else to do leaves him out of excuses. Sunday morning said siblings can put the track up whilst we enjoy a full english. A combination of adherence to procedure and careful driving should mean a good time had by alll.

Mr mod man, apologies for the testiness of slingshot but he aint from round here, can't tell you his real name or where he's from but any reference to Mr Turvey is not funny ok!

Interesting graham should get a mention in a post about a Mod, I understand as well as a line in TCR jokes when we are talking matters of national HO importance he also owns a Honda C90 with a load of reflectors on it.

Really missed you guys last night I had to make do with a packet of Lidl jaffa cakes and old episodes of wheeler dealers, hope you managed without me x

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
QUOTE (marctownsend @ 11 Jan 2012, 13:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Julian, sounds like a cracking plan but I can go one better. How about I persuade the brothers Wharton to stick the portable track in the scenic and we can spent all afternoon in the pub. I hhave long aspired to get our dear leader out on a 'sesh' and a lack of anythhing else to do leaves him out of excuses.

Sounds good to me, though an afternoon and evening of real ale may lead to a heavy expenditure on air fresheners from Tesco.

Apparently our magnetic HO leader enjoys going to Harvesters, though that is better than the Hungry Horse (do they have these outside of East Anglia?)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts