SlotForum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
In finishing off a 1930's car yesterday I came to fix the knock off wheel nuts. These are of the cast white metal type and I fondly imagined that they would be a glue-tight fit in the wheel boss. Not likely!

The wheels are PCS spoked (factory fitted) and have a solid centre, so the first job was to drill out 3/32nd to take the nut spigot. Don't try this at home. I immediately found that the bit I was trying to drill was a separate loose fitting facsimile of the hub centre which just revolved freely under the drill pressure. A close examination of the wheel revealed that it appears to be formed from two pieces which trap the two spoke discs and the dummy hub centre between them. I hope that this photo reproduces clearly enough to show the fine gap between the pieces.

Automotive tire Rim Alloy wheel Automotive wheel system Tread

The solution appeared to be to file off the spigot on the back of the nut and glue it to the wheel centre, but how to hold the tiny thing? Attempts with fingers failed dismally and I was lucky not to lose one on the floor. The spigot was however long enough to grip in a pin chuck, and white metal is soft enough to cut with a razor saw, and so it was done.

Audio equipment Gas Cylinder Engineering Machine

Bumper Wood Gas Automotive exterior Natural material

Snow Event Terrestrial animal Soil Paw

The original is on the right.

I hope this helps someone.

Keith

Attachments

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Hi Keith.

So you're the one who bought up all Pendle's 2-eared wheel nuts!😊

I think what you have are the wheel nuts designed for the insert kit sold by Pendle. This kit has a hollow centre and the nuts are an interference fit right away, once you retrieve them from the floor.......

Wish I could say I was close to finishing off the car, though!

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike.

I realised that the nuts were from something else but didn't know what. I have a lot of unlabelled odds and sods kicking around that "will be used sometime", including gears from the inside of a Smiths mechanical alarm clock. They were culled in the days when the only gears available were MRRC bevels in two ratios only, and Eldi's (yuk). I don't think I'm likely to use them now in these days of plenty- but you never know.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Hi Keith.

So you're the one who bought up all Pendle's 2-eared wheel nuts!😊

I think what you have are the wheel nuts designed for the insert kit sold by Pendle. This kit has a hollow centre and the nuts are an interference fit right away, once you retrieve them from the floor.......

Wish I could say I was close to finishing off the car, though!

Mike

Attachments

·
Slot Car Racer and Builder
1,863 Posts
Good tip thanks I hadn't thought of that. I even have a spare chuck that doesn't fit on my pretend Dremel.

cheers

DM

1 - 6 of 6 Posts