SlotForum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I thought some people might be interested in my first 1/32 effort in probably 20 years. I had an extra new Sunoco body shell because I needed an extra chassis to put the white unpainted 917/30 body kit I bought a while back. The 917/30 is my FAVORITE car of all time, and I wanted to make something really special. I did something I wanted to try for quite a while: using an actual photo of Mark's face inside the scale helmet. I also had custom decals printed which allow me to do just about every version of Mark's Sunoco and Cam2 closed face Bell helmets from 1972-1975 (I chose to make this one as it was his last Can Am race at Riverside in 1973 before retiring). I think my photos will speak for them self to the corrections and improvements I tried to make to this. I can at least share some of the photos with you here. If you have any questions, fire away. doug

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
That's one of the first slotcar drivers I've seen that actually looks like the real bloke it's intended to be! Never ceases to amaze me as to the difference a good driver model makes to a car, I'd held off buying any of the Carerra Can-Ams because the driver head in them is absolutely bloody awful.

Coop

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
now why didn,t some one think of that before, if you can print off sets of different faces? i,m first in line to buy a few, pm me if you,ve got any faces left. youve done a fabulouse job on the hemet and paint what a difference it makes. john.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Hi Doug

Brilliant work !!!

I'd second what CoopDevil said.
Do fancy one of those Porsche's though.

Schumacher's head/helmet is WAY too small in my Carrera Ferrari F1 2002 model.
It makes the car look HUGE.

Great idea with the photo of Mark.
Love the working visor as well.
Very inspireing.

Cheers

Si.

·
Digital "Tea Boy"
777 Posts
That's just too sweet! Love the visor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (FZSsemans® @ 21 Jan 2012, 08:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>looking so much better! wow.. what has #5 for a change?

#5 was hopefully done to show a different angle of the atrocious shape of the original helmet to the new one, the lack of seat-belts, the weird way the legs "attach" to the torso, and again wrong suit color, but mainly the upside down steering wheel. Carrera did make a pretty good Momo-based steering wheel used in the 1970's, but for some unexplainable reason, they made it so it sets 180 degrees out of alignment. Sure, sort of a dopey thing to pick on, but it was just so wrong to me (something that I was able to correct pretty easily).

Also, I really liked the way the new photo-face turned out in this photo, sort of like Mark looking directly at you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
DJ,

Nope, I've never seen it before. I goof around a lot with Photoshop, and I knew I could never paint a face to the level that I was satisfied with it (I've tried in the past). So over 6 months ago I ordered my separate driver's figures and made my sheet of various sized images of Mark' face, but everything got put on hold for quite a while as our mom's health declined. She finally passed away in November, and I'm slowly pulling out old projects and getting some modelling done again. It did give me time to think things through and pick up a couple of things I used for this project.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Simply BRILLIANT!!!

I really hope this original idea (and excellent execution) will inspire
the likes of Racer, NSR and LMM (maybe also Slot.It) to raise the bar.
The rest of the makers probably couldn't care less.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts