SlotForum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the Scalextric slotracing and their variety of track pieces ect, but it is sad that the pro market has to do a lot of private mods
in order to make a perfect slotcar track.

Especially when it comes to digital track pieces Hornby lack behind the other brands. Therefor I was very excited when I read the following
topic http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?...20507&st=15 regarding custom made track pieces. I made the SLC
track piece my self and result was very nice, I my own opinion anyway.

After making that track piece I was looking on the SCX and Ninco digital homepage and saw they had made double CLC's or crossover CLC
or as I call the track pice XCLC. After doing a lot of thinking I discovered that if I took one Out2IN left CLC (1xC7007) and one In2OUT left
CLC (1xC7008) and then cut the two CLC track pices into two, as I did when making the SLC and after that I had to cut the 2 half CLC track pieces into two half again and then take the 4x 1/4 track pieces with the flippers and put them together again it would give a XCLC track piece.

Cutting the two CLC's into half pieces is simple but cutting these two pieces into 2 halfs again was more difficult as it has to be a rounded
cut and the cut has to be the same on all 4 half CLC track pieces. To do that I needed to make a mold of the 1/4 CLC trackpiece. Lucky for
me the CAD department at work draw an exact model of the 1/2 CLC or the same as an C8206 RAD2 curve track piece. The cad program
could then brake that model of the 1/2 CLC into 2x 1/4 CLC pieces. A guy in the production department made the mold from the drawing for me.

After that I cut my C7007 and C7008 into 4 track pieces and put the 4 pieces with the flippers together.

I then melted the pieces together with my solder iron, first the half track piece with the start flippers and then the half track piece with the
exitflippers

When the two half track pieces was melted together I melted those pieces together also and finally got my XCLC track piece

Then the rails need to be attached

The only problem left was the center part. I got a crossover track piece C8203 and cut the center piece out

and cut a matching piece out of my XCLC track to fit the new center piece.

Finally I had my new XCLC track piece

Now I just need to do the final wirering to get power on all the rail sections.

To make the XCLCtrack piece perfect I also need to do the "power to the flippers" mod, but I have to do a plan of
the wirering as the space on the back is a bit tight.

Anyway I am happy with the result.

·
Prof I T
11,162 Posts
hi
very nice indeed.Looks very professional.
And have to agree that the number of lc sections is limited.

There should be a lot more designs released.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
Speechless...

Btw - welcome to the forum!

You are not Hornby staff member in disguise trying to show off the new track piece before the event on Sunday?

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
WOW!
Simple elegance, is what I call it.
Kudos to you Ciberviking, and thanks for sharing on your first post!
Welcome to the forum (I see you did not rush into posting after joining....
)

Cheers!

·
Damien Straw
562 Posts
You've done an awesome job, there's no two ways about it! let's hope Hornby/Scalextric will notice this and get their act together!

Cheers,
Damo.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally got around to do the "powered flipper" mod to my XCLC trackpiece.

As there is not much space left, the 4 relays are placed in each end of the trackpiece.

Whether a car is going straight ahead or changing lane 2 relays are always triggered and therefor the matrix board for the soldering has to be 3x9 holes as

2 extra wires have to go from the matrix board to the exit flipper relay when a car is going straight ahead.

Of cause the hole center part has to be wired up as well because there is no connection between the center rails anymore.

I have already incorporated the new XCLC trackpiece in my permanent layout and everything works perfect.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Where can I get details of the relay wireing. I guess its the trick that lets you liven the outlet flipper.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thats superb, and your attention to detail is excellent, I wish I had the patience, and the money to buy the items required. If scaly were to produce these extra pieces then it would probably work out cheaper than what it cost you in materials and time. Come on Hornby start expanding your track range...eg. this CXLC a straight single LC left and right, a proper pit lane entry and exit from both tracks. What about a range of made to order special pieces (at a cost of course). Just my wish list really.

.Anyway fantastic job cyberviking. Do you take orders?

Mal

·
Digital "Tea Boy"
777 Posts
QUOTE (malw @ 23 Jun 2011, 09:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thats superb, and your attention to detail is excellent, I wish I had the patience, and the money to buy the items required. If scaly were to produce these extra pieces then it would probably work out cheaper than what it cost you in materials and time. Come on Hornby start expanding your track range...eg. this CXLC a straight single LC left and right, a proper pit lane entry and exit from both tracks. What about a range of made to order special pieces (at a cost of course). Just my wish list really.

.Anyway fantastic job cyberviking. Do you take orders?

Mal

Lovely job CyberViking, but I think what Mal says is quite true, as Scaley users we are being neglected when it comes to new track pieces, I mean the current digital tracks are like 4-5 years old and nothing new from Margate? C'mon Scaley! If Adrian is still on here, can't you have a word with "The Board" please?

·
Administrator
10,131 Posts
Cyberviking can you explain the logic to the exit flippers? If you are going straight ahead does lane A entry and lane A exit relay operate, but if you lane change does it switch to lane A entry and lane B exit?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Correct Riko

I used the layout for the CLC from KEITH's thread.

Diagram for the connections on a Powered Flipper CLC:

I just extended the layout to 4 relays and the matrix board is now 3x9 instead of 3x7. The 2 extra wires is the red and black from the extra plug in the diagram above. After that i copied all the wirering incl. matrix 3x9 to the extra new plug for the xclc.

And sorry for my slow answer, have been very busy for the last couple of month. But i can see light at the end of the tunnel.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hi, This is factory toolroom quality prototype development at the highest level, well done. Am I correct in my assumption that this post constitutes a copyright (patent). to protect your design from theft by world manufacturers in the toy industry?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts