SlotForum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some brass tube for use as a sleeve for front axles it is 1/8 round brass tube. I have just purchased a cutter which says it cuts from 1/8 but I think it must be that I went cheap it will not cut through the tube as the cutting disc hits the bottom before it has made a mark on the tube.

Can anyone advise me of a tool which actually works for this task.

Thanks

Marvin

·
Phil Smith
2,622 Posts
Just take a sharp strong knife blade such as a Stanley Knife, place the tube on the bench and roll the blade over the tube where you want the cut, a few rolls will cut it off clean and true, easy peasy!

I've tried those small cutters and they never work.

·
Administrator
9,651 Posts
Marvin,

Use a sharp No. 1 X-acto type hobby knife (long, triangular blade). Roll the tube under it a few times, trying to stay parallel to the tube, then snap off! You will have to file the ends to make sure they're flat and even, but this is still the easiest way to do it...

Don

·
Kitbasher
4,247 Posts
Exactly right, I did not believe it when Graham Windless showed me this trick!

·
Administrator
9,651 Posts
Yeah, but then you can use it for scraping paint and other useful things...

If you want a really sharp blade, try a scalpel (hint from Pierre-Yves...)

I even know where I first learned the knife trick: from a 1966 issue of Car Model magazine, in which Mike Morrissey explains how Team Russkit builds their chassis out of 1/16" brass tube - so it must have been known even earlier than that.

I also got one of those special brass tube cutting tools, an original 60s model from International I think, and also found it pretty useless...

Don

·
Phil Smith
2,622 Posts
QUOTE I even know where I first learned the knife trick: from a 1966 issue of Car Model magazine, in which Mike Morrissey explains how Team Russkit builds their chassis out of 1/16" brass tube - so it must have been known even earlier than that.

My Dad taught me when I was a very young lad, but I learnt most of my modelling skills from him.
He was a very much a 'scratchbuilt' man and frowned upon anything shop baought and made, but most guys were the same in those days, he thought Airfix construction kits were the work of the Devil!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, I have now perfected the blade style and the cutter is going in the tool box to rust into none existence.

Marvin

·
re member
4,019 Posts
I have used the knife/blade method. I have used the dremel method. Sometimes I even use the cut off tool that K&S make...it works.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts