SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. A few weeks ago I ordered an Arii Toyota Supra plastic kit, with the intention of converting it to a slot car. This whole idea came about after I watched this video, which I thought was pretty cool: Supra drifting (Thought I might as well share it with you too)

I went to the start of the Gumball Rally in Covent Garden last year, but I didn't see that Supra anywhere. So I googled it and from then on began googling all sorts of Supra's and then decided I wanted a Supra road car for my collection. I have a JGTC Supra and while it is a lovely model I didn't think it would make a very nice road going version. Luckily, Arii do the 1/32 kit.

The body is very nice and crisp, but I do have one criticism. The rear bumper and tail light secton is not attached as part of the main body,and when fitted there are small gaps either side. This can be easily fixed, I imagine, with some filler. I'm planning to do some body modifications so will sort it when I come to do those.

I was thinking of fitting the car with a wide body kit, something a bit like this: Diecast Supra

That's not a particularly nice model - I dont like the front end or the wing - but it gives you an idea of what I want to do with the fenders. Im not sure whether or not to go as wide as that at the back however. I'm going to keep the front of the model fairly standard, as the front bumper doesn't appear to be stock anyway. The spoiler it comes with is certainly not stock, even though the picture on the box shows a stock Supra with stock wing and front bumper

At the back I want to have twin exhausts like the diecast one above, and maybe a diffuser of some sort. Wing wise, I may make one myself or use one from an existing model. I think one from an Aston DBR9 might work quite well.

Paint wise, I am undecided, but that's a while off yet. I do like the white, black and gold colour scheme.

This is the first time I have ever attmpted something like this, so of course it will probably not turn out how I hope. Wish me luck!

If this has caught anyone's attention and you plan to follow the progress I will of course be updating the thread with progress pictures along the way

Cheers!

AM

·
Registered
913 Posts
I'll be keeping my eyes on this one!

Love the supra's and I'm sure you'll do it justice!

·
Horlicks Hero
1,940 Posts
Subscribed.

I have three Arii kits (no Supra, though) sitting in a box upstairs, and I'm curious to see what's involved in such a conversion.

Best of luck,
Stuart.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you
Depending on the success of this I may do a Mazda RX7 afterwards

·
Horlicks Hero
1,940 Posts
The RX-7 is one of the kits I have. I don't really want to do a Street Tuner type job on it, but am struggling to find much in the way of proper racing liveries. Hmmm, perhaps I'll need to look around the drifting scene for some inspiration.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi there. I'm itching to get started with this project, so I'm going to order some supplies

I have a question... How easy is milliput to use if you are a novice? I'm thinking of doing the body mods with a combination of that and plasticard. Is it very forgiving?

Thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
QUOTE (Aston man @ 3 Jan 2012, 15:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi there. I'm itching to get started with this project, so I'm going to order some supplies

I have a question... How easy is milliput to use if you are a novice? I'm thinking of doing the body mods with a combination of that and plasticard. Is it very forgiving?

Thanks

Milliput is good stuff, I'd recomend the "superfine" one (white box black text) as it dries white and also is very very smooth when sanded down and carved. Always apply more filler than what is needed between the gaps as when its dry you can just smooth the excess over with some good quality sand paper.
Good luck with the build! I am certainly going to keep an eye on this as I LOVE Toyotas and the supra was by far my favorite car in Need for speed most wanted :]

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the advice Alvarez
I shall order some of the superfine stuff.

Glad you will be following the progress
I love Supra's too, but my favourite car was most definitely the BMW

Cheers!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Im following this! im always interested in things like this. Someone trying their hand at something new and creative good luck with it aston

·
Jay Botteri-Lane
2,138 Posts
Looks like this is going to be a popular project, Bezzo - I'll certainly be following it with interest. I'd considered doing something similar with a Mazda RX-7, but I've so many other unfinished projects on the go right now that I've sworn to clear my bench before starting anything new.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Fair enough jay the rx7 sounds quite good as well.

I think it woukd be interesting to see more cars taking on the modern car scene. I know a lot of it would be style over function but it could be interesting to see! Although I dont know how you do half of the mods yet!

Im still having fun playing around with a cheap little metro haha!

The resin kits iv seen on psr looked quite good I liked the idea of building up something using their pcs chassis and modifying it all up. The chassis themselves are not a bad price at all id be worried about ruining a good body!

All comes with time and practice I spose!

·
Jay Botteri-Lane
2,138 Posts
QUOTE (bezzo @ 25 Jan 2015, 00:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The resin kits iv seen on psr looked quite good I liked the idea of building up something using their pcs chassis and modifying it all up...
Well, Bezzo... it's funny you should mention that, as I'm actually working on a PSR Mazda MX-5 at this very moment!

So far, it's going great... the shell is really neatly detailed and, with a bit of clearance work to thin out the arches, it now sits nice and low on the PCS32 chassis. I'm going for a 'road-racer track-day special' kind of look, and it's my first attempt at tuning a PCS for the club circuit - but, I got lots of great tips by searching here on the forum and I'll be putting my own thread together once I've worked everything out and taken photos of all the construction stages.

Threads like this one are really useful when it comes to doing something for the first time - for me, that was 'tubing' the front axle. Don't worry about ruining a model... just be careful, do your research and take advantage of those who've posted the benefits of their experience!

·
Slot-A-Holic
5,504 Posts
Aston man has been a bit quiet the last 3 years.

Seems the last time he logged on was November 2014 you may have to wait a while for an update.

Hope he is ok.

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
Looking forward to seeing this. A supra with a tricked out body kit is up there in my to 5 cars.

I have a spare Ninco JTGC that is screaming out for a street racer paint job.

·
Jay Botteri-Lane
2,138 Posts
QUOTE (Wraith @ 25 Jan 2015, 00:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have a spare Ninco JTGC that is screaming out for a street racer paint job.
You should probably put that extensive list of potential projects of yours into a poll - that way, we can all vote on which order you build them in!

·
Jay Botteri-Lane
2,138 Posts
Yes, yes... I noticed that after my post on the 15th - thought I was 12 days late to the party, but it turns out I was 3 years and 12 days out!

LoL... not to worry - if the thread he started back then has inspired Bezzo, Wraith and myself to get on with our own Jap Tuner projects, then at least it served a purpose. Still, I'd be interested to know how Aston Man's build turned out...

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
Oh great, another car on my wish list.

Anyway, we should get back ontrack with this thread.

Ah, hold on, just read how old the thread is. Love it when old threads come back to life.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts