SlotForum banner
181 - 189 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 · (Edited)
Thanks for the kind words Ken.

We're in hurry up and wait mode.

There is a lot that the camera doesnt show. Black is a difficult car color to show minor flaws on, but the eye catches them right off. While the drip edges above look defined, they are still a bit rough. I have a tool for finishing their appearance, but I prefer to wait for the donor plastic to harden fully.

When the repairs are sufficiently hardened the tool glides and kites cutting along the intended path. Should one force the issue on portions that are not fully cured, the tooling will bite/dive and veer away; cutting as it pleases, often with disastrous results.

I'll kill time by fitting the vent posts, polishing the inside of the body, scouring away any remaining play wear;

or working on one of the 842 slot projects I have simmering on the back burner.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Bill,

Stellar work.

The 'Camino quarters are amazing, inside and out.

But, is it just me or did they manufacture it looking like it has been hit and the rear pushed downward?

Air shocks, maybe...

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
Funny looken', yes Bob. Thanks for stopping by.

It was the crunch for a pic or two. Making a grab for a chassis. I hadnt, and havent, given wheels n tires or stance a second thought beyond; "Gee, that looks funny". During the restoration process, I learned long ago to stuff a chassis between the posts and lock the body down while things cure. Preventing weird "sets", and warps, keeps the twisted surprises down to a bare minimum. Sometimes merely having things hang in the clamps the right way while curing can make all the difference in the world.

To be sure the giant chrome reverse with 70's on the back, and orings on the front arent really helping the cause. Those rims are crying for white walls and vintage pie crusts ... and no fenders, which has Zero to do with the Hellcamino.

I get away with a lot, but certain models wont allow nonsense, The 'Camino doesnt offer much latitude. The list of maybes isnt exhilerating. Vincent makes a decent facsimile of the Ralley Sport wheel, although they errantly call it their 'Vette" rim. Tyco 440 fronts can be whittled into a passable mid 80's IROC Camaro rim. You can low pro 4 early Xcellerator rears and almost fake the "American" slot dish.

Aftermarket rims, most of which are goofed out to 1/64; so everything looks like my High school parking lot, or an Otto Whirled add. A complimentary 1/72 rim that keeps everything within the drip edge is always a scramble. Toss in the unreasonable requirement that they also be round, and things get dicey.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Well...

It is cheesy to suggest stuff without chopping and posting myself.

I have done some of that, but it is crude at best and additionally I am too lazy/inept to post.

That said, and with an apology in advance...

Perhaps the maestro might consider putting an inverted "pie" shaped chunk of red stuff somewhere near the rear of the doors to hike the entire derriere to a more appealing level?

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

(ps--thx again for putting an idea or two to work on "miss behavin' ")

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 ·
Ariel reconnaissance of D-Day.

A-pillars go in first thing. The vent posts go in last due to their delicate nature.

After the rough buff, it's not unusual for me cut back areas that still need attention.

Cleaving bulk stock is one way to make the thinner, lineal pieces of good density that are required for vent posts. A good uniform chunk-let is required. A smoothly cut part with good clean ends makes all the difference in placement and finishing.

Obviously they are ungodly tiny, so one has to pick the right day and have a clear head. I always make extra. A bit larger than actually required, thinning to the final size happens after installation.

The insert points on the body are pre-wet with small dots of black goop, and the vent posts are carefully fumbled into position. They tend to stick some what in place; and are carefully manipulated into their final location, by careful nudging and prayer. It isnt uncommon to have to re-wet as you proceed, in order to keep it sticky but movable; rather than dried, stuck askew, and just out of place.

Once the position is final and they have flashed off, similar to sweating a plumbing fixture, the graft is gently washed in. Assuming the viscosity is correct, the solids go into any voids, and the volatiles wick away and evaporate across the broader surfaces. A gentle flick of the brush blends the immediate sill area and smooths away any irregularities.

Following some careful blade work to crisp up the vent post origins, I'll make a special micro sanding board to smooth them off.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 ·
Happy Thanksgiving

Nice to see you John. We need more regulars here!

With the weather befouled, I get a little time to tinker.

The bumpers were fitted to the black Camaro. The front supplied was actually a Model Motoring ll SS version, but they can be shaved to fit. After things set up, I ran over it with Scratch an Swirl remover. I'll give it a few days for any comebacks to rear their ugly heads, and ship it back to Al.

The blue Model A panel was finally assembled.

Tip: The fender module shrinks a bit over time. More often than not this tends to lift the rear fenders off the chassis, for the goofus look.

A few strokes with the file to bevel the face of the screw post rearwards, settles the body height.

Every so often I like to pick up one of my many incomplete projects as a distraction. I'd been wanting to get my Xcellerator rods up on their wheels.

A short chunk of stock is used for a block off plate. It hides the naughty bits and keeps the front axle from wandering around.

The rear body mount is a cleat made from scrap bits. The AFX panel makes for plenty of room for the taller Xcellerator workings

Unholy fun fun fun by golly! These mutants really move. Although lightly captured by the body now, the addition of a grill will stabilize the front axle.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
The ghost of Christmas past.

Some years ago I built and then launched this rail a few times, then set her aside because the "easy" wore off; and a bunch of hard tasks lay ahead. Smart guys chop and trim their glass while they're chopping the roof. That way ya dont have to build a ship in the bottle later

Period cool drag pipes arent real plentiful. It's even harder to come up with something that'll take a licken' too. I ended up using the Hot Wheels versions that I'd originally picked out. Space was scarce and it took a bit of touch n go to get it all clearanced.

As a one chunk molding the pipes are plenty solid. The curve wraps neatly around the apron. Just the right length, they are protected by the wheels and tires. A loooong time coming, Im tickled with the way this turned out.

Might be a 'Vette

After bonding the fenders to the hood, the seams are filled ...

... and then cut back down. You can just make out the transition.

Turns out a common pink eraser is the correct sized build buck for joining the front and rear halves.

Next up is the A pillars and glass fitment.

Never in a big hurry, I'll doodle around both the inside and outside of the grafts to perfect what we do have; until I can come up with donor material for the rear wells.

181 - 189 of 189 Posts